Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition  (Read 157087 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« Reply #820 on: May 07, 2010, 01:24:27 PM »
Looking for something I can progress with another PrC with it's own list. Chameleon won't work for that, since it specifically doesn't qualify, per it's class ability.
You could qualify with something else.
It's not an arcane casting class though, it can mimic being an arcane caster (or a divine caster, or both, depending) a certain number of times per day, so you can't really advance it, as I recall. Am I incorrect?

Well you can advance the spellcasting gained from the class although it could be argued that its unique nature keeps it from being advanced nothing in the rules explicitly forbid it.

Frost Wolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #821 on: May 07, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
Q190 I'm building a Psy War using the Soulbound weapon variant and starting at level 1. I wish to have my special weapon be of a special material (such as glassteel, mithril, crystal, etc) or crafted specially by a race (Dwarven craft, Gith craft, etc). Can this be done, or will I be stuck with the cheap weapon I choose at level 1 being the only weapon I can summon? What if I select a weapon that I can't afford by W.B.L?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #822 on: May 07, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »
Looking for something I can progress with another PrC with it's own list. Chameleon won't work for that, since it specifically doesn't qualify, per it's class ability.
You could qualify with something else.
It's not an arcane casting class though, it can mimic being an arcane caster (or a divine caster, or both, depending) a certain number of times per day, so you can't really advance it, as I recall. Am I incorrect?

Well you can advance the spellcasting gained from the class although it could be argued that its unique nature keeps it from being advanced nothing in the rules explicitly forbid it.
I would rather actually take the levels in chameleon.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: May 07, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
A 189: If you're counting Knight of the Weave, then you can count Suel Arcanamach
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #824 on: May 07, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Q 190a Is it just my imagination or is practically every variant version of the human race better than the original PHB version?

Q 190b The Silverbrow Human. I'm reading it, but not quite getting exactly what it says. It's stating that you get everything that a base human gets, and more, minus bonus skill points. Okay, but which skill points? The +1 each level? The +4 you get at 1st? Or both?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #825 on: May 07, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »
Q 190a Is it just my imagination or is practically every variant version of the human race better than the original PHB version?

Q 190b The Silverbrow Human. I'm reading it, but not quite getting exactly what it says. It's stating that you get everything that a base human gets, and more, minus bonus skill points. Okay, but which skill points? The +1 each level? The +4 you get at 1st? Or both?

A190a: Some builds are really in need of extra skill points so PHB human can be better, like binders or sorcerers.
A190b: You lose all bonus skill points with that variant.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »
A190a: Some builds are really in need of extra skill points so PHB human can be better, like binders or sorcerers.
A190b: You lose all bonus skill points with that variant.
Yes, but most of those variant human builds give you those extra skill points. They just usually choose your bonus feat for you. So if you can optimize with that, you're golden.
Okay, so you would therefore lose the +4 at 1st AND the +1 per level after that???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:18:45 PM by kevin_video »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #827 on: May 07, 2010, 11:19:42 PM »
Q 191 Is there any particular reason why Winter's Champion requires you to be a 1st level paladin when you don't even gain spells until 4th?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #828 on: May 07, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »
Q 191 Is there any particular reason why Winter's Champion requires you to be a 1st level paladin when you don't even gain spells until 4th?

Using Wands with those spells?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: May 07, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »

Using Wands with those spells?
I suppose. But you shouldn't be limited to being first level though.

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #830 on: May 07, 2010, 11:28:25 PM »
Q 190b Okay, but which skill points? The +1 each level? The +4 you get at 1st? Or both?

190b

Humans just get a +1 skill point per level.
Imagine this as +2 int for the purpose of skills.

At first level, you get [Base Skills + Intelligence Modifier] x4.
That's the whole point of the 4 extra skill points at lv.1.

If you don't get the bonus skill points to begin with, you don't get the multiplier.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #831 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:40 PM »
They don't want people cheesing the entry, so they just say "you gots to have paladin levels".
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #832 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
Q 190b Okay, but which skill points? The +1 each level? The +4 you get at 1st? Or both?

Humans just get a +1 skill point per level.
Imagine this as +2 int for the purpose of skills.

At first level, you get [Base Skills + Intelligence Modifier] x4.
That's the whole point of the 4 extra skill points at lv.1.

If you don't get the bonus skill points to begin with, you don't get the multiplier.
Nooo, I don't think so. If that was the case you'd never take Silverbrow Human in a million years.

EDIT
They don't want people cheesing the entry, so they just say "you gots to have paladin levels".
They don't say that though. They say you have to be Paladin 1. Not that you have to have paladin levels. I'd totally accept the latter.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #833 on: May 07, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
You lose the bonus skill points with Silverbrow.  This includes the 4 extra at 1st and the 1 extra beyond that.

That said, the Dragonblood subtype and spell-like ability (and resulting caster level) are more useful for some builds than the skill points.  Sorcerers are generally better off with Silverbrow over normal humans due to the Dragonblood benefits on some spells and feats.

Azurin trade the bonus skill points for 1 point of essentia and a limited favored class (Soulborn instead of Any).

Karsites don't lose the bonus feat or skill points, get +2 Con and Cha, spell resistance, spell healing, and magic item suppressing touch attacks.  They lose the ability to cast spells and gain LA+2.  Still, there are times when they're a good choice.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:55:49 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: May 07, 2010, 11:55:37 PM »
You lose the bonus skill points with Silverbrow.  This includes the 4 extra at 1st and the 1 extra beyond that.

That said, the Dragonblood subtype and spell-like ability (and resulting caster level) are more useful for some builds than the skill points.  Sorcerers are generally better off with Silverbrow over normal humans due to the Dragonblood benefits on some spells and feats.
Okay, this I can see.

That's true, but some characters who have classes that give them heavy armor can benefit from the dragonblood as well. It was interesting to see that you could switch off the armor, and get dragonscales instead. Granted it takes 8 hours to grow them, and 10 mins to shed, but still.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #835 on: May 08, 2010, 12:30:44 AM »
They don't say that though. They say you have to be Paladin 1. Not that you have to have paladin levels. I'd totally accept the latter.
Are you also under the impression that you can't take power attack if your strength is 14?  Prerequisites are minimums not maximums. 

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #836 on: May 08, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »
q192:Are chains made of stronger material ever an official option?
192b:How would you recommend restraining a dragon?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: May 08, 2010, 12:39:52 AM »
Are you also under the impression that you can't take power attack if your strength is 14?  Prerequisites are minimums not maximums. 
Now why would I think that? It CLEARLY stats STR 13. Which means that you're minimum is 13, but you can have it any higher. But what if I was? I wouldn't be the first DM to go "Oh, but it doesn't say 13+ so therefore..." I've dealt with them before. And no, if it says you have to take it at first, you take it at 1st. Unless you house rule it. Hence why it says "1st level only". And that's what you get used to seeing. You see class 1st, and "1st level only" enough times, it automatically makes your brain think "This must be one of those feats too".

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #838 on: May 08, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
q192:Are chains made of stronger material ever an official option?
192b:How would you recommend restraining a dragon?
192a: Yes
193b: Huge amounts of non-lethal damage.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #839 on: May 08, 2010, 01:06:17 AM »
Q194? If I have a Dungeon Crasher using Leap Attack, does the Leap attack's bonus to Power Attack stack for Knockback purposes (so I could have something like PAx4 on a bull rush)?