Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition  (Read 157091 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« Reply #860 on: May 09, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »
Knockback is based on the damage dealt. Doesn't matter how, just that it is dealt. So yes.

.... aren't you talking about the Knock Down feat? I am talking about that feat in Races of the Stone...

If you meant that one, then ignore this...
Knockback is based on Power Attack amount, not damage. So there's a good chance you're not talking about the same feat.
So I was.

.... I always meant the one in Races of Stone, used for bull rushes...

Very well.... this will make my friend playing a dungeon crasher sad  :rollseyes
How so? Knockback is a neat feat for a Dungeoncrasher.

The guy's thoughts:

Especially since you can get up to a +40 if you wield a two-handed weapon anyway. Ohnoes you don't, RAW, get a +1200 to your strength check to move someone.

+40 to your STR check to bullrush someone is still pretty damn good. That's the equivalent of a STR 90 modifier.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #861 on: May 09, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
+40 to your STR check to bullrush someone is still pretty damn good. That's the equivalent of a STR 90 modifier.

You know you've been hanging around CO too long when you see that and think "huh, is that it?"
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #862 on: May 09, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »

You know you've been hanging around CO too long when you see that and think "huh, is that it?"
doesn't matter really, you only need to push them back 5 feet for dungeoncrasher.

you are above them, right? right?

although long domino bullrushes are fun too, but then a mere +40 mod is sometimes too low for the real fun stuff. hell, even assuming your opponent only gets a 10 on the check, and you get a 70, that's only 5+60/2=35 ft of knockback to work with. a max of 7 dominos.

EDIT: silly me, that's 1+60/5 squares, so 13 dominos max. eh, not too shabby, assuming you beat them by 60. of course, the terrasque would (+31 mod) lose by 39, and get pushed back only 40ft.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:47:07 PM by Anklebite »
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #863 on: May 09, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »

doesn't matter really, you only need to push them back 5 feet for dungeoncrasher.

you are above them, right? right?

although long domino bullrushes are fun too, but then a mere +40 mod is sometimes too low for the real fun stuff. hell, even assuming your opponent only gets a 10 on the check, and you get a 70, that's only 5+60/2=35 ft of knockback to work with. a max of 7 dominos.

EDIT: silly me, that's 1+60/5 squares, so 13 dominos max. eh, not too shabby, assuming you beat them by 60. of course, the terrasque would (+31 mod) lose by 39, and get pushed back only 40ft.
You'd still need a Gargantuan+ size mod to be able to bullrush the Tarrasque at all, though.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #864 on: May 09, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
You're doing it wrong. You bull rush them from below. Using Earthglide or something. If you beat them by 60 points, that's 65 feat you knock them up in the air (1 square, plus 12 more squares for beating them by 60 [60/5=12 squares]).

And that's a helluva lot funnier. Which is why it is the correct way.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Oblivion590

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #865 on: May 09, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
Q196: Wasn't there a spell that would allow to cast touch spells at a range? Something that would allow using touch-range buffs with chain spell, without reach spell. Something like archmage's arcane reach. Or other ways, if not a spell. Not war weaver though, best if it is something usable for a druid.

Occular spell? I do not think you can chain that though, although with a magic item from LoM, a magic lens, you could turn the effect into a cone.

Ocular Spell is a feat, but it should be fine for Chain Spell, which only requires that a spell specifies a single target with a range greater than touch.  Ocular Spell says the effect changes to a 60 ft. ray, but it also says that you make a ranged touch attack against a single target, which should fit the bill.

There's also a Divine Reach in the Heirophant prestige class (DMG), but that class sucks, because it grants no spellcasting progression (though at least it adds to CL).  Divine Reach is exactly the same as Arcane Reach from the Archmage prestige class.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #866 on: May 09, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
Q196: Wasn't there a spell that would allow to cast touch spells at a range? Something that would allow using touch-range buffs with chain spell, without reach spell. Something like archmage's arcane reach. Or other ways, if not a spell. Not war weaver though, best if it is something usable for a druid.

