Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 199231 times)

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2008, 12:20:37 AM »

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »
Hmm. ...  Thinking of doing a Cleric//Society Mind now, if it's permitted.  I love playing support characters!!!  :D

Oh, and is the Wild Reaper variant Druid from Dragon #311 allowed?  It makes me hap-hap-happy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:48:43 AM by NineInchNall »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2008, 05:46:48 AM »
Yay, I love Society Minds !  :love Still haven't played one though.

Unseelie Fey is a LA +0 template ?  You gotta love Dragon.  :clap
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2008, 06:23:19 AM »
I'm going to be a music box.

No, seriously.  Y'all gonna just LOVE me.  Since we're going for a video game feel, I'm going to be Gato from Chrono Trigger.  With some . . . modifications.

He's Bard/Crusader.  This frees up the Factotum/Warblade for whoever wanted it.

Danke Janus!

And is that your Casio keyboard build? Sexy  ;)

I
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2008, 07:53:48 AM »
Society mind is great in large parties, and in Gestalt, well, you never feel lost (like you sometimes do when playing a single classed one).

Given the writers, you can be sure there's no balance issue with this one too

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »
Since so many people want to play Druid, I might consider playing an 'Inspirator' Bard/Marshall... could be interesting  :)
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »
Gargel has a preliminary build up. While it's not quite as cheesy as Unseelie Fey, he can open a combat with a 20ft jump (at which he auto-succeeds), then swipe at his victim for 16d6+24 if all his attacks hit a flat-footed opponent. He gets less impressive from there, but it's a pretty strong opening gambit. And he can pass one point of essentia down to either AC or stealth ability, and still make his DC 20 Jump on a 1.

I'm still working on equipment. He really doesn't need that much, and I'm not sure how much gold he should get.
I know gameology-fu.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »
I refurbished the Symbiotic Template abuse, because there was an error in the type requirement of one template, it should be good now  :)

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »
At the request of Janus, who for some reason can't wrap his mind around the idea :eh, I've knocked the flight speed off Mirro. 

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2008, 12:32:16 PM »
Well, people haven't really mentioned what sub-setting they want to play in, but a Wizard could be nice too. A Conjurer or a Transmuter - perhaps with War Weaver....... and Archivist on the other side ?

At the request of Janus, who for some reason can't wrap his mind around the idea :eh, I've knocked the flight speed off Mirro. 
But, JJ, the gospel ?!?
Also, your character seems to have a flight speed...   :smirk
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »
Wizard/Archivist has the problem of overlapping too much to be really viable; both have good will save and spells and crappy BAB... combining Duskblade with Wizard or Archivist could be fun though  :D

JanusJones

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »
Well, people haven't really mentioned what sub-setting they want to play in, but a Wizard could be nice too. A Conjurer or a Transmuter - perhaps with War Weaver....... and Archivist on the other side ?

But, JJ, the gospel ?!?
Also, your character seems to have a flight speed...   :smirk

It was the flavor issue.  NiN doesn't believe in backstories, or indeed in any need to meld function and flavor - we both have reached a certain platform from which function more or less becomes flavor. 

But the idea of a flying man-weasel was a bit much for me.  I at least gave my guy a description and **brief!** backstory that explicated being an Unseelie Fey Warforged - he's a Feycraft, a living being created by faerie craftsmen as a gift for a king.

A flying faerie man-weasel requires even more backstory acrobatics.

But hey - I ain't the boss of NiN.  You do what you want, mang!

. . . I do reserve the right to laugh at your flying man-weasel, though.   ;)

FYI, the Society Mind/Cleric will be INSANE.  WAY crazier than his other build, and in many ways, WAY cooler!

I'm doing my best to kick back and be sassified with my guy as-written.  He's very versatile (knows everything, buffs everyone with a +4 to hit, +4 to damage, and +5 to saves vs. charm/fear, and swats people with maneuvers combined with Flyby Attack), buff, and flavorful - I think he'll be good fun.  Plus, having to write in rhyming iambic pentameter promises to lead to some entertaining communications.

