Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition  (Read 125151 times)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition
« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »
A 208: No, you can only ready a standard, move, or free action.  By the Rules Compendium, with your readied action you can also use a free action, swift, and immediate action as well as a 5 foot step so long as you have not moved this round.

Quote from: d20 srd
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action.
ah, thought I saw "full round" in there. guess not.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2010, 01:39:41 AM »
So basically you'd become more of what you already are. You'd be like a heightened version of that race.

You might even end up as a one-and-a-half-dragon

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #942 on: April 18, 2010, 02:25:48 AM »
So basically you'd become more of what you already are. You'd be like a heightened version of that race.

You might even end up as a one-and-a-half-dragon
Trippy.

Q 209 Is there a way around the archivist needing both INT and WIS? Like a feat?

Q 210 Is there a divine variant of Collegiate Wizard for the archivist to take so he gets more spells each level?

EDIT: Q 211 Is there a feat that you can take (or what feats can you take) that allow you to change directions while charging?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:45:52 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #943 on: April 18, 2010, 02:33:32 AM »
Got a player with a few alchemist arrows made, and we'll be battling a creature that's weak against fire. So, revise it so that it's like the 3.5 version, but maybe keep it 1d4 since the vial's smaller? Or keep it 1d6 regardless?

You could use dragonsbreath arrows from Races of the Wild instead.  Those only deal 1 point of fire damage, but the damage and save to avoid catching on fire are resolved immediately.  Also, they cost 50 gp for 20 instead of 75 gp for 1.  Note that a character that fails a save to avoid catching on fire takes 1d6 points of fire damage immediately. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #944 on: April 18, 2010, 02:35:18 AM »
Got a player with a few alchemist arrows made, and we'll be battling a creature that's weak against fire. So, revise it so that it's like the 3.5 version, but maybe keep it 1d4 since the vial's smaller? Or keep it 1d6 regardless?

You could use dragonsbreath arrows from Races of the Wild instead.  Those only deal 1 point of fire damage, but the damage and save to avoid catching on fire are resolved immediately.  Also, they cost 50 gp for 20 instead of 75 gp for 1.  Note that a character that fails a save to avoid catching on fire takes 1d6 points of fire damage immediately.
Cheaper for more, and do 1 damage instead of 1d4. That's not too bad. It's also immediate instead of waiting a round.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #945 on: April 18, 2010, 02:52:50 AM »

Q 209 Is there a way around the archivist needing both INT and WIS? Like a feat?

Q 210 Is there a divine variant of Collegiate Wizard for the archivist to take so he gets more spells each level?

EDIT: Q 211 Is there a feat that you can take (or what feats can you take) that allow you to change directions while charging?
A209: The Academic priest feat from legend of the twins.
A210: Not out side homebrew.
A211:There is a skill trick that lets you do that, also Psionic Charge
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:48:35 AM by Havok4 »

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #946 on: April 18, 2010, 02:54:58 AM »
Bump:

Q197  What faerunian planes would be good for a True Neutral Planar Shepard to choose as their favored plane?

True neutral means that you can choose any plane. I looked at this http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/World_Tree_cosmology; and there are many options.
One of the more interesting planes is the elemental plane of fire. It makes your fire spells hurt (free maximized+empowered), smoke seems to block vision (not for you or your companion); djinnis (wish) and devils are among the forms you can take...
Or, why not Dweomerheart: all spells are extended, enlarged, empowered; angels live there
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:05:55 AM by cru »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #947 on: April 18, 2010, 03:20:17 AM »
A209: The Academic priest feat from legend of the twins.
A210: Not out side homebrew.
A211:There is a skill trick that lets you do that, also Psionic Charge
That looks like what I'm needing. Also, that priest one seems like a good one for Favoured Soul.

That's what I was afraid you were going to say.

For some reason that didn't work too well. I don't know if I fixed that or not. But the feat requires Speed of Thought, just as he said it probably would, and he's got WIS 8, not 13. The skill trick I've suggested, but you can only use it once per encounter, or 10 rounds.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #948 on: April 18, 2010, 04:09:26 AM »
Q 200! :What ways are there to automatically confirm a crit?

Unless I'm mistaken, Vorpal is a melee-only weapon property. Anyways...

I'm sure you know, but to confirm a critical hit, your confirmation roll only needs to roll high enough to hit the foe's AC. Your dice roll result doesn't need to be within your crit threat range again on the second roll.