Occular spell? I do not think you can chain that though, although with a magic item from LoM, a magic lens, you could turn the effect into a cone.

Ocular Spell is a feat, but it should be fine for Chain Spell, which only requires that a spell specifies a single target with a range greater than touch.  Ocular Spell says the effect changes to a 60 ft. ray, but it also says that you make a ranged touch attack against a single target, which should fit the bill.

There's also a Divine Reach in the Heirophant prestige class (DMG), but that class sucks, because it grants no spellcasting progression (though at least it adds to CL).  Divine Reach is exactly the same as Arcane Reach from the Archmage prestige class.
Since we are outside of spells and into feats, figured I'd expand it one further and say Spellwarp Sniper.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #867 on: May 09, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »
Q197:
The Mind Shard of Pandorym from Elder Evils is listed as being a Lawful Evil outsider with the evil, incorporeal and psionic subtypes.

Last night at the end of the session, (after they killed it anyway :rollseyes) I got chewed a little out by one of my players and her husband because I wouldn't let her Necromancy spells that required "living targets", like Horrid Wilting to affect him.  At the time I figured requiring a living target creates a corporeal effect it wouldn't be able to affect Pandorym at all.

Any good reasons why they should have worked?

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #868 on: May 09, 2010, 06:28:09 PM »
QUESTION 198: Where would I find a list of acquired level adjustments?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #869 on: May 09, 2010, 06:40:41 PM »
Q197:
The Mind Shard of Pandorym from Elder Evils is listed as being a Lawful Evil outsider with the evil, incorporeal and psionic subtypes.

Last night at the end of the session, (after they killed it anyway :rollseyes) I got chewed a little out by one of my players and her husband because I wouldn't let her Necromancy spells that required "living targets", like Horrid Wilting to affect him.  At the time I figured requiring a living target creates a corporeal effect it wouldn't be able to affect Pandorym at all.

Any good reasons why they should have worked?

That spell should have worked on it although it would have had a 50% chance of failing due to incorporeal miss chance. Incoporality has nothing to do with being living.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #870 on: May 09, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
Q199
May I get full page scans of the Dread Necromancer class and its spell list list (just the spell names and their levels) from Heroes of Horror?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #871 on: May 09, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »
Q199
May I get full page scans of the Dread Necromancer class and its spell list list (just the spell names and their levels) from Heroes of Horror?

A199: Sure.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #872 on: May 10, 2010, 02:17:43 AM »
You're doing it wrong. You bull rush them from below. Using Earthglide or something. If you beat them by 60 points, that's 65 feat you knock them up in the air (1 square, plus 12 more squares for beating them by 60 [60/5=12 squares]).

And that's a helluva lot funnier. Which is why it is the correct way.
yeah, but then you don't get the 8d6+3xstr damage from dungeoncrasher, unless there is a ceiling. By RAW, it is not triggered by them falling after you knock them upwards.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: May 10, 2010, 02:44:16 AM »
No, but them falling will provoke an AoO for leaving a threatened square, if you have reach...
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #874 on: May 10, 2010, 02:47:26 AM »
plus theres falling damage.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #875 on: May 10, 2010, 02:53:14 AM »
still better if there is a ceiling 60ft up when you knock them 65ft up.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: May 10, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »
No, but them falling will provoke an AoO for leaving a threatened square, if you have reach...
Which will let you bull rush them into the ceiling a second time. Now do it with a harpoon.

Heh.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #877 on: May 10, 2010, 03:43:11 AM »
Which will let you bull rush them into the ceiling a second time. Now do it with a harpoon.

Heh.
a knockback build making use of combat reflexes. never thought I'd see the day.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #878 on: May 10, 2010, 03:57:59 AM »
do it with an unarmed attack and you have  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10frnpNtm3A

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #879 on: May 10, 2010, 04:08:52 AM »
do it with an unarmed attack and you have  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10frnpNtm3A
the best part is, they only fall once per round. you don't actually NEED combat reflexes.