Still, the possibilities of this game are enough to make my head spin.  Seriously.  I mean, imagine a flying character with dual martial adept classes and Flyby Attack, for insane swooping maneuver-filled fun!  Or a Scout/Martial Adept, who would land maneuvers that would hit harder (thank you Skirmish!) and still be a skill monkey/trapfinder! 

. . . this is why I'm trying to just be satisfied with what I've got.  I could generate this kind of shit all day . . .

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »
It was the flavor issue.  NiN doesn't believe in backstories, or indeed in any need to meld function and flavor - we both have reached a certain platform from which function more or less becomes flavor. 

But the idea of a flying man-weasel was a bit much for me.  I at least gave my guy a description and **brief!** backstory that explicated being an Unseelie Fey Warforged - he's a Feycraft, a living being created by faerie craftsmen as a gift for a king.

A flying faerie man-weasel requires even more backstory acrobatics.

But hey - I ain't the boss of NiN.  You do what you want, mang!

Backstory acrobatics my arse.  ;) 

Mirro was a typical member of the unseelie court in the plane of (Eberron comes to mind for some reason) Thelanis, flying around and enjoying playing harmless pranks on other denizens and planar visitors, until he dumped porcine excrement on the head of the wrong itinerant wizard.  The wizard promptly changed the better part of the hapless fairy's form to that of a weasel and kicked him out into the prime material with the admonishment that he had better change his tricksy ways.

I just find the whole "you have a weird character so you'd better have a damn good backstory" thing retarded.  :P

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
I just find the whole "you have a weird character so you'd better have a damn good backstory" thing retarded.  :P
+1

ps; Sinfire will have such a hard time digging through our random remarks and answering the relevant questions  :P

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2008, 02:43:26 PM »
Heh, yeah.  Poor Sinfire.   :smirk

JanusJones

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »
So fly man, fly!   ;)

You crazy weasel you.

I should make a Totem Druid/Whatever.  Or maybe a Xeph Soulknife/Chaos Monk using the sub levels from Untapped Potential . . . there's just something extra-special sexy about chucking a storm of mindblades at people.  Of course, I *could* make an ultimate mage-killer . . .

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »
Hey SiFir, you want to move the ice setting here?  And all of the game here?  Gleemin is really getting on my nerves, and I'm sure it's getting on other's nerves as well.  It's seriously been down four times in the last 15 minutes.  Up long enough for me to click on one thing each time.

From the looks of things, it seems that they managed to fix most of the problems. At the very least, I have yet to get the Database Error message.

To the others: OMFG... remind me to never leave for more than three days. I think I may need to go into the shop just to keep up with you guys. More multiposting comming soon.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »
Hail Great Sinfire for thou hast returned and brings cookies and beer everlasting joy in the campaigns to come.

When would it suit my Lord to explain the division of the campaigns and the players therein? /suckup :blush

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »
Heh, yeah.  Poor Sinfire.   :smirk

You all can be nice enough and post again :)

Hail Great Sinfire for thou hast returned and brings cookies and beer everlasting joy in the campaigns to come.

When would it suit my Lord to explain the division of the campaigns and the players therein? /suckup :blush

I think everyone is waiting for your announcement, sir!  :P

For me, I'm thinking in a Moon Magus (green/silver) with something that grants some kind of aura....

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
Tons.

I'm claiming Factotum/Warblade, for fun with ninja-riffic moves.

* Factotum/Warblade: Font of Inspiration (1st), Font of Inspiration (human), Font of Inspiration (flaw), Font of Inspiration (flaw), Font of Inspiration (3rd). 15 points of inspiration = attack, damage, and savez goodness.  Plus all the fun of being a skill monkey AND a bit of a bruiser.  Int synergy helps out too.  Good times.  Pick up Autohypnosis and Iaijutsu Focus.  Use niffy maneuvers.

