Author Topic: Is it just me...  (Read 2788 times)

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
Is it just me...
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
...or have other people become aware of how stifling the Action Economy becomes when the majority of Player Characters only have "Standard" and "Move" action abilities? When I choose powers for my character, I always look at minor and immediate action-powers first, if only to have something to do that doesn't require *yet another* Standard or Move action.

Strikers seem better off than most because they generally have a use for their "minor" action: namely, whatever their "acquire lock" power is (Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse, Oath of Enmity, Assassin's Shroud).
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Is it just me...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
It's not just you. Minor action and Immediate action powers, especially attack powers, are generally worth a good hard look.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
It's not just you. Minor action and Immediate action powers, especially attack powers, are generally worth a good hard look.

I'm playing a 5th-level wizard who stays out of combat like a good little squishy wizard, and I picked up the mediocre-looking Summon Fire Warrior daily simply because I could stick him in the middle of combat and take Opportunity Attacks like the fighters. Does that make me a bad person? Then again, I tend to use Flaming Sphere more often because it lets me kill minions at the start of their turn...

I feel like the only thing I'm here for is to stop the mooks from swarming the party, which despite it's alleged awesomeness, feels shallow.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
Well, the Devs were wet behind the ears on their own system when they made the Wizard class. They've since gotten better at making Controllers. The stated aim of the role is technically battlefield control (which minion-killing falls under, but it's only part of the fun) and debuff, but before 7th or so Wizards don't get much of that.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Well, the Devs were wet behind the ears on their own system when they made the Wizard class. They've since gotten better at making Controllers. The stated aim of the role is technically battlefield control (which minion-killing falls under, but it's only part of the fun) and debuff, but before 7th or so Wizards don't get much of that.

I've built an invoker since then, which seems like it fits the role much better.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »
Well, sorcerers are strikers, and they don't have a lock-on power.  But yes, I also look at whether a power uses an immediate or minor action, and give a lot of weight to that.  Being able to fire off more stuff at once is nearly always better than a bonus die of damage on a single power.