Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198809 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #1020 on: September 15, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »
Fire-Souled is a +3 level adjustment.

Ouch...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

syntax_error

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Let loose the hounds of RAW
« Reply #1021 on: September 15, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
Well, immunity to dazing and stunning, +4 charisma, 1/day haste, free Leadership feat, aura of bardic music, and a power-lock ability are really neat things to get out of a template you can pick up whenever you want.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1022 on: September 15, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »
Well, immunity to dazing and stunning, +4 charisma, 1/day haste, free Leadership feat, aura of bardic music, and a power-lock ability are really neat things to get out of a template you can pick up whenever you want.

Yeah, the LA makes sense when you look at it, but it still hurts.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

syntax_error

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Let loose the hounds of RAW
« Reply #1023 on: September 15, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »
LA always hurts. Level adjustment is like elective surgery: generally painful, and not always useful.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #1024 on: September 15, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
Fire-Souled as +1 LA would be way too overpowered just with the short-circuit ability since Spells counts as a Special Ability (so any caster whose DCs are Charisma-based could be shut down using that ability - something that I discovered earlier when looking at Unseelie Fey (for Winter's Chill) and Magic-Blooded (just the Charisma boost) because those had been frequently mentioned earlier).

I have a semi-complete list of all the classes that have either spells or spell-like abilities that are shut down by the ability in a text file that I'm still working on (and intend to post when it's finished since it's a good piece to reference for players using the template).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1025 on: September 15, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »
I thought it was too good :P

OK. Anyone know of a good LA +1 template to go with Feral? I was thinking Draconic, but Dragonwrought makes me a Dragon already, so I would prefer something else.

Sinfire, the Rite gives SLA. Greater Rite gives +1 Sorc level. It is here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

Near the bottom.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1026 on: September 15, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
Here's a question: what if I go Sublime Way Marshall//Bard?  Excellent buffer and support, as well as party face?  The question is, is straight bard worth going that many levels into?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1027 on: September 15, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
Bard is OK. Solid Tier 3 if done right.

Wow. I just saw what Magic Blood and Unseelie Fey is about. If I roll right, Unseelie would actually give me one of the things I was looking for (dragon wings), but I am confused by Crystalkeep (again). On one column, it says "Tends towards Evil" and on the other, it says "Always Evil". Which is it supposed to be?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1028 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:02 PM »
I thought it was too good :P

OK. Anyone know of a good LA +1 template to go with Feral? I was thinking Draconic, but Dragonwrought makes me a Dragon already, so I would prefer something else.

Sinfire, the Rite gives SLA. Greater Rite gives +1 Sorc level. It is here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

Near the bottom.

Ah, so I had them mixed up.

Here's a question: what if I go Sublime Way Marshall//Bard?  Excellent buffer and support, as well as party face?  The question is, is straight bard worth going that many levels into?

Bard of Death usually can swing a party's luck around. And if worst comes to worst, you can always take a Bard PrC with Jade Phoenix Mage levels mixed in to keep up.

Bard is OK. Solid Tier 3 if done right.

Wow. I just saw what Magic Blood and Unseelie Fey is about. If I roll right, Unseelie would actually give me one of the things I was looking for (dragon wings), but I am confused by Crystalkeep (again). On one column, it says "Tends towards Evil" and on the other, it says "Always Evil". Which is it supposed to be?

Compendium lists it as always Evil. Note that Unseelie have Dragonborn flight abilities, including the levels they are gained at.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1029 on: September 15, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »

Bard of Death usually can swing a party's luck around. And if worst comes to worst, you can always take a Bard PrC with Jade Phoenix Mage levels mixed in to keep up.

Where is that from?
Notes to self

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #1030 on: September 15, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »
Wow. I just saw what Magic Blood and Unseelie Fey is about.

Nah, it's all about using Winter's Chill as a massive de-buff (adjacent enemies take a morale penalty to all saves equal to your charisma modifier) along with your own charisma-based DCs (such as the Fire-Souled ability to short-circuit other charisma-based (in terms of DCs) abilities such as a Sorcerer's ability to cast spells, etc.) to double the efficacy of maximizing Charisma. The wings are certainly nice, but that's just an added perk. ;)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1031 on: September 15, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »
Nah, it's all about using Winter's Chill as a massive de-buff (adjacent enemies take a morale penalty to all saves equal to your charisma modifier) along with your own charisma-based DCs (such as the Fire-Souled ability to short-circuit other charisma-based (in terms of DCs) abilities such as a Sorcerer's ability to cast spells, etc.) to double the efficacy of maximizing Charisma. The wings are certainly nice, but that's just an added perk. ;)

Nah. I just want it for the wings. Unfortunately, I can't play Evil characters worth beans, so I will give it a miss.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #1032 on: September 15, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

Where is that from?

I guess SiFir is referring to the Dragonfire Inspiration Bard....

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1033 on: September 15, 2008, 08:11:54 PM »
Uhhhh...Andy, how are you taking the Greater Rite of Passage again?  When it requires 6 HD?
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1034 on: September 15, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »
I haven't. Yet. That is why the guy is CL 3, not 4. The question is for later.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1035 on: September 15, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »
...ok, my original build ideas have all been changed, and I think I've decided on what I'm going to be.

Draconic Human Sublime Way Marshall//Rebalanced Paladin.

Tank and buffer, as well as party face.  Ooohhh, and maybe I'll take the leadership feat and start running around with my own army,[evil laugh] hehehehe.  [/evil laugh]

What does the party think?  And SiFi, you ok with that?  Well, except for the army part anyway.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1036 on: September 16, 2008, 12:54:37 AM »
Your own army? You are speaking to the Dread Necromancer, yes? :D

-----------------------

Anyway: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80746

Only things left to do (I think):

- Confirm Draconic Template. Am trying to stay away from that one as Draconic Dragon is just silly. Looking for something else that would work. Any suggestions? LA +1 max, no Evil types

- Complete Sorcerer spell selection. Suggestions?

- Martial Weapon choice for the guy. Leaning towards Great Club, but not 100% sure. Prefer a bludgeoning or ranged weapon. Suggestions?

----------------------------------

Wait. Is everyone else Good or at least non-Evil??
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:22:23 AM by AndyJames »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1037 on: September 16, 2008, 01:32:38 AM »
Your own army? You are speaking to the Dread Necromancer, yes? :D

Wait. Is everyone else Good or at least non-Evil??

Yes. :P

And yes, I've been keeping track.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1038 on: September 16, 2008, 01:39:25 AM »
Good. Being the Lantern Archon in a Balor meeting would be... unfortunate. :smirk

I'll repost the above thing in the Min/Max forum.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1039 on: September 16, 2008, 04:24:42 AM »
Good. Being the Lantern Archon in a Balor meeting would be... unfortunate. :smirk

I'll repost the above thing in the Min/Max forum.

I'm doing a Paladin build.  I knew to check alignments of the other players, heh.

Sounds like a plan. I'll have to get a build worked out, and it'll take a bit since I'm working with two homebrewed classes I'm not completely familiar with.
Notes to self