Some other ideas I've been playing with:

* HULK - Fighter/Psychic Warrior: Azure Talent (1st), Psycarnum Infusion (human), Overchannel (flaw), Talented (flaw), Power Attack (Fighter 1), Improved Bull Rush (Psychic Warrior 1), EWP - Meteor Hammer (Psychic Warrior 2), Combat Reflexes (Fighter 2), Knockback (3rd).  Boom!  I'm LARGE!  Boom!  I have 30 ft. of reach!  Boom!  I am smacking you with Aoos!  BOOM!  I am smashing you into things and flinging you about!  Raargh!
    * Chaos Monk/Psion: Monastic Training - Psion (1st), Azure Talent (human), Psycarnum Infusion (Psion 1), Overchannel (flaw), Kung-Fu Genius (flaw), Tashalatora (3rd).  A 3rd level monk who acts like a 6th level monk with a bunch of replenishing power points and Int to AC (which, along with Inertial Armor, makes you kind of hard to hit).  Made of fun.
    * Silverbrow Human Totemist/Scout: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (1st), Dragonfire Strike (human), Shape Soulmeld - Fellmist Robe (flaw), Darkstalker (flaw), Improved Soulmeld Capacity (3rd).  Shoot tail spikes to deal 4d6 x 3 = 12d6 damage in three firey spikes of doom.  W00t.  Also play the skill monkey and hidey dude. 
    * Incarnate/Feat Rogue: Improved Spit (1st), Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (Azurin), Point Blank Shot (flaw), Improved Spit (flaw), Precise Shot (Feat Rogue 1), (Feat Rogue 2), Deadly Spittle (3rd).  Spray 4d6 acid damage in a 45 ft. cone.
    * Krinth Druid/Sorcerer: Shape Soulmeld - Dissolving Spittle (1st), Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (flaw), Share Soulmeld (flaw), Shadowform Familiar (3rd).  Enjoy having a 3d6 ranged touch attack (spit), that both your pets duplicate.  Spray 9d6 worth of acid at your enemies every round.  Please note that this is BEFORE casting any spells.  Yeesh.  Go into Beastmaster from Complete Adventurer later on to have more friends that can spit at your foes.  Your Shadowform Familiar will be a sexy lil' guy, and be able to scout things out nicely (what with being incorporeal and such).  Flavor-wise, maybe make this guy a "lord of serpents," and give him a couple of snakes (one viper as a familiar, one constrictor or viper as a companion).  Otherwise, maybe go for something handy like a bat (yay for blindsense!) or some such.

Incidentally, I'm a bit curious as to why animal companions, who were already an unbalanced and really BUFF feature of the unfairly BUFF Druid, have been given MORE POWER.  This confuses me to no end, and in fact makes me a bit grumpy.  You're giving the companion better stats, the freedom to be customized with FEATS (?!), and FLAWS to add on MORE FEATS?!?  This is a HIDEOUS power boost for a class that is already made of awesome and win, and I'm hard-pressed to see why anyone would want to have anything else as part of their gestalt (except for hating on casters and being a weirdo like me.  I'm like a d20 Luddite - I refuse to play using sensible levels of magic).

For the Druid questions: I deal with that level of optimization IRL every damn campaign I play. I can deal with the companions readily, as they are no more powerful than standard characters. You guys should be considerably more potent than normal characters due to optimization alone, though I can't say I'm not expecting a number of druids in the games. I always look at highly optimized parties as a challenge, and I rarely change my mind about the rules once I write them down (though anything truly unbalanced is out). That said, I'd appreciate it if we could avoid Riding Dogs outfighting the party's Warblade/Egoist on a regular basis.

As to why people would play anything other than a Druid on their Gestalt side: Just because you have Win buttons doesn't mean I don't have them. This setting always has an enemy who can defeat you outright without much of a fight (the Gigas, you should never fight them on foot!). And Druids are kinda unsuited to seafaring (or should I say skyfaring?) campaigns thanks to most of their companions not being able to fit or fight on a boat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]