Author Topic: Help me find my wagon, please.  (Read 5395 times)

Morokael

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Help me find my wagon, please.
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:49:04 PM »
I have a wagon, pulled my donkeys, carrying much of the party's extra equipment, wealth, etc. Therefore, my DM will probably end up taking it away from me/us at some point, whether it's while we sleep or while we are in a dungeon.

How do I find it back? Will Locate Object be a good low-level solution to find it's direction? It's range (400+40ft / level) is concerning. Does the wagon have to be within that range for me to find the direction?

Any other low-level alternatives to help find it? Any mid/high-level sure-fire ways of finding it or simply teleporting it back to me?

Additionally, any tips on not losing it in the first place?

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
Re: Help me find my wagon, please.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:10:44 AM »
Consolidate that shit into a bag of holding or two.  NEVER have your junk out of reach.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Morokael

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:23:42 AM »
"Help me build a fighter, please" - "Play a cleric."

Your post is useless to this thread. Stay on topic or don't post.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:30:38 AM »
"Help me build a fighter, please" - "Play a cleric."

Your post is useless to this thread. Stay on topic or don't post.
I've useless.  Sorry.  What casting capability do we have to work with?  Anything with track?  IIRC there is a low level spell in Complete Scoundrel to help keep tabs on stuff.  What books are open?  Party details?  Wealth invested in the wagon?  More info would be nice.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Morokael

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:33:48 AM »
Any wizards/paizo book or resource. Any class ability. Anything that will help track it down if I lose it. Anything that makes it impervious to theft in the first place. This is an open-ended question, no limits.

I'll check complete scoundrel for spells, thanks for the suggestion.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »
Enlarge locate object at 5th level for double range (1200', hmm... a little under a 1/4 mile at 5th...)

Arcane mark the tongue, underneath where most folks won't find it. Very good unique bit for the locate object spell.

Use the Track feat with survival. A wagon typically requires a road, or pretty even ground. If they don't follow the road, they ought to be easy to track.

set a trap/guardian... Alarm spell can alert you mentally as long as you're within 1 mile of it. Perhaps your DM will allow you to decide what triggers the alarm: creatures crossing the ward, or the wagon crossing the ward.

Hope these ideas help.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 03:02:05 AM »

Whats your party composition? Rac, class & cool toys.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Morokael

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 03:44:32 AM »
I said -
Any wizards/paizo book or resource. Any class ability. Anything that will help track it down if I lose it. Anything that makes it impervious to theft in the first place. This is an open-ended question, no limits.

You said -
Whats your party composition? Rac, class & cool toys.

Please read, then post.

Chennus: great ideas - sadly I hadn't even thought of something as mundane as follow the wagon ruts in the ground! I assumed some dragon would fly off with it, or some kind of teleportation. Perhaps I've been playing too much DnD? I really like the idea of Alarm - making it permanent would be nice - plus it doubles as some extra just-in-case when sleeping by the wagon!

Ubernoob: There are three spells from Complete Scoundrel that are in the spirit of the idea. Evacuation Rune could be used, but it would be pretty dangerous, as whoever cast the spell would teleport to the wagon blind. Scry Location unfortunately doesn't work, as the wagon isn't a location. Would have been nice, due to it's limitless range. Spymaster's Coin is a neat idea - cast it on a nail or something in the wagon. It isn't perfect, but it does let you see what's around the small item you cast it on - so it COULD be used in conjunction with evacuation rune or another kind of teleport to get a view of things. Plus, there's always the chance you recognize where the wagon is (in a city or near a significant landmark) just with the spell itself. Thanks for the tips.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 04:15:54 AM »

Okay than, irrespective of practicality, poison the wagon. Only a warforged can touch it. Have a druid train your cart horses to obey only the party, or better yet have an artificer build a clockwork mount. Use the clairvoyance spell.  Put on a fake wheel with a metamagic snake sigil spell, anyone trying to fix the broken wheel is trapped. Shrink your wagon and keep it with you. Have a yuan-ti sleep in it as a tiny snake. Have an artificer make your wagon a command activated magic item.

But the thing is laddie, if you had access to any spell or class ability, you wouldn't be fooling around with wagons. A properly buily low level artificer, cleric or wizard could do this, but ... well I don't know what your parties made of now do I.

Your assumptions of belief are your own; I asked to narrow down & assist you expediently.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 04:17:11 AM »
Well said, Straw_Man. :clap
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:36 AM »
Well said, Straw_Man. :clap

Danke. I'm cool with most things, but posters who ask for our help as if entitled to it always rile me *shrugs*.

Morokael

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 05:10:43 AM »
If you would prefer to bash me, you can do that privately in messages, either to me or to other board members. If you don't want to answer my questions, don't reply. No one forced you to read this thread and comment.

And no, I do not feel entitled to swift, perfect answers. I do, however, feel entitled to someone actually reading the thread before posting. I also feel entitled to people staying on topic. Finally, I feel entitled to people on the forum acting like adults - and those who cannot being moderated appropriately.