When you're using a Vorpal weapon, your crit range doesn't matter at all. You have to roll a natural 20, period. Then you roll to confirm the critcal hit, and your crit range doesn't matter then. You don't have to roll a 20 again to confirm.

How to almost guarantee a critical hit:

The 6th level Devoted Spirit Aura of Perfect Order stance allows you to treat any d20 result as an 11. If you know you will for sure hit if you roll an 11, when you threaten a critical, just use the stance's ability to confirm the critical.

Get stuff which amps up critical confirm rolls. That way if you ever threaten a critical hit, you will almost certainly get it. The 3rd level Stone Dragon Bonecrusher maneuver gives +10 to crit confirm rolls. Combine this with Aura of Perfect Order to automatically hit and threaten a critical hit, then get a +10 on the critical confirmation. If you roll a 2 on the critical confirmation, you automatically hit and thus confirm the crit (because its like rolling a 12, and using Aura of Perfect Order to guarantee an 11 result also hit), so that's a 95% chance to hit and confirm a crit if you have >12-20 threat range and know you will hit if you roll an 11 or better.

General Critical Hit Ramblings:

More chances to threaten a Vorpal hit and/or Critical threat:
Use Multiweapon fighting. Quad wield Kurkris with a Thri-Kreen (I'm sure there are better ones out there), for 13 attacks. 13/20 chance to roll a 20 each round. Combine this with a belt of Battle or other similar things. If you can buy off LA, Time Stand still works well. If you double the number of attacks, that's a 26/20 chance to roll a 20. If you have a crazy threat range, and just want a regular critical threat, the probability of getting a critical threat goes way up.

Critical threat range cheese:
Disciple of Dispater 8 (Book of Vile Darkness) triples threat ranges with iron or steel weapons, and is explicitly mentioned to stack with Improved Critical. So that's quadruple threat range. 18-20 is 3 numbers, that becomes 12 numbers, so 9-20 crit range.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #949 on: April 18, 2010, 04:19:46 AM »
Well, it's only on the random weapon generation table for melee weapons, but there's nothing in the actual text that disallows it for anything other than bludgeoning or piercing.  The enchantments that explicitly are allowed only for a certain subset (such as Brilliant Energy), are called out in the weapon ability text itself.

Plus, technically, arrows can be used as melee weapons anyway (they just require a separate proficiency).

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #950 on: April 18, 2010, 04:57:32 AM »
Combine it with Daggers, Palm Throw, Multi-WF/TWF, Time Stands Still, Island in Time, Belt of Battle. And Woodland Archery for SnG.

Or replace Palm Throw and Island in Time with multi-pouncing through Telflammar Shadow Lord and all the shenanigans for getting quick teleportation. (Swordsage for the obvious Shadow Blink. Ready that multiple times and go to town by spending your standard, move, and swift on the manuever. Stand (Wizard 1) spell as a cheesy alternative).

I think you'd have a good chance of get a natural 20 and confirming the vorpal hit in one round if you went all out with increasing number of attacks.

The Vorpal weapon description says the weapon in question is "a sword". Big "meh" there, though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:05:09 AM by Saxony »
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #951 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:21 AM »
Combine it with Daggers, Palm Throw, Multi-WF/TWF, Time Stands Still, Island in Time, Belt of Battle. And Woodland Archery for SnG.

Or replace Palm Throw and Island in Time with multi-pouncing through Telflammar Shadow Lord and all the shenanigans for getting quick teleportation. (Swordsage for the obvious Shadow Blink. Ready that multiple times and go to town by spending your standard, move, and swift on the manuever. Stand (Wizard 1) spell as a cheesy alternative).

I think you'd have a good chance of get a natural 20 and confirming the vorpal hit in one round if you went all out with increasing number of attacks.

The Vorpal weapon description says the weapon in question is "a sword". Big "meh" there, though.

I'm using chained telekinesis and Master of the Unseen Hand to get 21 iterative attacks at BAB = CL.  The problem is, the odds of rolling two twenties in a row is only about 20%, and that's not good enough.

Adding a contingent chained telekinesis for another 84 attacks only increases the odds to about 35% or so, which is still insufficient for my purposes.  I don't think I can fit in a quickened chained telekinesis, but even if I could it would only be about even odds.  And a hell of a lot of rolling.

