Author Topic: Is there a playable core-only melee character?  (Read 21958 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Is there a playable core-only melee character?
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »
As usually, a good solution to pseudo-corpses is an in-game solution. Have a few RSoPs visit the guy if he exaggerates. :) OR give him the chance to sacrifice his super-zombies (because note: corpses don't make skellies, AND even letting the corpse rot need not produce one, because the statue the corpse came from likely as not never have had any bones in it) in some last-ditch battle. He gets some fun and glory, but doesn't spoil anything because the encounter was never winnable.

The worst that can happen is that his party doesn't want to be around him anymore, and he gets to make a new character.

You can make skeletons from intact corpses, the flesh just falls off their bones. About whether the statue->corpse transition creates a skeleton or not depends on how you interpret the wording of stone to flesh, but I think that a corpse would have a skeleton.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
As usually, a good solution to pseudo-corpses is an in-game solution. Have a few RSoPs visit the guy if he exaggerates. :) OR give him the chance to sacrifice his super-zombies (because note: corpses don't make skellies, AND even letting the corpse rot need not produce one, because the statue the corpse came from likely as not never have had any bones in it) in some last-ditch battle. He gets some fun and glory, but doesn't spoil anything because the encounter was never winnable.

The worst that can happen is that his party doesn't want to be around him anymore, and he gets to make a new character.

You can make skeletons from intact corpses, the flesh just falls off their bones. About whether the statue->corpse transition creates a skeleton or not depends on how you interpret the wording of stone to flesh, but I think that a corpse would have a skeleton.
you also cannot animate skeletons from corpses previously used to make other undead, as well.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2010, 05:49:06 AM »
Also, stone shape can, you just have to make a craft check, per the spell description.
Fabricate lets you make a craft check, but not Stone Shape... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneShape.htm

---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »
Also, stone shape can, you just have to make a craft check, per the spell description.
Fabricate lets you make a craft check, but not Stone Shape... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneShape.htm

I stand corrected. However, it could be argued a check could be used for the material component..
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]