Author Topic: Optimizing a Psionic/Monk Ur-Priest  (Read 8159 times)

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Optimizing a Psionic/Monk Ur-Priest
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »

[On the build]
Why combat casting? If you're just having trouble finding feats. Snap Kick + that tob feat that counts your level 4 higher for monk damage or linked power, improved natural attack, or mayby martial study and stance.

Heh, using the info from this thread the updated build looks like this:

2 Monk/3 Ardent/2 Ur-priest/10 Mystic Theurge and X Ardent

Human: Apprentice Criminal
1: Iron Will
Flaw: Spell focus Evil
Monk1: Monastic Training
3: Practised Manifester
Monk2: Tashalatora
6: Metapsionic feat or Metamagic?
Ditto for 9 and 12

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
Why take psychic theurge past 8?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 03:57:43 PM »
I would consider something like Ardent 10/Monk 1/Ur-priest 1/Psychic Theurge 8 (rearranged however you like), because the dominant ideal ACF is that awesome.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »
I would consider something like Ardent 10/Monk 1/Ur-priest 1/Psychic Theurge 8 (rearranged however you like), because the dominant ideal ACF is that awesome.

In this case, fuck monk
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 09:52:17 PM »
Why take psychic theurge past 8?
Sorry I meant X but i guess I was thinking roman. 

In this case, fuck monk
You know, I feel your sentiment.  The build is already unwieldy.  It's not the best build in the world and will probably only perform well if I play strategically during combats.  I do want those 9th level spells as fast as possible though. Also I do still need 2 ur-priest for the Psychic Theurge prereqs.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »
Well what do you really need those monk levels for? The AC bonus is easily replicated by armor, the dragonhusk ACF, or any of several powers. The unarmed damage thing + tashalatora is a huge feat sink in what is already a feat starved build since you need those to qualify for Ur-priest. I guess evasion is kind of nice and combat reflexes is nice, but is it worth losing out on a full level of manifesting?
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 07:06:12 AM »
What or where is dragonhusk.  Also if I drop the monk then how do I optimize a Psion for Urpriest by 6th level?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
What or where is dragonhusk.
A Dragon Magic ACF, it lets you make your own armor out of scales you grow on your skin, giving rather high ac values and some energy resistance in exchange for your heavy armor proficiency, and you have to be dragonblooded.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
There isn't too much to optimize in those first few levels if you're doing with pure psion entry. Spend your bonus feats on a psicrystal, spend your regular feats on the prereqs for Ur-priest.

The dragonhusk works well with Ardent which gets heavy armor proficiency; psions don't have any armor proficiency.
---

Luckanan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »

How are you getting the Spellcraft ranks in this build?

Heh, using the info from this thread the updated build looks like this:

2 Monk/3 Ardent/2 Ur-priest/10 Mystic Theurge and X Ardent

Human: Apprentice Criminal
1: Iron Will
Flaw: Spell focus Evil
Monk1: Monastic Training
3: Practised Manifester
Monk2: Tashalatora
6: Metapsionic feat or Metamagic?
Ditto for 9 and 12

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 12:33:57 AM »
How are you getting the Spellcraft ranks in this build?

DM is allowing me to use psicraft/spellcraft transparency as I am also taking the Magic Mantle.

Actually my DM approved it for play already.  The only thing I'm having trouble with is The Ur-Priest part of the build.  I'm pretty feat starved so I'm not sure if going for divine metamagic  is worth it.  All my stats are decent for the particular character but i'm unsure what to do with the charisma.  I have: 14  14  17  14  22 12.  I'm seriously considering switching Con and Cha.  A 12 Con doesnt worry me cause I have vigor/share pain cheese and a decent AC.  But as it currently stands i can get one use out of DMM quicken.  If I switch i get one use out of DMM persist.  I haven't used a non DMM cleric in so long don't know what to use her for except buffs, heals and flame strike.         
    If I lose the DMM stuff could use the saved up feats to augment the Psion part of the build. Maybe take Metapower feat.  One feat I was really interested in is from Complete Psionic called Skin Of The Construct   Essentially this lets you use the choices on menu A of the Astral Construct power on yourself. This would help with lessening the need for prepping utility spells in my cleric list notably, fly and water walk.  other bennies include gaining improved natural attack and gaining another 10ft to move speed (both great for the Monk aspect of the build.)  Each of these would cost a measly 1 PP and if I needed to conserve actions I just link power it to hustle.  As I've never used this feat  before I'm just not sure how useful it will be later on.  I do know that I will see it's benefits way faster than the DMM route especially DMM persist.  So...  DMM route or boost the psionics or something even more brilliant?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »
If you're using Eberron books anyway and are LE (I can't be sure, though, I'm guessing off of Ur-Priest), grab some symbionts.  I'm not kidding.  Throwing Scarabs (MoE) are great for this.

Now, Share Vigor with them and Share Pain too.  A mere 10k and this setup means you take 1/6th damage from everything yourself.  Just add symbionts to take even less damage.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 03:45:06 AM »
If you're using Eberron books anyway and are LE (I can't be sure, though, I'm guessing off of Ur-Priest), grab some symbionts.  I'm not kidding.  Throwing Scarabs (MoE) are great for this.

Now, Share Vigor with them and Share Pain too.  A mere 10k and this setup means you take 1/6th damage from everything yourself.  Just add symbionts to take even less damage.

Heh, though I am using Ebberon books for feats we are in a custom setting.  I will ask my DM about the scarabs though once I explain why I want them...let's just say I prefer to make all my builds as item independent as possible.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
Why not switch Str and Cha?

Edit: you also only need 8 levels of psychic theurge

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 11:09:39 AM »
The scarabs are also handy for having a thrown attack ready at all times, just in case you want to save on spells/pp.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »
How does spell casting work with the Ur-Priest.  Even though you get access to high level spells your caster level is waaay to low.  Am I able to cast spells regardless of my caster level??  Do I have to burn a bunch of feats on practiced spellcaster?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »
You can cast anyway.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
Although practiced spellcaster is always a good feat!

Shard

• Noob
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »
Does the ACF Dragonhusk interferes with a Monk's Ac Bonus? On a Monk/Ardent build. Since Dragonhusk is considered medium armor.

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
How does spell casting work with the Ur-Priest.  Even though you get access to high level spells your caster level is waaay to low.  Am I able to cast spells regardless of my caster level??  Do I have to burn a bunch of feats on practiced spellcaster?

I'm AFB, so can someone remind me what the caster level calculation is for Ur-Priests?  I could've sworn it was something like 2xUP level.