Author Topic: Druid Variant Spontaneous Rejuvenation and Variant Spell Points  (Read 5874 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
I was looking at this today because the druid in my player's party is an online player, and enjoys having "mana" over spells memorized. I see no issue with that, and happily accommodated him. The issue came up with Spontaneous Rejuvenation where you sacrifice a prepared spell to do fast healing X for 3 rounds. Well, that's not going to work since you don't have actually do that anymore. You memorize spells, and use them in accordance to how many spell points you have.

So I made this rule for him. He can use the rejuvenation ability a number of times equal to the number of spells he can memorize. So for a 1st level druid, he gets 1 base prepared spell and 1 for his modifiers (if his WIS is under 20), costing the proper number of spell points (in this case, 1).

We thought it sounded fair. Otherwise you could have someone doing fast healing 2 on the entire group, and only spending 1 point a round every 3 rounds for a ridiculous number of minutes.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
Re: Druid Variant Spontaneous Rejuvenation and Variant Spell Points
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:40:15 PM »
Otherwise you could have someone doing fast healing 2 on the entire group, and only spending 1 point a round every 3 rounds for a ridiculous number of minutes.

Which is perfectly reasonably, because like the original variant, doing so prevent him from using spells.

And if you're worried about out of combat, don't. Any time where he'd have enough downtime to recover his spell points after stacking up FH for hours, he'd also have the time to do the same thing with traditional heals.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »
Otherwise you could have someone doing fast healing 2 on the entire group, and only spending 1 point a round every 3 rounds for a ridiculous number of minutes.

Which is perfectly reasonably, because like the original variant, doing so prevent him from using spells.

And if you're worried about out of combat, don't. Any time where he'd have enough downtime to recover his spell points after stacking up FH for hours, he'd also have the time to do the same thing with traditional heals.
Yeah, but druids don't normally have traditional heals unless he memorizes a bunch, or has the spell points. And that's fine. I'm totally for that. As for out of combat, I'm not concerned about that. I just don't want him focusing on it.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
Right, so where's the need to worry about him burning spell points for the rejuv? Why give him extra, but limited, specific uses of his rejuv?

Not to mention that the standard rejuv is pretty underpowered for anything other than ooc healing, for which you really shouldn't have to be worrying about anyway.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:59:53 PM »
Right, so where's the need to worry about him burning spell points for the rejuv? Why give him extra, but limited, specific uses of his rejuv?

Not to mention that the standard rejuv is pretty underpowered for anything other than ooc healing, for which you really shouldn't have to be worrying about anyway.
Because my DMs have taught me to be the most maniacal bastard possible, and nerf everything that's not core, and make sure everyone never gets any gold whatsoever so I can kill them all with a single thought?

Or it could be because that mechanically the two of us just wanted something that seemed balanced and set so that it was equivalent to what it was before. Before you sacrificed a spell. Now, you can't. So instead you have uses per day equal to what you would have gotten before. It just put us both at ease, mentally.

I changed the cantrip cost too, for spell points. He's able to cast double the number he was supposed to be allowed to do before. They're cantrips. I don't really care.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:04:30 AM »
Before you sacrificed a spell. Now, you can't. So instead you have uses per day equal to what you would have gotten before.

As in, all of his normal spell slots?

I'm not trying to offend.

But I'm truly confused as to the purpose and scope of this change compared to simply letting him burn an equivalent number of spell points. It seems to either be he has a ton of rejuvs for free (all of his normal spells), or to be a unnecessarily complicated change and limit when the two variants already work together quite easily.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
Huh? Oh, no. I think I worded things wrongly. What you said is accurate regarding equivalent spell points being burned.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:26:30 AM »
Huh? Oh, no. I think I worded things wrongly. What you said is accurate regarding equivalent spell points being burned.

Ah, okay. Glad we were on the same page after all, we just didn't quite realize it.  :lmao

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »

Ah, okay. Glad we were on the same page after all, we just didn't quite realize it.  :lmao
Yeah sometimes I word things wrongly. It all depends on the amount of sleep I've had, and functionality of my brain.