Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition  (Read 157109 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
Q50

So, having realized that the Gelatinous template doesn't work the way I thought it did (it makes creatures into aberrations, not oozes), is there any template that makes a creature into an Ooze?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
Q50

So, having realized that the Gelatinous template doesn't work the way I thought it did (it makes creatures into aberrations, not oozes), is there any template that makes a creature into an Ooze?
Living Spell
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Q 49: If a Frenzied Berserker is in a frenzy, and after killing all nearby foes he fails his save to end the frenzy, and is then subjected to a charm person or suggestion spell, and the caster asks or orders him to stop fighting, what happens?  Which takes precedence, the clause of Frenzy, or the Spell?
He'd view the caster as an ally, except that frenzy doesn't much care about that, in terms of charm. The suggestion he'd be making a save against every round to go back to killing until the frenzy was over.
A49: With Charm, if the caster is the only other person there, he'd just kill the caster. If there are others present, he'd kill them first, then kill the caster.  :P

Charm Person makes the target view you as a trusted ally, not obey your every command. Frenzied Berzerkers kill their trusted allies while frenzying. So I don't see that there is any conflict. Now if the caster had used Dominate Person, I'd say he could save himself.

Suggestion might also make the FB stop fighting, since it is something that forces them to take a specific action against their will, unlike Charm Person.
If the DM is being picky, you might get better success using a different suggestion than 'stop fighting.' 'Fight barehanded,' or 'stand on your head to fight,' might get essentially the same result (spellcaster survives) without preventing the FB from fighting. He's just not fighting effectively.
or "suggest" that the nearby trees are actually evil treants, and then back away.   :D

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
Q 48: CM p.44 - Master of Undeath - "...when you create an undead creature, it doesn't count against your normal limit of undead creatures..."
MoI - Necrocarnum Circlet - creates one necrocarnum zombie

So putting these two together, does that mean I can have two necrocarnum zombies?

Reading over Master of Undeath, I see no requirement of the undead being created by a spell or SLA. The only limitation is that the first created undead only remains under your control for days = CL, so either have a dip into a casting class, or be a race with SLAs.
It looks like it works.
Also the use of some soulmeld abilities are considered spell like abilities so you would not need the casting class or SLA race.

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
Q51
What kind of action does it take to fire off a Light of Lunia/Light of Mercuria? If you have two of them active at the same time, could you fire 4 rays?
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
Q52  Where can I find a monster which I can use like an acid elemental?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
There are Jubilex tainted water elementals in either MM4 or MM5.  I'll bet they do some acid damage.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »
Take a blood elemental (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030208a), add acid damage?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2010, 04:04:24 PM »
A52

Living Spell Acid Fog

:D

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
Q 48: CM p.44 - Master of Undeath - "...when you create an undead creature, it doesn't count against your normal limit of undead creatures..."
MoI - Necrocarnum Circlet - creates one necrocarnum zombie

So putting these two together, does that mean I can have two necrocarnum zombies?

Reading over Master of Undeath, I see no requirement of the undead being created by a spell or SLA. The only limitation is that the first created undead only remains under your control for days = CL, so either have a dip into a casting class, or be a race with SLAs.
It looks like it works.
Also the use of some soulmeld abilities are considered spell like abilities so you would not need the casting class or SLA race.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Q50

Living Spell

It turns a spell into an ooze, not a creature.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »
q53 I want to be invulnerable for a short period while I Gaze at people. Any ideas?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
q53 I want to be invulnerable for a short period while I Gaze at people. Any ideas?
Trying to negate the slap while she tells you her "eyes are up here?"
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
Trying to negate the slap while she tells you her "eyes are up here?"
use social skills and trickery. as long as you don't look like a medusa, how are they going to know?

even works in a dungeon.

"I surrender!"
*gaze*
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »
Olitukes Resiliant/Telekinetic Sphere work wonders.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
blocks LoE, doesn't it?
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
blocks LoE, doesn't it?
Yes, but Gaze attacks require LoS, not LoE.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
blocks LoE, doesn't it?
Yes, but Gaze attacks require LoS, not LoE.

In that case solid force cage?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
Q54
If my Psicrystal takes Hidden Talent (Expanded Psionics Handbook 67), can he take Practiced Manifester (Complete Psionic 57) as well?

Q55
What manifester level-requiring feats can my psicrystal take?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2010, 02:09:51 AM »
Q56
Can Metamagic School Focus be used on multiple MM feats on the same spell?

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2010, 03:07:18 AM »
A54
I answered my own question; a typical psicrystal can't use Hidden Talent + Practiced Manifester.  Without manifester levels, Hidden Talent doesn't stack with Practiced Manifester.  With psionic class levels, they stack.

A56
By the RAW, Metamagic School Focus can apply to "a metamagic feat."  It's a reasonable stretch to allow its application for up to 3 feats so long as the spell slot level never goes below its original level.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"