By the way Straw_Man, those are excellent ideas. Thank you for your on-topic input.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
If you would prefer to bash me, you can do that privately in messages, either to me or to other board members. If you don't want to answer my questions, don't reply. No one forced you to read this thread and comment.

And no, I do not feel entitled to swift, perfect answers. I do, however, feel entitled to someone actually reading the thread before posting. I also feel entitled to people staying on topic. Finally, I feel entitled to people on the forum acting like adults - and those who cannot being moderated appropriately.

By the way Straw_Man, those are excellent ideas. Thank you for your on-topic input.

Sir, I do not believe I 'bashed' you, our opinions may differ. I asked a question intended to help you most expeditely, at a level where your messing with wagons and with a GM that literally wants to put a spoke in wagon, these are musts for practical purpose optimisation.

You took umbrage and assumed that I was doing this from negligence. I took umbrage back, I'm a moderate poster, but your actions did feel in my opinion stemming from a sense of entitlement. I still gave my ideas, and yes, I replied to a board member about how I feel about posters who feel entitled to anything but friendly and civil help. This thread is public domain and no one's sensivities are paramount here. CO of any type is open, often heated and above all organic.

If you find this exchange too ... crude, you know my username, PM me.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 05:41:29 AM »
Maybe there's a little too much snark flowing in this thread. Though as a non-mod, I guess I could be correctly told to shut my gob.

On topic, now. Straw_Man, does shrink item also shrink the stuff inside the wagon?

Howzabout something like stone shape to hold it in place while you're in a long dungeon crawl? Wall of stone could do the same thing. Invest in an Immovable Rod and make it a part of your wagon; you've got a pretty effective 'emergency-brake', as long as the command word is obscured, say nystul's magic aura on the rod to hide it's magic. That's pretty high level; leaving 5k on 'security' is kinda spendy.

How do you seal the wagon from pilfering?

Too bad a Stone of Alarm is only audible. Heh, car alarm. Could the wagon be put into a rope trick although it's not a creature? Extend it, if so. Maybe make a custom item of it?

Also, although a wagon may not be the most efficient method of holding your extra gear; it's very iconic IMO. And there are other reasons you need to guard or find mundane stuff. For example what if you need to guard a carriage transporting people. Or are part of a caravan train and one of the caravans gets lost.

Plus, I'm guilty of failing to follow 'read, then post.' ubernoob actually suggested track first, but I missed it.
Camlen, Enniwey

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 06:03:44 AM »

Hmm, I wonder if you could airwalk it, help it get into the dungeon. Regretably I don't think Shrink Item works that way ... maybe ... holy mother of God ... hows this sound guys?

Warforged, enlarged, alter self'd into a wagon. A frigging Transformer! Maybe not the most practical though, and there no WBL to indicate where we should stop the Opt. I mean, Summon Monster Scroll & UMD or full caster - ask a Djinna Wish to have your wagon unstealable.

If Gleemax wasn't failing so much I'd link him to the "Living in a Flying Box" thread. Need to be a high level Wiz or Arfc but thats a super wagon. Don't think the Animate Haunt trick would work here would it here?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:15:56 AM by Straw_Man »

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 06:19:34 AM »
Transformer!?  :lol Right on! :clap

Is there some variation on the deeppockets spell from 2e? 2e Dragon had one from a seafaring set of rules. That could hide the stuff on ... aw heck! Resilient sphere on a caged bird on the wagon. Have to teleport the wagon, and no LOE.
Camlen, Enniwey

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 06:27:27 AM »
Transformer!?  :lol Right on! :clap

Is there some variation on the deeppockets spell from 2e? 2e Dragon had one from a seafaring set of rules. That could hide the stuff on ... aw heck! Resilient sphere on a caged bird on the wagon. Have to teleport the wagon, and no LOE.

Interesting. A druid could train the bard for cheap ... but the size taking it dungeon crawling is the snag. And I just loathe leaving things under NPC protection if they just leave it R.Sphered , the GM always comes up with a way to bypass them.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:12:34 AM »
R. Sphere for 7th+; immobile. TK Sphere for high level wagon tom-foolery...? Ick! Only 1min/level, even extended that reeks. Oh, well...
Camlen, Enniwey

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 09:06:24 AM »
Have the druid wildshape into a horse. Hide the wizard's familiar in the wagon.

I like the transformer idea, but it would be cooler to make the wagon an animated object. Then you could have a warforged egoist declare "Super Mode!" and combine with the wagon :D

Hang on, could you permananently polymorph a construct familiar into a wagon? You could use the "psion sandwich" trick, surely.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
Have the druid wildshape into a horse. Hide the wizard's familiar in the wagon.

I like the transformer idea, but it would be cooler to make the wagon an animated object. Then you could have a warforged egoist declare "Super Mode!" and combine with the wagon :D

Hang on, could you permananently polymorph a construct familiar into a wagon? You could use the "psion sandwich" trick, surely.

Polymorph would be delicious cheese in this sandwich. +1 Construct familiar & Polymorph.