Author Topic: Let's make the world's most versatile Cleric  (Read 2572 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Let's make the world's most versatile Cleric
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
I'm just playing around with builds but I'd like a Cleric who is incredibly versatile with his spells, such that he can generally cast almost any spell from any class list, should he choose to.

So far I've got:

Cloistered Cleric 5/Dweomerkeeper 10/Shadowcraft Mage 5

Required domains are Magic and Shadow. He uses the Domain Substitution spell to turn his Knowledge Domain into the Spell domain, so he's your standard Dweomercheater. That grants him a nice little mantle of spells that he can draw upon. He uses Shadowcraft Mage levels to emulate Evocation, Conjuration (Creation), and Conjuration (Summoning) Sor/Wiz spells.

He takes Customize Domain at first level, applying it to his Magic domain. This lets him select any spell of level-1 to fit each spell slot (Ie he could make Magic Missile his 2nd level spell choice, or Antimagic Field his 7th). Using this technique, he can get any spell but 9th level spells added to his list, should he choose. If he needs a different spell, he uses Supernatural Spell (Limited Wish) to get himself Psychic Reformation, where he picks all his spells again.

What other tricks can we apply to this character to get him casting more spells from other classes?

Incidentally, customize domain lets you pick ANY spell with the [Earth] descriptor for the Earth Domain, and same with the Air and Fire domains. Is there any way of getting every spell you cast to have the Earth or Air descriptor?

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
Re: Let's make the world's most versatile Cleric
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »
IDK if you thought of this, but Archivist can already cast any spell from any list(assuming they can find it in written form).

For clerics, you can take a level of prestige paladin and take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, giving you all wizard/sorcerer spells as spells known.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
IDK if you thought of this, but Archivist can already cast any spell from any list(assuming they can find it in written form).

Even arcane spells given the odd prestige classes or ACFs that allow you to pick any spell and add it to your list of spells known.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »

Even arcane spells given the odd prestige classes or ACFs that allow you to pick any spell and add it to your list of spells known.

yep. If all you want is spells known, archivist is the king as far as base classes go, though with the right PrCs, cleric, wizard or warmage might be better.
-B. M. Evilwizardington.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »

yep. If all you want is spells known, archivist is the king as far as base classes go, though with the right PrCs, cleric, wizard or warmage might be better.
Do not forget Beguiler and Dread Necromancer. Rainbow Servant is really good for those classes.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:57:57 PM »

Do not forget Beguiler and Dread Necromancer. Rainbow Servant is really good for those classes.

yeah. actually, i prefer either of those over warmage. i'm more into dread necromancer, since, you know, DMM. and undead kaboom.
-B. M. Evilwizardington.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
I agree that the Beguiler or Dreadnecro builds are pretty good.  Throw in the Eldrich Master from Dragon #280.  It does not progress spell casting, but it gets a bonus metamagic feat at level 3, a spell slot one level higher than you can currently cast at level 3, and gets to add another classes spell list to your own at level 4.  So a simple Beguiler 16 or Dreadnecro 16/ 4 Eldrich master lets you spontaneously cast any spells from your base list plus one other and access to 9th level spells.  It also adds into your effective caster level for purposes of spell duration, damage, and so on, just not SR.  It works great with the practiced spell caster feat.  

A cleric dweomerkeeper with arcane schooling and eldrich master would also be funny.  You can add the spell list to any other classes list, and the spells are cast as arcane spells.  So you can make your cleric both a divine and arcane casting class.  I have often wondered if you could play a Cleric 5/Eldrich Master 4/Mystic Theurge 7/Dweomerkeeper 4 advancing the cleric twice with Mystic Theurge (Final Caster level of 23, 27 effective, and you still have on supernatural spell a day).

I am currently running a Bard 4/ Marshall 1/ Eldrich Master 5/ Sublime Chord 1/Sacred Exorcist 2/Sublime Chord 6/ Eldrich Master 1.

Bard spells up to 3rd level due to first Eldrich Master bump (bard/Cleric Spell list)
Sublime Chord spells up to 10th due to Eldrich Master bump (Bard/Sorc/ Cleric spell list)

Plus you can pick up sublime chord spell slots from level 1-3 with the extra slot feat. Eldrichmaster also grants bonus spells known from levels 1 thorugh 5.

But yeah, an archivist with the ancestral relic feat is the best for spells.  Cast wall of salt, which is worth a ton of money according to the players handbook, and start praying at the alter to add scrolls to your ancestral relic book.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:15:37 PM by Widow »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:50:55 AM »
Arise!

Also, you could use the Spontaneous Cleric from UA (it's in the SRD, too...), and get to repick ALL your spells, as well as cast your domain spells spontaneously with no 1/day limit.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.