Author Topic: The country where magic is illegal  (Read 6827 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
The country where magic is illegal
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »
Hi,
First, I'm rather new here, but not to D&D, I've played a good share of games and dm'ed a few. But compared to most of you guys in here I'm probably not quite as experienced as you.

At the moment I'm considering running a 3.5 campaign, and before I get myself into a lot of plots I want to create my own world, there are loads of reasons why I'm doing that, but one of them is that I don't find the needed inspiration in most of the pre-created worlds.

But, here is the catch, I've recently played with a DM in a 2nd edition game who had a list of spells that where Illegal (IE you could get persecuted and executing for using typical damage spells), and thought the idea was rather cool.
In prolongation I decided that I want my next campaign to start in a world where magic is outlawed. Not just offensive magic, not just Arcane magic, all magic is outlawed, since the founding father of the land was a 15th level Half-orc Fighter/Barbarian/Forsaker/Occult Slayer who massacred the cabal of mages who were controlling the land (with the help of a powerful but evil dragon). His first rule as a king was to order all wizards executed or exiled, and then ban magic altogether. Since this also includes anyone who could craft magic weapons I run into a few problems, more on this later.
The game then starts a few hundred years after, with only the elves and a few dwarves still able to remember the "time of magic".
There's one huge problem though, I want the players to be mainly solving problems and the story to run in this land all the way to level 10, and possibly beyond, however, getting to level 10 without any magic item is close to impossible (and also screws you over big time if you face off against anything with a proper save, or just a simple band of gricks). Therefore I wanted to include a few items that weren't magical, but rather beefed up masterwork items.
For example, I'd allow PCs & NPCs with ranks in craft(weaponsmithing) to create weapons up to +3 without them being magical, they would still bypass damage reduction, unless it is DR/magic ofc, also the same would apply to armour, some potions and perhaps a few other things.
I'd still allow Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, Druids and other spellcasters in my game, but I'd tell them they'd have to be careful about hiding their abilities, since almost everyone is out to get the casters in this world.

Well, what do you think?
And more importantly, are there anything to consider, since this is a rather big change from the ordinary rules set? I'd like to get everything covered.

Thanks in advance.

(PS. I'm considering that the story will involve the players possibility to get this law removed, though that shouldn't happen untill level 8-10)
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: The country where magic is illegal
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
What plausible way is there to prevent magic user cheese from decimating the kingdom?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
The DM said so?

Mass aneurysms, perhaps.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »
Originally my explanation was that the dragon who helped the forsaker is helping the kingdom somehow, it has some kind of long term plan, which involves no wizards throwing around too many spells in that particular area.

However, the kingdom would also have some magic items, although they would be locked down (remember that the current king isn't a forsaker, the forsaker died a long time ago), and kept hidden, perhaps a few antimagic field items still exists.

Also, most magic users that would threaten the kingdom are born in the kingdom itself, and therefore hunted down and executed sooner or later.

The idea that there should be a just explanation why no-one has taken over the kingdom through magic is good though, so I'll have to think a bit about it, any ideas?
In fact a main turning point in my campaign could be when a sorcerer takes over the kingdom, thus leaving the players baffled, when mr. dragon wants them to help defeating captain sorcerer.

I want it to seem plausible to have a kingdom that is low to no-magic in a world that is otherwise pretty mid-magic, so better ideas would be great :).

Also the political situation of the kingdom is that they control a main trade route from the western sea to the eastern ocean (I need better names, but that's their names by now), and they have an inhospitable cold barren forest to the north, where a group of good druids, rangers, and sorcerers are actually protecting the kingdom from undead/drow incursions. To the south there's a huge wall, placed by the former cabal of mages to fend off a rather large population of barbarians who keep warring and trading with the kingdom.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
Problem 1: What if a human magic use learns magic from the elves and decides to go and destroy the kingdom? There are numerous mid to low level ways to do this with what are generally considered to be iconic spells such as Planar Binding.