Since this is for an arena game, I'm assuming that all the opponents have unbeatable ACs, and I was really hoping for a "you automatically confirm crits on a 19-20, regardless of whether a 19 would hit" type dealie.  Since that's pretty much equal to just doubling the number of attacks. 
Planetouched Handbook

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #952 on: April 18, 2010, 05:56:34 AM »

I'm using chained telekinesis and Master of the Unseen Hand to get 21 iterative attacks at BAB = CL.  The problem is, the odds of rolling two twenties in a row is only about 20%, and that's not good enough.

Adding a contingent chained telekinesis for another 84 attacks only increases the odds to about 35% or so, which is still insufficient for my purposes.  I don't think I can fit in a quickened chained telekinesis, but even if I could it would only be about even odds.  And a hell of a lot of rolling.

Since this is for an arena game, I'm assuming that all the opponents have unbeatable ACs, and I was really hoping for a "you automatically confirm crits on a 19-20, regardless of whether a 19 would hit" type dealie.  Since that's pretty much equal to just doubling the number of attacks. 

A 1/day item of Choose Destiny ought to help get that done.

(Choose Destiny is a level 9 Destiny Domain only spell from Races of Destiny 164. For 1 round/level, you roll twice for all skill checks, ability checks, saves, and attack rolls, and choose which roll to use. It's a swift action, too.)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #953 on: April 18, 2010, 06:22:31 AM »

(Choose Destiny is a level 9 Destiny Domain only spell from Races of Destiny 164. For 1 round/level, you roll twice for all skill checks, ability checks, saves, and attack rolls, and choose which roll to use. It's a swift action, too.)
That's really helpful.  That ups my odds with two attacks to 80%, or 90% with three attacks, even assuming that I spend five attacks on debuffs.
Planetouched Handbook

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #954 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:56 AM »

That's really helpful.  That ups my odds with two attacks to 80%, or 90% with three attacks, even assuming that I spend five attacks on debuffs.

If you're desperate to raise your chances further, an Amulet of Second Chances (MIC) can rewind the round, letting you try the attack again (assuming your DM doesn't decide you should use the same rolls, which is against RAW and logic). Once per day.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #955 on: April 18, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »
Q212: If you have Magic Immunity, in this case as a Demilich. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm Can you still benefit from your own spells while retaining immunity versus other people?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #956 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »
RAW, no.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #957 on: April 18, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »
Q212: If you have Magic Immunity, in this case as a Demilich. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm Can you still benefit from your own spells while retaining immunity versus other people?
Magic Immunity is likened to having "Unbeatable spell resistance" in the MM.  A creature's spell resistance never interferes with its own spells or spell-like abilities.

Now, the fuzzy ground comes in with the fact that a Demilich's immunity specifically includes any magical effect, including Supernatural abilities (which never allow SR).  I would say that they are perfectly able to affect themselves, however.  The Epic Level Handbook mentions them frequently using their Harm spell-like ability to heal themselves, clearly implying that they are able to cast spells on themselves without hinderance.

Bump!
Q207: If my caster level increases while I am casting a spell, does the spell use the new caster level or the previous caster level?

For example: a 15th level Cleric is casting a Summon Monster spell (1 round casting time) and has Consumptive Field up and no other caster level boosts.  A party member drops an enemy to -4 hp and the enemy fails its save against the Consumptive Field.  Does the Summon Monster spell last for 15 rounds or 16 rounds?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:18:18 AM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #958 on: April 18, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Magic Immunity is likened to having "Unbeatable spell resistance" in the MM.  A creature's spell resistance never interferes with its own spells or spell-like abilities.

Now, the fuzzy ground comes in with the fact that a Demilich's immunity specifically includes any magical effect, including Supernatural abilities (which never allow SR).  I would say that they are perfectly able to affect themselves, however.  The Epic Level Handbook mentions them frequently using their Harm spell-like ability to heal themselves, clearly implying that they are able to cast spells on themselves without hinderance.

Bump!
Q207: If my caster level increases while I am casting a spell, does the spell use the new caster level or the previous caster level?

For example: a 15th level Cleric is casting a Summon Monster spell (1 round casting time) and has Consumptive Field up and no other caster level boosts.  A party member drops an enemy to -4 hp and the enemy fails its save against the Consumptive Field.  Does the Summon Monster spell last for 15 rounds or 16 rounds?
Also keep in mind, every magic immunity entry I can think of also states it functions like infinite spell resistance, whereas the Demilich says all magic and supernatural abilities, and we know there are tons of spells that don't allow SR checks.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #959 on: April 18, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
Q213: Are there any +0 LA, 0 Racial HD races with Multiweapon fighting capabilities?