Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition  (Read 157102 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 01:37:50 AM »
Someone asked back on the other thread about how to gain healing via elemental damage... here's a crazy one:

Monsters of Faerun - Giant Strider
large magical beast, 2 HD, LA+2 (LA from web update)
Str +8, Dex +2, Con +6, Int -10 (owch), Wis -2, Cha -2
Healing from fire (ex): Once during each 3 rounds that a strider is exposed to intense heat or flame, the creature gains the benefit of a cure light wounds spell (1d8 + 1 hp healed). A fireball spell or other intense, fiery attack fully heals the creature instantly.

All things considered, I think it's also the lowest HD/LA magical beast I've seen...

edit: oh wait I take that back, the Abrian (Fiend Folio) is 2HD/1LA
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »
Q 2: How does that qualify for a bikini, and how does one go about acquiring said bikini + girl combo?

A 2: Clearly standard female leather at 2 AC. Just ask your local Maiden of Pain.
With the gloryborn armor template of course.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 01:43:42 AM »
Someone asked back on the other thread about how to gain healing via elemental damage... here's a crazy one:

Healing from fire (ex): Once during each 3 rounds that a strider is exposed to intense heat or flame, the creature gains the benefit of a cure light wounds spell (1d8 + 1 hp healed). A fireball spell or other intense, fiery attack fully heals the creature instantly.

All things considered, I think it's also the lowest HD/LA magical beast I've seen...

I think that was Kevin Video.  There is also the Nyth aberration from the same book that heals from fire and electric damage on a 1-for-1 basis. (and I think it had an LA in the update as well... though much higher)

How the hell does a fire strider have an LA?  It has an Intelligence of 1!

Probably the most surprising LA's I saw as I was perusing the 3.5 update for MoF was the Phaerlin Giant.  8 HD, Huge size, and +5 LA. Granted, it wasn't all that beefy for an ECL 13 character (68 HP's), but it has REACH.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:51:42 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »

Holy. Shit.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:54 AM »

Holy. Shit.

seems like a plausible way to make a permanent omnicificer setup.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 02:04:39 AM »
Probably the most surprising LA's I saw as I was perusing the 3.5 update for MoF was the Phaerlin Giant.  8 HD, Huge size, and +5 LA. Granted, it wasn't all that beefy for an ECL 13 character (68 HP's), but it has REACH.

The hairy spider is LA+0 and has Int -- :D
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 02:09:23 AM »
Can you link me that? I didn't know there was a web update.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 02:11:24 AM »
Can you link me that? I didn't know there was a web update.
Search for the Player's Guide to Faerun web enhancement.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »
I think it's also listed under Monsters of Faerun update. The update gives LAs to tons of the monsters in there.
---

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:38 AM »
Probably the most surprising LA's I saw as I was perusing the 3.5 update for MoF was the Phaerlin Giant.  8 HD, Huge size, and +5 LA. Granted, it wasn't all that beefy for an ECL 13 character (68 HP's), but it has REACH.

The hairy spider is LA+0 and has Int -- :D
Mindsight immunity!

Yeaaaah!
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:17 AM »
Q 6 I think we're on that number. I didn't see anything after A5. Anyways, how does a mage cast under water?

Q 7 If the mage casts in water, or under water, and it's lightning, how does that affect the spell?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 02:54:31 AM »
Q 7 If the mage casts in water, or under water, and it's lightning, how does that affect the spell?
by RAW, nothing changes. stupid, but there it is. then again, launching a bolt of lightning straight forwards is violating physics plenty already, so it doesn't really make that much less sense.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 02:57:04 AM »
by RAW, nothing changes. stupid, but there it is. then again, launching a bolt of lightning straight forwards is violating physics plenty already, so it doesn't really make that much less sense.
True, but that's what Chain Lightning is for. Gets rid of that whole straight line thing. :D

But yes, it is stupid. You need to make a spellcraft check at 20 to make fire work and go off as steam, and ice just kind of floats there and doesn't work too well when submerged, but god forbid that lightning become empowered when in water and actually be affective for once.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 03:30:42 AM »
True, but that's what Chain Lightning is for. Gets rid of that whole straight line thing. :D

But yes, it is stupid. You need to make a spellcraft check at 20 to make fire work and go off as steam, and ice just kind of floats there and doesn't work too well when submerged, but god forbid that lightning become empowered when in water and actually be affective for once.

I did see a homebrewed system a while back that increased the radius of lightning effects in water (Line -> Cone etc)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 03:35:48 AM »
Q 8: Is there a spell that acts like the 2e lightning bolt? (ie: it bounces off walls, etc)
---

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 04:25:42 AM »
It can make sense. Lightning is just static electricity. Static electricity has nothing to do with the direction of gravity. Build up enough static and you can get yourself a home grown lightning bolt.

Of course to make the lightning bolt really fucking big, you'd need something like electromagnetic waves striking the earth's magnetic field, corkscrewing down the equipotential field lines, and some opposite (or neutral charge) to build up on something below that magnetic field and electric potential to thusly build up to insane levels between the two surfaces before the charges become so great that they penetrate air's resistance to charge and zip right through it to equalize the potential difference.

Or just magic ;D
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 04:30:08 AM »
I always thought that lightning bolt should just heavily polarize everything in the line that way it doesn't matter about direction only that you will be toasted.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:47 AM »
Q 2: How does that qualify for a bikini, and how does one go about acquiring said bikini + girl combo?

Q 3: Assuming the girl is a Thor-girl equivalent, do you suppose the artist actually knows his mythology in that Thor has red hair, or do you think he just likes drawing buxom redheads?
2) chloroform + electrical tape.
3) I can't name any fantasy illustrator who doesn't like drawing buxom redheads.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »
Q9: Could someone explain Quasireality of Shadow Spells to me please, the mind boggles. If the person fails their save, they take the effect according to... the quasireality of the shadow, which can be higher than the normal spell?  :banghead Does not compute.

Grim Sage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »
A9: If the person FAILS his save, they just take the regular effect - it looks, sounds and hurts like a fireball - it's probably a fireball.
If the person SUCCEEDS on his save, they get damage according to the quasireality - ranging from 20% ("Oh, a fake fireball. Meh") to 130+% ("Wait, that's not a real fireball, that's - HOLY SH-!"). Some DMs cap it at 100% (as it can't be more 'real'  than 'real' already is), but I (and quite a few others) figure that if you're adding shadowstuff to make it more real, why can't you keep adding it until it's more effective? You're weaving the stuff of nightmares - either their weak minds see it as what it's supposed to be, or they recognize what you're really doing and are proportionately more doomed. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.