Author Topic: Terribly Low Scores  (Read 7458 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Terribly Low Scores
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 08:16:43 PM »
If you're a real roleplayer, though, you'll play a weak race like a sharn for your lightning warrior character.  Sharn racials can't specialize, and they don't get a familiar either, so it's got the same crippling weaknesses that make a guy fun to roleplay.
Sarcasm.... overload....Shields... Failing... ERROR Hull Breach on Decks 6 through 8! Evacuate!

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
Hey, TML, no fair. You gotta decide on one thing that's your shtick.

Are you going to recommend ghost sharns all over the place now?

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 09:42:01 PM »
your animal companion gets +1 hit points per start HD, +2 Dex and +2 Cha
FTFY

What if the Lightening Warrior took the Obtain Familiar feat? Could that possibly mitigate the suckitude?
Nah, he still can't Specialize.
Relevance? The feat and errata mention nothing about specializing...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
Hey, TML, no fair. You gotta decide on one thing that's your shtick.

Are you going to recommend ghost sharns all over the place now?

I took signature schtick, so I can spontaneously convert any of my other pimpings into pimpings for the ghost savage progression.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 02:33:59 AM »
If you're a real roleplayer, though, you'll play a weak race like a sharn for your lightning warrior character.  Sharn racials can't specialize, and they don't get a familiar either, so it's got the same crippling weaknesses that make a guy fun to roleplay.
in that case though, the DM should probably let the poor LW gestalt for the sheer amount of power given up for flavor purposes. otherwise, merely playing the race without LA/HD wouldn't be nearly strong enough to survive in even a mildly optimized game. I supposed that if it were a low-combat campaign, this could work...

to shore up these massive gaping holes, the LW should obviously be allowed to gestalt with cleric. it's only fair.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »

to shore up these massive gaping holes, the LW should obviously be allowed to gestalt with archivist . it's only fair.
This adjustment would truly make it unfair.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »

to shore up these massive gaping holes, the LW should obviously be allowed to gestalt with archivist . it's only fair.
This adjustment would truly make it unfair.
quite rightly. by combining the LW with another class that gives up so much for flavor, only then can the LW be brought up to the level of the mighty samurai and monk.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »
Wow did I derail my own thread with the LW comment or what...

Anyway I agree with this line of thought:

I think you'll do fine as a melee druid with those stats.  

For other possible feats instead of summoning focused, I'd suggest Companion Spellbound (share spells out to 30ft away) and Improved Toughness.  I know those 2 feats have saved my melee druid practically every encounter - a d8 HD just isn't enough when the DM throws really heavy hitters at you, and it's good to have the flexibility to buff yourself and your companion without keeping the companion within arms' reach.

I'm going to ignore all pre-tenses that I ever wanted to be a spell caster and just imagine that I'm playing a fighter with some cool abilities.  As long as my wisdom is high enough to cast the spells of that level I'm going to basically ignore it.

I'm grabbing Heavy Armor Proficiency and Improved Toughness at 1st.  3rd Level I'm gonna get shield specialization (heavy) instead of Tower Shield proficiency.  6th is of course Natural spell.  Where would you guys go from there?

9th level and beyond:
Action Before Thought ----> Pearl of Black Doubt
Multi-Attack ---> Improved Multi-Attack
Lions Pounce ---> Great and Small (Complete Champion)
Power Attack ---> Improved Sunder/bull rush ---> Shocktrooper/combat brute

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:46 AM »
Well we played our first session today and everything went great.  I listened to the character concepts of people and I helped them pick the right class to play

The spellthief wanted to play a seductress/rogue that tricks people.  I told him to play a beguiler.  He did.  The "Mariner" is now playing this ranger (http://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/11336.aspx)
Our party:

Human Druid (me) Feat: Heavy Armor Proficiency, Toughness (the DM allowed me to use the pathfinder variant since we are using some of the pathfinder stuff.  Its toughness + Improved toughness; I said yes)
Irda Beguiler Feat: Versatile Spellcaster   (I told him to pick Versatile spell caster or spell focus enchantment)
Dwarf Factotum Feat: Blind Fight

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
Nice work with the rest of the party. That is how you should deal with people who choose incredibly unoptimized choices. Also have fun with your druid.