Author Topic: building a lvl 9 hexblade  (Read 2206 times)

Truncator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
building a lvl 9 hexblade
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »
Hello to anyone who may read this.
I will be starting a game at level 9 pretty soon and would like to make a Hexblade.
I know this is not the most powerful choice but i like the Hexblade flavor

so far my build looks like:

32 Point Buy elf
Str: 14
Dex: 18 (16+2racial)
Con: 12 (14-2racial)
Int:  8
Wis: 8
Cha: 18 (16+2 lvls 4 and 8)

Flaw1: -2 to ranged attacks    Flaw2: -4 to spot and listen
lvl1- Hexblade 1  - Weapon finesse, Curse of distraction, curse of ignorance (DM ruled that curse feats grants one additional Hexblades curse per day)
lvl2- Bard 1        -
lvl3- Hexblade 2  - DoomSpeak
lvl4- Hexblade 3  -
lvl5- Hexblade 4  - Dark companion variant
lvl6- Hexblade 5  - snowflake wardance, Obtain familiar (DM puts no restrictions on what feats can be chosen as hexblade/duskblade bonus feats)
lvl7- Hexblade 6  -
lvl8- Hexblade 7  -
lvl9- Hexblade 8  - extra music
--------------------------------------------------------Future plans -----------------------------------------------
lvl10- Monk 1  - ascetic monk (DM allows any feat that is monk themed to be take as a monk bonus feat)
lvl11- Monk 2  - combat reflexes
lvl12- Swordsage 1  - Weapon focus(diamond Mind), shadow blade
-------------------------------------------------------/Future plans -----------------------------------------------

yea, so thats my swashbuckling hexblade...
So if anyone has any suggestions on how to make my future hexblade better please tell me
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:39:39 PM by Truncator »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: building a lvl 9 hexblade
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:09 PM »
Do you think that you will enjoy being the butt monkey of enemy enchanters?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Truncator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:10:59 PM »
Its true that I could change my flaw to -3 to reflex saves instead
My will save would still be be 8(base) -3(flaw) -1(wis) +4(charisma): thats 8 without any items(extra 2 for enchantments thanks to elf)
Thats not too bad, and by level 12 my base will save would have gone up by 5

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
Here's the hexblade handbook for some solid advice

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7412.0

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:38 AM »

this is quite relevant.

a lvl 9 orc wizard starting with 16 int pre-adjustments, who has a headband of int +2, and no other DC boosters. casting hold person has a will save DC of 10+5+5=20

...you have a 12/20 (3/5) chance to fail your save against an unoptimized orc enchanter.

a human wizard with the same stats and equipment, and has spell focus and greater spell focus: DC 23
and this is before any real optimization.

also, you will be a quivering pile of useless in front of anything with (ex) fear.  hope you don't encounter any dragons in your game of Dungeons and Dragons.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 02:20:16 AM »

this is quite relevant.

a lvl 9 orc wizard starting with 16 int pre-adjustments, who has a headband of int +2, and no other DC boosters. casting hold person has a will save DC of 10+5+5=20

...you have a 12/20 (3/5) chance to fail your save against an unoptimized orc enchanter.

a human wizard with the same stats and equipment, and has spell focus and greater spell focus: DC 23

also, you will be a quivering pile of useless in front of anything with (ex) fear.  hope you don't encounter any dragons in your game of Dungeons and Dragons.

+1

Another relevant fact is that hold person is just one in an arsenal of Will-save based spells that could completely remove you from the rest of the fight during round 1 on a single failed save.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
was a typo; actually meant dominate person, which is a hell of a lot worse.

killyourfamilykillyourfamilykillyourfamilykillyourfamily...
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:53:40 AM »
Okay that -3 to will saves is going to hurt you bad, even with the +4 saves from charisma from Arcane Resistance against spells, and with a -1 to Will saves from 8 wisdom, you completely negated the any Will save bonus from Arcane Resistance so replace that flaw with something not as terrible if possible.
I recommend taking taking Practiced Spellcaster:Hexblade from Complete Arcane for the +4 caster level it gives so on the chance your spell works, it can be useful. Possible instead of using the class granted familiar use the PHII ACF to swap it out for a Dark Companion which will make it easier to hit the target from the -2 to AC and saves it gives, making it more likely the curse will stick, and attacks will land by a small amount, then get the familiar from the Obtain Familiar feat in the complete Arcane

I'm not an experienced Min/Maxer so use your best judgment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:58:52 AM by the_shadowmind »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Bard 1/Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter 3/Hexblade 4/Marshall 1
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Truncator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »

this is quite relevant.

I agree with the will save issue and have changed the opening post accordingly. Thanks for the advice
But your estimate was completely off...
My unequiped hexblade has 8 in will saves, 10 against enchantments
with a simplistic +2 to charisma item and a saves +2 item, that makes his will save +14 against your example, a 25%(1/4) chance of failing a DC 20
with the flaw removed, that makes it a 10% chance of failing it

And while its true that I will be nothing but a pile of fail if I ever go up against a dragon's fear effect, there still is an enormous amount of spells and effects that protect from or nullify fear (how often do you see a party without either a paladin or a cleric that can cast bless?)

Okay that -3 to will saves is going to hurt you bad, even with the +4 saves from charisma from Arcane Resistance against spells, and with a -1 to Will saves from 8 wisdom, you completely negated the any Will save bonus from Arcane Resistance so replace that flaw with something not as terrible if possible.
I recommend taking taking Practiced Spellcaster:Hexblade from Complete Arcane for the +4 caster level it gives so on the chance your spell works, it can be useful. Possible instead of using the class granted familiar use the PHII ACF to swap it out for a Dark Companion which will make it easier to hit the target from the -2 to AC and saves it gives, making it more likely the curse will stick, and attacks will land by a small amount, then get the familiar from the Obtain Familiar feat in the complete Arcane

I'm not an experienced Min/Maxer so use your best judgment.

Thanks for the practiced spell caster idea, but I think I will wait until later to try and fit it in because for now most of my feats are hard to replace
I hadn't thought about getting back my familiar with a feat after loosing it to dark companion, ill definitely do that