Author Topic: good ways to achieve flight (and by extention dive)  (Read 4513 times)

endgamecutter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: good ways to achieve flight (and by extention dive)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »
hurray for defying the fundamental laws of physics!...although that DOES require a high-ish swordsage level, which slaps my BAB/reduces health/causes more issues with multiclass...Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to build an acrobatic (or atleast highly mobile in 3 dimensions, depending on how often that 3rd dimension actually comes up in play) with comparable damage to what this jump attack can do? Because all these pre required feats and items and dips are getting really irritating,th roleplayer in me likes the flexibility of being able to do things WITHOUT being stuck using only one type of weapon with one race with more classes thanI have room to record, but I'd be annoyed by thoughts of "but this dragoon could have done so much more damage" if I gave up too much of the power. The main reason I went to pursue this route was because feral death leap can be overcome by a high fortitude save...plus theres no kill like overkill!...wish I knew how to make that a link.
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »
Speed boosts.  Remember that every 10 ft above 30 ft gives a +4 bonus on Jump checks.  A Haste spell gives you +12 on it.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 03:02:18 AM »
sudden leap can arguably let you double jump.

...what?
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »

...what?

Spend your swift to begin Jumping... continue your upward movement with your move action.

EDIT:  Only relevant if you can exceed your move speed with a jump check, really.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »

...what?

Spend your swift to begin Jumping... continue your upward movement with your move action.

EDIT:  Only relevant if you can exceed your move speed with a jump check, really.

Beating your movement speed is trivial.

can we continue this with our second move action?
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
Of course you can.

What happens if you have a Belt of Battle, a move speed of 40, and you need to go 80 feet this round and still attack something?

Spend your swift to gain a move from the Belt, then use your normal move to get where you want to go.  then attack.

Same thing here.

The issue is if beating your movement speed with a jump check is really trivial.  Doing a 40 foot high jump would require a Check of 200 (if you got a 20 foot running start or had the right feats/abilities, otherwise it's 400).  At level 20 we have 23 ranks, a modifier of at least +10, +4 more from our movement speed, +30 from the Halberd, +30 from a competence item, +10 bonus feet from leaping dragon stance...
That's a bonus of about +99 so far... On a natural 20 we get about 29 feet.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
Blade Dancer from OA is your friend.  From a base land speed of 30ft, it gives you a +54 bonus on jump checks (+30 competence, the rest is from speed) over 10 levels.  That's not counting the +2 synergy bonus from the ranks in Tumble you will have.  For every 10ft above 30ft your base speed is, it increases the Jump bonus by +8.  Oh, and skill mastery as well.

Yeah, it ruins your ability to use high-level manuvers, but it's the best way to get high Jump modifiers.  Your second-best option is to play a Thri-kreen with their 40ft base land speed and +30 racial bonus to Jump checks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:33:25 AM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
you could just jump from higher ground.

like off your mount.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 12:41:30 AM »
Attack Math  and Important Jump & Tumble Numbers are handy for dragoons.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:44:41 AM »
you could just jump from higher ground.

like off your mount a flying creature and/or carpet.
:D
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo