Author Topic: Crimson Magus  (Read 1404 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Crimson Magus
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Wow. It's been a while since I've posted anything here. I've kinda been on a d20Modern kick for the past few months, but a couple days ago I drew a blood mage (which still isn't really done yet - don't get me started on the hands, ugh...) and got an idea for the class. I'm in the process of preparing a Pathfinder game to test the system out... and I know the general consensus here is that Pathfinder epicly failed at balance, which is specifically why I'm bringing this class (and hopefully the other niche casting classes, including a Pathfinder-ized Foci Magus) to this board. You guys are, thus far, the only people I know who can reliably tell me whether something I make for 3.X is broken one way or another. Thus I humbly submit the first draft of the class to you.
Thank you in advance. :)

Something I liked about Pathfinder was the addition of class abilities to the full casters. That was great... except that it defeated their attempt to power up warriors. For my class not only is casting rather costly, it also only goes up to 7th level spells by 20th level. I'm hoping that this will, somehow, help balance the class despite it having unique class abilities.

Something I am worried about, though, is that it might need some kind of healing penalty to keep healing items/spells from becoming unbalanced in combination with blood magic. For instance a cleric casting CLW could potentially grant the crimson magus 6 1st level spells... which is ridiculous.

The Crimson Magus

PS. the pic for the class will get better once I sit down and finish it. For now it's kinda... undetailed, and the lack of anything interesting on the robe/dress garment bothers me. Oh well, though.
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Crimson Magus
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
First thing is your really need to put some kind of limiting factor on the spell casting would make the class really brokenly powerful as there are many ways of getting infinite healing. And if you find a way to limit the healing you would make the class broken in the unplayable sense. The class would also be a bit weak as the character has to spend actions in combat hurting themselves instead of the enemy. I think you should just scrap the HP sacrificing mechanism entirely as it has to many problems with integrating it into the game balance. You could replace it with a set amount of blood points per day based on level (like psionics) with the ability to gain a small recharge whenever the character kills a creation with more than one HD (to prevent or at least limit the bag of rats stratagy).

Also the class name reminds me of Red Mage from 8 Bit Theater (I believe Crimson Magus is what the character calls his class).

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Re: Crimson Magus
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »
First thing is your really need to put some kind of limiting factor on the spell casting would make the class really brokenly powerful as there are many ways of getting infinite healing.
Which is what I was worried about.
And if you find a way to limit the healing you would make the class broken in the unplayable sense. The class would also be a bit weak as the character has to spend actions in combat hurting themselves instead of the enemy.
To be fair, they can cast and sacrifice HP at the same time (using the same standard action). They just need to build up for more powerful spells. I do see your point, however.
I think you should just scrap the HP sacrificing mechanism entirely as it has to many problems with integrating it into the game balance. You could replace it with a set amount of blood points per day based on level (like psionics) with the ability to gain a small recharge whenever the character kills a creation with more than one HD (to prevent or at least limit the bag of rats stratagy).
I'll consider removing the HP sacrifice mechanic, though I'm currently working on another idea (more or less a compromise) to balance it. Essentially the Crimson Magus can only spend so much of her life force in one day (the amount is equal to her HP maximum count), but it is still accessed by harming herself. Whenever she casts, she pays the HP cost directly (which also depletes the total amount of life force she can spend). Whenever she chooses to draw life force from taking damage, it goes into her Blood Point pool which she can cast from instead of her HP pool.
Whenever she is healed, her life force isn't. That requires the standard 8 hours of rest to recharge.

Simply:
HP: Standard hit points, must be lost to access life force
Life Force: Equal to Max HP, depleted with casting.
Blood Points: Obtained through the loss of HP (and life force) via attacks, as well as the deaths of other creatures. Can be spent in place of HP/Life Force.

I'll need more clear terms, and I'll need to sort things out a bit better, but maybe that could work? Would it be clearer to say she can't obtain more than her max HP in blood points per day, aside from points she gains from other creatures' deaths?
If that does work, I think I'll bring the price of casting spells back in line with the power point cost for manifesting psionics.

And good point about the bag o' rats. I'll be sure to add that specification in.
Also the class name reminds me of Red Mage from 8 Bit Theater (I believe Crimson Magus is what the character calls his class).
Could be. I haven't read 8 Bit Theater in a long time. I should go back and re-read.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:48:40 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.