Author Topic: Factotum Help  (Read 8289 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Factotum Help
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
I'm not entirely sure Manyshot is worth it if you're going for poison.  You might find Sickening Strike and Terrifying Strike to be more useful... they both allow you to spend a little inspiration to boost sneak attack and then give enemies a -4 to all saves for a round.  That'll help your poisons land and help any other party casters too.  This goes incredibly well with a two level dip in Unarmed Swordsage, which gives 2d6 sneak attack (via Assassin's Stance) and a bunch of very handy maneuvers.

JaronK

Dark5ide

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 03:25:04 AM »
Hrm...so It would go Factotum 8/Swordsage 2/Chameleon X?

So, on Brains over Brawn, do you add int to your attack roll as well? It wasn't very clear if that counts...

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 03:38:04 AM »
Hrm...so It would go Factotum 8/Swordsage 2/Chameleon X?

So, on Brains over Brawn, do you add int to your attack roll as well? It wasn't very clear if that counts...

An attack roll isn't a Strength or Dexterity check (even with Weapon Finesse). Note that initiative is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:45:24 AM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 03:45:21 AM »
[edit] Nevermind then.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Dark5ide

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 05:08:53 AM »
Ah, I thought so. I knew about the dex bonus, but didn't know if when attacking str/dex was "checked". Thanks for clarifying!

Dark5ide

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »
I'm not entirely sure Manyshot is worth it if you're going for poison.  You might find Sickening Strike and Terrifying Strike to be more useful... they both allow you to spend a little inspiration to boost sneak attack and then give enemies a -4 to all saves for a round.  That'll help your poisons land and help any other party casters too.  This goes incredibly well with a two level dip in Unarmed Swordsage, which gives 2d6 sneak attack (via Assassin's Stance) and a bunch of very handy maneuvers.

JaronK

Actually, I just checked and unless there was an errata, I would need to be Swordsage 3 in order to get the 3rd level assassin's stance. Also why unarmed? I mean it would certainly make me more versatile, but if I'm using a bow for the majority of my fights why not make the best of it?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »

JaronK

Actually, I just checked and unless there was an errata, I would need to be Swordsage 3 in order to get the 3rd level assassin's stance. Also why unarmed? I mean it would certainly make me more versatile, but if I'm using a bow for the majority of my fights why not make the best of it?
if you have light armor proficiency, the unarmed adaptation gives you something for nothing.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »
Actually, I just checked and unless there was an errata, I would need to be Swordsage 3 in order to get the 3rd level assassin's stance.

Only if you start with Swordsage levels.  If you take other levels first, your initiator level goes up, so you can take Assassin's Stance at SS 2.  For example, a Factotum 4/Swordsage 1 has an initiator level of 3 (which would be enough to do it, except that your first stance must always be a level 1 stance).  A Factotum 4/Swordsage 2 would have an initiator level of 4, which is plenty.  For this reason, it's best to take your Swordsage levels as late as possible in the build.

Also why unarmed? I mean it would certainly make me more versatile, but if I'm using a bow for the majority of my fights why not make the best of it?

Because Unarmed Swordsage loses light armor proficiency (which you already have anyway) to get unarmed strike damage like a Monk.  It might not come up much, but having it is handy.  There's always the possibility that the DM will decide to leave you chained up and unarmed some where.  Being able to use Escape Artist (boosted by your Factotum abilities) to pop out of the chains, then use a Mountain Hammer strike to punch through walls... well that's a handy way to escape.

JaronK

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
It's also vaguely worth mentioning that the brains over brawn also applies to tripping.  I remember one of my friends making a factotum/master thrower that more or less just threw knives into everyone's legs.
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
It's also vaguely worth mentioning that the brains over brawn also applies to tripping.  I remember one of my friends making a factotum/master thrower that more or less just threw knives into everyone's legs.
....goddammit now I have to make that.

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »
The reason I love factotum so much is that you don't NEED to do any special tricks.  You can be an awesome factotum without iaijutsu.  You could be an awesome one with that OR poisons, on top of that.  Factotum is the ultimate class for those that don't just think outside the box, but leave the box entirely and construct a catapult out of a paperclip and rubber band to launch the box into space.

Incidentally, the Facotutm level 19 ability - could this also allow for alternate class abilities, or does the "it must appear in their advancement table" preclude that?
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
Incidentally, the Facotutm level 19 ability - could this also allow for alternate class abilities, or does the "it must appear in their advancement table" preclude that?
I think it does unfortunately.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
not that it really matters, when you yoink 19th level favored soul or sorcerer or spirit shaman casting.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
not that it really matters, when you yoink 19th level favored soul or sorcerer or spirit shaman casting.
15th, you mean.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »
The trick is you yoink Sorcerer spellcasting then Polymorph into a Solar for 150 minutes.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 11:07:22 PM »
15th, you mean.
No, you gain spellcasting as a member of that class of your factotum level. You just cannot choose a class ability that the class gains after level 15.
You use the ability as if your level in the relevant class equaled your factotum level.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 06:55:40 AM »
The trick is you yoink Sorcerer spellcasting then Polymorph into a Solar for 150 minutes.
Shapechange.

And, aren't there monsters that get Shapechange as a Su?

Leram

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 01:40:57 PM »
A Factotum 4/Swordsage 2 would have an initiator level of 4, which is plenty.

Isn't assassin's stance 3rd level? That would need 5 IL to take. Factotum 6/Swordsage 2?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
Isn't assassin's stance 3rd level? That would need 5 IL to take. Factotum 6/Swordsage 2?

Err, yeah.  Dunno why I suddenly thought it was level 2.

JaronK