Problem 2: If you choose the right spells, a wizard or sorcerer in the kingdom should be able to evade/defeat most CR appropriate enemies, which means the strong arm of the law clamps down on them hard. This, however, creates a problem when you have to give CR appropriate encounters to the PCs unless they do something astoundingly stupid.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
DnD really is even less balanced without magic due to how the CR system works. However it could work out fine at low levels where mundane characters are assumed to have very little magic at their disposal. Also it is hard to maintain verisimilitude in such a setting as magic is so overpowered that deliberately forsakes magic would never be able to stand against magic using foes. A possible solution is to have all magic users be state controlled and heavily regulated. So the military has magic but there are no freelance independent wizards sorcerers or clerics. This could be enforced by having the higher level magic users support the system as they are in positions of great power. Sort of like how Dragon Age does it really.

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »
Another option, at least in terms of establishing how a country without magic is defended from magic (not everyone is an epic Occult Slayer) is that the country is defended by some sort of epic magic ward. Have you ever read any of the Heralds of Valdemar novels by Mercedes Lackey? Valdemar is warded in such a way that anyone who casts a spell within the borders gets watched by invisible eyes until they go a little nuts and leave. Some sort of non-intrusive ward against spellcasters would go a long way towards defending the country. (Sure, epic casters could get around it, but epic casters have so much else to do, why would they bother?).

As to the CR system, it would be doable, but each encounter would require heavy customization. The easiest way, to my mind, of keeping combat reasonable would be for most of the PC's opponents be NPC's that also are lacking a great deal of magic.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
Another option, at least in terms of establishing how a country without magic is defended from magic (not everyone is an epic Occult Slayer) is that the country is defended by some sort of epic magic ward. Have you ever read any of the Heralds of Valdemar novels by Mercedes Lackey? Valdemar is warded in such a way that anyone who casts a spell within the borders gets watched by invisible eyes until they go a little nuts and leave. Some sort of non-intrusive ward against spellcasters would go a long way towards defending the country. (Sure, epic casters could get around it, but epic casters have so much else to do, why would they bother?).
Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri has taught me that you can make someone else's country miserable without directly attacking it. Via terraforming.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »
If wizards and sorcerers are banned, what about Divine magic. Or things that aren't actually magic but sort of act like it: psionics, incarnum, binding, truenaming, shadow magic, maneuvers, invocations.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but these are issues I've run into while trying to design a world with no magic.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
I believe there was a nonmagical +1 katana in oriental adventures somewhere.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
I would allow non-flashy magic items, given costs will have gone up, but them being crafted can be explained with classes like ironsoul forgemaster and battlesmith, both have the ability to make magic items as long as the spell is provided, allow UMD to count for that or just drop it. Would allow for magic items, but wouldn't require spells, and the theme of dwarves and elves only remembering magic still fits.

Have craft (alchemy) be able to make potions too.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »
I would allow non-flashy magic items, given costs will have gone up, but them being crafted can be explained with classes like ironsoul forgemaster and battlesmith, both have the ability to make magic items as long as the spell is provided, allow UMD to count for that or just drop it. Would allow for magic items, but wouldn't require spells, and the theme of dwarves and elves only remembering magic still fits.

or artificers

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:14 PM »

or artificers

I was trying to stick with more of a dwarf theme with the limited knowledge thing, but it would fit in the "classes like" category.  :D
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »
Could throw in the baseline VoP bonuses to attack, stats, saves, and in particular, AC for free.
Not having magic items isn't quite as bad when your numerics are still competitive.

