Author Topic: do class features that grant a limited version of an feat/feature/ability....  (Read 1430 times)

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
... count for purposes of qualifying for feats and classes that require that ability?

specific question: does the psi-crystal like ability of a psionic weapon master (3.5 conversion from the wotc website, not the 3.0 mind's eye version) count for qualifying purposes of other feats and class features that require a psi-crystal, for example the crystal master capstone ability (again, the 3.5 conversion from the website, not the 3.0 mind's eye version).

pros:
1) as a side example: the limited wildshaping ranger alternate class feature is considered close enough to wildshaping to qualify for any wildshaping requirements, including using it to swap out for other alternate class features.

2) the text of the ability in question does state that the psi-crystal / weapon can be used to hold a focus if you take the psi-crystal containment feat, implying that it meets requirement qualifications.

cons:
1) not all abilities (including this one) explicitly say that they function like the base ability in question, even if they reference that ability for part of the text or rules. the psi-crystal weapon ability is more of a limited version of the psi-crystal feat that does not progress.

2) ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:04:58 PM by nijineko »
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
If I was DM and the class required a psicrystal, I'd allow it.  Essentially if  the prereqs or the class abilities called for something the weapon could not do, like manifest personal powers then I could see not allowing it.