Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition  (Read 157084 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2010, 10:50:40 AM »
A 24

Epic items in the EPH have their cost multiplied by 10 in addition to the normal price formula. As far as I can tell, it's a dumb arbitrary additional cost to keep up with the huge amounts of wealth PCs get at epic levels.
So as written, your item would cost 490k, simply by virtue of it being 'epic'.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »
Q 25a: An Uthraki (UE) can auto-qualify for the Shapeshifter PrC from OA, aside from needing 2 HD and 10 ranks in Concentration.  It has a +1 Int modifier.  What are the best two levels it can take to get the requisite ranks in Concentration, and get a spellcasting progression to make use of the spellcasting advancement from Shapeshifter?  A level of Ranger and a level of Duskblade seem to be the best option.

Q 25b:Any good divine caster options, perhaps to take advantage of Nature's Warrior?  Black Guard would be good, but feet-wise hard to qualify for (2 levels of fighter could probably do it, but...)

Q 26a: This is perhaps a bit of a 3.0/3.5 transition conflict.  The Uthraki has an Alternate Form ability, which says it works like Alter Self, but allows an uthraki to take the form of any Small or Medium Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid.  If an uthraki were to turn into a Dark One (FF), would it gain Sneak Attack?

Q 26b: If yes to gaining sneak attack, can it use that sneak attack to qualify for a prestige class, then bootstrap itself into qualifying for the class when not in Dark One form, once the class grants enough sneak attack dice to qualify for itself?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »
Q 27 I'm looking for a list of good spells to stich to a spell stiched undead... has anyone seen such a thing in the forum?
Dead mortals feel no Dread

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
There was one on 339, I cannot locate it though.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
Q 27 I'm looking for a list of good spells to stich to a spell stiched undead... has anyone seen such a thing in the forum?
animate dread warrior takes the cake.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »
Q28 What would be the best wands or eternal wands to use with the Deathwand Crossbow from the Arms and Equipment Guide (103-104).  The character is a SCM.

Deathwand Crossbow:
+2 Light-Crossbow
Can hold 2 wands, which can be activated by the person holding the weapon.

"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »
A 24

Epic items in the EPH have their cost multiplied by 10 in addition to the normal price formula. As far as I can tell, it's a dumb arbitrary additional cost to keep up with the huge amounts of wealth PCs get at epic levels.
So as written, your item would cost 490k, simply by virtue of it being 'epic'.
Agree. Just slap on another +1 ability to get a +5 armor with +2 worth of abilities and it'll be much cheaper, Genuine.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »

A27:  Animate Dread Warrior, Awaken Undead, Animate Dead, Major Creation, and IIRC there's a spell that's basically raise dead for undead that would work too.

JaronK

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
Q24:Regarding epic armors and such. The table lists the prices of epic armor enhancements up to +20. However, there is a gap in prices between +5 and +6 (25k -> 360k). That text indicates that the prices listed are for pure enhancement bonuses, but not abilities added to it.

How would you figure out the cost of an epic item with a low level ability? Say, +6 armor of light fortification. It's effective bonus would be +7, but the +6 bumps it into epic range. Would it cost 490k gold (+7 on the epic table)? Given the gap, it also seems reasonable that it could cost 371k (360 for the +6 enhancement to armor bonus, 11k for the +1 ability bumping the original +5 to +6), however that is completely unsupported by any rule I've found, which likely means I've made it up. Of course, having light fortification effectively cost 130k gp seems just as unreasonable as my option, which is why I've come here.

Have I just confused myself?
A24
the Important thing with EPIC/Non-Epic weapons and Armor .... first look at the table for EPIC Magic items ..... the first 4 lines are important:
Grants a bonus on attacks or damage greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to armor higher than +5.

the Problem is that you choose to have an Enhancement Bonus of +6 which makes it EPIC ... thus you have to use the EPIC Armor value = 490000gp .... if you notice the Cost of Armor and Weapon Special Abilities is a Variable depending on how much the item already has... exa:

+1 Light Fortification Armor = 4000gp
+2 Light Fortification Armor = 9000gp
+3 Light Fortification Armor = 16000gp
+4 Light Fortification Armor = 25000gp
+5 Light Fortification Armor = 36000gp

since the Enhancement value is still below +5....but the effective bonus (enhancement plus special ability bonus equivalents) is below +10 thus it is still Non-Epic

some Special Abilities do have a Cost of +6 thus they make an Item EPIC: exa

+1 Acid Warding Armor(+6 bonus) = 490000gp

there are only 3 Special Abilities that might not make an item EPIC(consult with your DM):

Great invulnerability (10/magic) (+4 bonus)
Great invulnerability (15/magic) (+5 bonus)
Negating (+5 bonus)

although they are called Epic Specials .... the Text says that "Except when otherwise stated, epic magic armor and shields follow the rules for nonepic magic armor and shields." .... thus if you use those 3 Specials with armor that has an Enhancement Bonus lower than +5 or Effective bonus lower than +10 .... it should be Non-Epic

:D

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
Q29: Is there an "iconic" Mailman build anywhere? I tried using the board's search function, didn't get the results I was looking for. I know I've seen it -- was it on Gleemax?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:33:32 PM by Zaxter »

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
Q30:  Perhaps not so simple but:  Is there a way to simultaneously count as a Fey in order to use Charming the Arrow feat and also be an Outsider to polymorph into an Arrow Demon?  (And no, an Arrow Demon with the Half-Fey template won't work.)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »
Q30:  Perhaps not so simple but:  Is there a way to simultaneously count as a Fey in order to use Charming the Arrow feat and also be an Outsider to polymorph into an Arrow Demon?  (And no, an Arrow Demon with the Half-Fey template won't work.)
Devil's Ego from Fiendish Codex II. Grants +4 Profane to Cha and makes you an Outsider for the duration of the spell.wait shit then you'd stop qualifying for Charming the Arrow.
I'm not sure there is a way. You'd need either the ability to be more then one Type at a time... which I only know of Dragonborn doing it with Humanoid + Base.  Or something like Stoneblessed for Fey.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »
Would something like a Half-Celestial Pixie work by chance?  You'd be an Outsider as your main type, but you'd have the [Fey, Augmented] subtype...  Could you still qualify for that feat then?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »
Would something like a Half-Celestial Pixie work by chance?  You'd be an Outsider as your main type, but you'd have the [Fey, Augmented] subtype...  Could you still qualify for that feat then?

No, [augmented foo] is absolutely meaningless to mechanics.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
Hmm, seems like it might actually be impossible then.  Pity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:23 PM »
An extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemly loose interpretation of lesser planetouched might let a half-fey lesser planetouched work.

But don't count on it.
Planetouched Handbook

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
Well, it would've been for the arena, and (as you know) loose interpretations don't typically work.  Though I'd had a similar thought initially.  But it does lead me to ask:  What is the point of the [Whatever, Augmented] subtype anyway then?!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
I think it was included at the beginning in case they were going to do something with it, and never got around to actually doing anything (there might be some obscure spell or item somewhere?). It's like how all classes (except the swordsage) say they get 4xclass+int skill points at first level. 
Planetouched Handbook

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »
Q31
Am I correct in believing that the Shadowdancer's Hide in Plain Sight is not defeated by True Seeing or Darkvision if she chooses to hide around an area of magical darkness or regular shadows respectively?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
q32 is there a Woodland Archery type affect for melee attacks? that is, "For each missed attack, further attacks this round gain a cumulative +X bonus"