That's still only about 3/4 of the WBL, but the rest are often the flashy stuff anyway.
Allow for superior alchemicals skirting the fringes of the law to provide low end magical effects for medicine and enhancements. And of course SCIENCE! artificers, if the campaign leans that way.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
DnD really is even less balanced without magic due to how the CR system works. However it could work out fine at low levels where mundane characters are assumed to have very little magic at their disposal. Also it is hard to maintain verisimilitude in such a setting as magic is so overpowered that deliberately forsakes magic would never be able to stand against magic using foes. A possible solution is to have all magic users be state controlled and heavily regulated. So the military has magic but there are no freelance independent wizards sorcerers or clerics. This could be enforced by having the higher level magic users support the system as they are in positions of great power. Sort of like how Dragon Age does it really.

This could be an excellent solution.

I want magic in this part of the world to be ridicolously rare, but off course it exists, it's D&D there's bound to be magic.

If a player wants to play a wizard he would be a renegade, and a cleric would be a faithful servant of a god, who suddenly discovers that the god empowers him.

This could all work very well, with low level casters being hunted down and burned (or brain washed into serving the powers that be), while the real power is still employing wizards.

Sure, craft (alchemy) will be able to create potions, this will solve the healing problem if the cleric doesn't dare to cast cure spells all over the place so as to not get revealed to the watch.

If wizards and sorcerers are banned, what about Divine magic. Or things that aren't actually magic but sort of act like it: psionics, incarnum, binding, truenaming, shadow magic, maneuvers, invocations.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but these are issues I've run into while trying to design a world with no magic.

My plan was that since the watch aren't that aware what is magic and what is not, and there are only a few experts (read wizards who are smart enough to not cast spells) that are studying magic lore, almost any court would regard anything that looking like magic (even spell like abilities), as magic and thus punish you for it.

Problem 1: What if a human magic use learns magic from the elves and decides to go and destroy the kingdom? There are numerous mid to low level ways to do this with what are generally considered to be iconic spells such as Planar Binding.

Problem 2: If you choose the right spells, a wizard or sorcerer in the kingdom should be able to evade/defeat most CR appropriate enemies, which means the strong arm of the law clamps down on them hard. This, however, creates a problem when you have to give CR appropriate encounters to the PCs unless they do something astoundingly stupid.

Hmm. I guess I'll have my elves be very seclusive with their magic. There are other human kingdoms where one could learn magic, but due to the well-organized no-magic kingdom they really have a hard time attacking them.
I agree with the second problem, and I'm not really sure what to do, since my players will probably have picked up a few tricks on min/maxing, their characters should be able to deal with level appropriate CR fairly easily, given magic items, without those I think it might increase their difficulties, but not be impossible, as long as I don't throw them into fights with ghosts.

Also bear in mind that one of the players will almost certainly play a wizard. But I'd like him not to show off his powers in public, since that would get him killed.

What if almost all the elven magic works on prohibiting the Conjuration school? This would help against most of the spells that allow you to dodge the watch? And planar binding and things like that, it would only solve it for wizards, but I'd still be something.

EDIT: These are all great ideas, and questions I need to be able to answer should my players ask, or attempt to find out, so keep them coming and thanks for the help!

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 08:33:44 AM »
A substantial nerf would be that virtually all spellcasters in that campaign setting can only cast from a single school.  PCs might be rare exceptions.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »
There are other human kingdoms where one could learn magic, but due to the well-organized no-magic kingdom they really have a hard time attacking them.
Unless you nerf magic majorly, well organized nonmagical kingdom <<< well organized magic user

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 12:57:18 PM »
There are other human kingdoms where one could learn magic, but due to the well-organized no-magic kingdom they really have a hard time attacking them.
Unless you nerf magic majorly, well organized nonmagical kingdom <<< well organized magic user
Unfortunately this is true with a TO optimized wizard. What with his advanced abilities to travel, the ability to create an army of bound outsiders and undead, and nigh invulnerability to mundane means of attack.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:59:00 PM by Havok4 »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »
Solution: "If the Githyanki magic-user reaches 12 level learns 4th level spells, the Lich Queen Barbarian Lord eats them."
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »
Dimension Door, Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, Summon Monster IV, Scrying, Locate Creature, Charm Monster, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Stone Shape.

I think the wizard stands half a chance.