Author Topic: Translocation Anklet from prone position  (Read 8253 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Translocation Anklet from prone position
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »
From Pg 173 pf PHB
Teleportation is instantaneous travel through the Astral plane.

More fuel for the debate hehe.

But I guess in the end it all depend on DM both for positional orientation at the end of a teleport and for conservation of momentum.  I'm just one of those that goes... "hmm, the teleporter can bend space to appear elsewhere so surely he can bend it in a way that lands him on his feet instead of on his arse."

Of course.. then there is the possibility that in the "travel through the Astral Plane" one reorients so as to come out of the Astral plane in whatever orientation wanted within limits of physical space one is entering.  Actually, that may well actually might be a logical progression that would lead to rules actually allowing one to stand.  But certainly that is an interpretation and not explicit.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
Real wizards do not simply use teleportation to stand from prone.

Real wizards re-orient the plane to no longer make themselves prone relative to the plane.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »

Real wizards re-orient the plane to no longer make themselves prone relative to the plane.

which has the added advantage of rendering everyone else prone.  :lol
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 05:07:46 PM »

which has the

unfortunately, everyone else had retrained to shadowpouncers, and you gave them a perfect way to use stand.

crap.

not that it matters to the wizard, but still a potential issue.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
if momentum isn't conserved, couldn't you drive at train at something at 200mph, and then anticipate teleport + stand to come out of it completely unharmed?

No. Having a magic user on board would prevent a train from starting (or worse)

I see you have played arcanum as well, good for you.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »
if [teleportation] spells do not conserve momentum, my next campaign world is going to have travel by catapult. think secret of mana, but with a single use activation of stand on arrival.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
if [teleportation] spells do not conserve momentum, my next campaign world is going to have travel by catapult. think secret of mana, but with a single use activation of stand on arrival.

The range would be an issue, for the cost of the magic catapults need to make that practical you might as well use just use teleportation. Although ti would be a very fun way to travel. And you could do this normally with a single use item of feather fall.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
Is this thread what they call 'stand up comedy'?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »
Is this thread what they call 'stand up comedy'?
it has some people rolling on the floor laughing.

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »
This just came up in a game and I have not been able to find any clear rules on the matter yet.

In using the Anklet of Translocation (or other sort of Teleportation effect) can you move from a prone to a standing position in the process?

Does the spell or teleporation effect say that you can?

No.  (With the afore mentioned exception for the Stand spell)

So there you have it.  You can't.  By RAW.  Because if it's not written, then it's not RAW.   You know that's true Hallack  :P 

Even with RAI, you still can't because it's implicit that you arrive with the same orientation to the planet, which is why Greater Teleport doesn't drop you on your head when teleporting to the other side of the world.  The spell doesn't give you a choice about orientation.  It does it automatically.
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »
The spell Stand, specifically limits the teleportation effect as part of a 1st level Immediate Action cast spell.

As very specific spell with an explicit function it really has little to no bearing on other teleportation effects aside from showing the teleportation effect can be used to reorient.

Generally higher level spells of the same sort tend to have increasing functionality so it is certainly arguable and perhaps even reasonable to think that an even higher level teleportation effect could mimic the lesser effect as part of its function.

Terminal Position is not something even discussed in earlier teleporation spells as I recall.  This is probably because the broader function of choosing said position was assumed one way or the other.

What would be the function/purpose to limiting post teleportation positional orientation beyond adding a hassle (ussually tactical) that is going to affect players more than npcs?
Placeholder - T'tosc

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
I say the velocity stays. Otherwise I can't use vacuum cannons to destroy entire continents in games anymore.

Handy Links

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »
The spell Stand, specifically grants the teleportation effect as part of a 1st level Immediate Action cast spell.

Fixed that for you.
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
Well, if you could fly, why not teleport from the ground to the air where you'd be flying and prone isn't really a factor?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."