Author Topic: Elemental Companion vs. Animal Companion  (Read 8160 times)

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Elemental Companion vs. Animal Companion
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »
I am soon to play a druid again, and I am tempted to go for the Elemental Companion from CM rather than just another boring riding dog. Have any of you got any expirience with the elemental comapnions? More specifically, I am considering an air elemental, becuase I recon that they have the most advantages.

Pros:
- The elemental is intelligent and has a language, and thus is capable of carrying out complex orders.
- An air elemental is easier to keep with you than any other elemental companion, and most animal companions.
- A large air elemental can carry you (or any party member) just as easily as a horse. This may benefit non-flying characters.
- The whirlwind ability seems like it may be an efficient way of shutting down low-ref monsters and characters.

Cons:
- The animal companion seems easier to replace, and is definately better in combat.

Thoughts?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Elemental Companion vs. Animal Companion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:29:04 PM »
For recon the earth elemental is actually better as it can do searches through most walls and also it can escape any attacker easily so it is less likely to die.

ragnarokschosen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
I love air elementals...

Remember I believe you can still select its feats for HD.
If you can get fly by attack and give it a bow or a reach weapon it can get deadly....

Whirl wind is awsome, it makes your lighting strikes get bigger.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:33:50 PM »
"Hey Spinny! Zappy Mode!"
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »
"Hey Spinny! Zappy Mode!"
this must be done.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:52:57 PM »
It really depends on what you want out of your companion, I know it's a cop-out answer but it's the truth.

Animal comapnions are better overall in combat, have more buffs that a druid can cast on them, and you have a much wider range in choice of animals vs elementals.

The elementals are smarter and can do things animals can't. I like the earth elemental especially if you plan on dungeon crawling.

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:32:52 AM »
How exactly does a whirling air elemental increase the size of my lightning strikes? Wouldn't I hurt it if I directed my lightning strike at it to hit whoever it had picked up?

And speaking of whirlwind, can a creature that has been picked up by the elemental attack it normally? Or other creatures for that matter? If say, an enemy archer, were being whirled around while shooting, who would he hit? Me? Random bystanders? The elemental?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:10:17 AM »
The air elemental augments your call lightning spell simply by being in the vicinity.  :)

or even a tornado (including a whirlwind formed by a djinni or an air elemental of at least Large size)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.