Author Topic: Breaking open what's already in shambles: the Book of Ultimate Feats  (Read 4732 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
So I ran into a campaign with a DM that cited this book by name. It's from Mongoose Publishing, and it has literally a ton of feats. (Read: if each feat weight 1 kilogram, you'd get a ton.) Just scouring through the arcane feat section (the feats are all categorized according to which archetype they're appropriate to) I practically had an evilgasm. Couple of notables:

Bloodburn: take Xd6 damage, raise your CL by X. Limit is up to your charisma modifier (and requires you to cast spontaneously too, so obviously a sorcerer feat). Keep in mind the feat doesn't reference temporary augmentation as being a no-no.

Bloodcasting: gain a daily spell slot up to the highest level you can cast, take 1d4 Con damage. Hello Naberius dip, how do you do? I'm fine, thank you. And now you have infinite spell slots without going Tainted Scholar or such things. Alternatively, be undead.

Known Spells Focus: Gain bonus spells as spells known. Yours is the charisma that shall pierce the heavens and learn you a freaking ton of spells!

So who else wants to help me devise deliciously broken manners to pulverize what's already torn apart?  :D
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Breaking open what's already in shambles: the Book of Ultimate Feats
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:02:32 PM »
So I ran into a campaign with a DM that cited this book by name. It's from Mongoose Publishing, and it has literally a ton of feats. (Read: if each feat weight 1 kilogram, you'd get a ton.) Just scouring through the arcane feat section (the feats are all categorized according to which archetype they're appropriate to) I practically had an evilgasm. Couple of notables:

Bloodburn: take Xd6 damage, raise your CL by X. Limit is up to your charisma modifier (and requires you to cast spontaneously too, so obviously a sorcerer feat). Keep in mind the feat doesn't reference temporary augmentation as being a no-no.

Bloodcasting: gain a daily spell slot up to the highest level you can cast, take 1d4 Con damage. Hello Naberius dip, how do you do? I'm fine, thank you. And now you have infinite spell slots without going Tainted Scholar or such things. Alternatively, be undead.

Known Spells Focus: Gain bonus spells as spells known. Yours is the charisma that shall pierce the heavens and learn you a freaking ton of spells!

So who else wants to help me devise deliciously broken manners to pulverize what's already torn apart?  :D
I normally don't bother trying to optimize 3rd party; I just say "meh, third party" and then laugh at the silly shit they make.  :D
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
Do you think you could post the entire entry for Bloodcasting? Requirements in particular, as I'd like to try using it on a Cleric.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
seems to me bloodcasting lets you do the earthspell/sanctum spell spell level shuffle gain really easily.

earth spell: casting 10ths.
bloodcasting: gain 10th level slot.
earth spell: casting 11's.
bloodcasting: gain an 11th level spell slot.

ect ect.

naberius makes this far too easy.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
That book is so terribly balanced.  Doesn't stop me from using something from it, though ;)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »
Do you think you could post the entire entry for Bloodcasting? Requirements in particular, as I'd like to try using it on a Cleric.

Unless you're going to be a Theurge or willing to sink a few feats into it, I wouldn't recommend it. The feat requires you to cast third level arcane spells.

That's about all it requires though, and the feat itself doesn't SPECIFICALLY mention it only works for arcane spells (though there is a vague mention to wizards).

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
Spell Level Combination
Arcane Shaper
Lasting Spell

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »
Any non magical broken feats?
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »
I didn't check that far, I was mostly pondering what was left in the dust.  :lmao

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:11 AM »
Body shaping (feats of the monstrous section) is a troll-specific feat that lets you grow extra arms that give you extra claw attacks, with no upper limit on the number of extra arms.  

Spell chain (feats of power section) would let you nova like nobodies business.  A human wizard could take the feat 11 times by 20th level and gain the ability to cast 12 standard action spells with a single standard action and 12 swift action spells with a single swift action, at the cost of +2 to the level of each spell cast.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:46:42 AM by Maat_Mons »

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
I normally don't bother trying to optimize 3rd party; I just say "meh, third party" and then laugh at the silly shit they make.  :D
This

However abilities clearly not useful to casters could still be interesting. Non-casters have so few nice things.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »

Mongoose is also a particularly bad source.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:29:07 AM »
Wasn't this the book with the joke feat section in the back? I remember showing it to a friend of mine. He got a kick out of the "Bonus Feat" feat. Of course, you could select Bonus Feat as your bonus feat, and repeat ad nauseum.

And then, once you have Bonus Feat as a feat about 100 times, you start embracing and shunning the dark chaos.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 01:40:56 AM »
Wasn't this the book with the joke feat section in the back? I remember showing it to a friend of mine. He got a kick out of the "Bonus Feat" feat. Of course, you could select Bonus Feat as your bonus feat, and repeat ad nauseum.

And then, once you have Bonus Feat as a feat about 100 times, you start embracing and shunning the dark chaos.
:lol

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 03:32:13 AM »

Lol. That deserves a special mention. Infinite feats
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 05:08:05 AM »
Spell Level Combination
Arcane Shaper
Lasting Spell

Best,
David

Yeah, I always loved to fire up a Lasting Spell with Divine metamagic and the Dweomer Keepers supernatural spell.  End up with every buff up all the time, only an antimagic field can take it down.

Bloodcasting also works well if you are a cleric or have access to heal on your list.  Just sac con to cast a free heal to restore con.  I have used this in combination with spell chain, which is really funny with chain dispell and of course orbs of force.

There are some nice early entry feats in that book as well.  I don't remeber the names off hand, but there is one feat that increases your skill rank cap by 1 for all skills and another that increases the cap by 2 for one skill.  If you are human and have access to flaws, it allows for some really early PrC entry.  You might even be able to retrain it later after you no longer need the feats.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot the psionic love.  They have Persistent Power for +8 points.  A little expensive, but even more powerful than persistent spell since there are a ton of personal psionic powers.  With over channel and other tricks, not to hard to apply to those nice 1 round armor powers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:16:07 AM by Widow »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
Wait, is this bonus feat feat a fighter bonus feat? Because if it is, it goes from silliness to awesomeness.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 02:16:27 AM »

Would PHB2 retraining be applicable here?

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 02:50:46 AM »
Any non magical broken feats?

Furious Strength allows you to forgo the standard benefit of rage and gain a +20 to strength for one action that can last no longer than a minute, the only pre-req is having rage as a class ability.

Monster Slayer doubles your Power Attack bonus when using it against creatures larger than you.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:58:01 AM by Cyrocloud »

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
Any interesing ideas for Artificer with Creade Wondrous Creature? How it affects retain essence  :D?
Craft Magic Tattoo also sounds pretty funny. Still, you probably cant apply any metamagic to it after crafting, eh?

Monster Slayer doubles your Power Attack bonus when using it against creatures larger than you.

I see stupid synergy potentials here with Halfling Ubermount Chargers and Gnome Giant Slayer types...  :o
Ghost Pixie Hood, eh?
Still, its "Large or larger", not "larger than you"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 04:24:50 PM by Nemo »