Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition  (Read 125158 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition
« Reply #800 on: April 15, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
Q 172 I think we're actually supposed to be higher than that by now, but whatever. NPC wealth. Is it universal regardless of class? Does a Ranger 6 have the same wealth as a Warrior 6 (5,600)? Does a Barbarian 9 have the same wealth as an Aristocrat 9 (12,000)? A Rogue 2 and an Expert 2? Etc, etc, etc.
A172
AFAIK, there is nothing to indicate otherwise.

Q173
Is there a thread anywhere (here or elsewhere) that discusses Magic Missile optimization?  I thought I saw something a while back, but now I can't find it.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #801 on: April 15, 2010, 01:20:23 AM »
Q173 Is there a thread anywhere (here or elsewhere) that discusses Magic Missile optimization?  I thought I saw something a while back, but now I can't find it.
If you take Force Missile Mage, it opens up a can of worms that makes you really fun in a fight. You even get to a point where the missiles penetrate the Shield spell. I know someone who's taken that. They may not do a lot of damage, but it definitely piles on. You get Spell Penetration and Planar Penetration, and your opponent's SR means nothing.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #802 on: April 15, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
Q168  Are there ways to minimize the risk of a negative outcome when using a Deck of Many Things?

Use summon spells and have your summoned creatures draw.

Or even better, the summon elemental reserve feat.
:lol
I can't believe I never thought of doing that!
 :lmao
my sides.... they hurt... :evillaugh
Yeah, but if they get something good, like 10,000 XP, you're out that. Unless you're CE and just wanted the entertainment of Artifact Russian Roulette. I guess you'd use prisoners for that though.

Who cares?  There's an unlimited number of cards to be drawn, and all the keeps, magic items, and fighters that you can handle is certainly good enough.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #803 on: April 15, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »
Q168  Are there ways to minimize the risk of a negative outcome when using a Deck of Many Things?

Yeah, but if they get something good, like 10,000 XP, you're out that. Unless you're CE and just wanted the entertainment of Artifact Russian Roulette. I guess you'd use prisoners for that though.
Who cares?  There's an unlimited number of cards to be drawn, and all the keeps, magic items, and fighters that you can handle is certainly good enough.
What version of that artifact are you reading? Mine says 22 cards, not unlimited.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #804 on: April 15, 2010, 01:33:27 AM »

What version of that artifact are you reading? Mine says 22 cards, not unlimited.

The version that tells you to put the cards back when you draw them (excepting a couple).

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #805 on: April 15, 2010, 01:37:18 AM »

but all the drawn cards get reshuffled back in to the deck (except for the jokers, of course).

edit: dammit, ninja'ed!

Q173 Is there a thread anywhere (here or elsewhere) that discusses Magic Missile optimization?  I thought I saw something a while back, but now I can't find it.
If you take Force Missile Mage, it opens up a can of worms that makes you really fun in a fight. You even get to a point where the missiles penetrate the Shield spell. I know someone who's taken that. They may not do a lot of damage, but it definitely piles on. You get Spell Penetration and Planar Penetration, and your opponent's SR means nothing.
Yeah, that's what got me thinking about this.  Aside from piling on the MM feats (energy admixture, maximize, empower, easy mm, arcane thesis, etc.), what else is there? (I'm thinking adding in Elemental Savant + elemental feat (e.g., flash frost, born of 3 thunders, etc.) -- but what else?).
If there's nothing out there, I can just start a new thread (I don't want to clog this one up). :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #806 on: April 15, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »
Fell drain and/or fell animate. After FMM 5, you can launch 7 missiles, just twin it with those feats, and go to town in town making your undead army.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #807 on: April 15, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »
You're better off being a Sorcerer to spam Magic Missile, since you get easy access to those juicy action abusers, and you don't need many spells known anyway. Also, Reserves of Strength to break the missile cap, and a bunch of CL increases to get your missile count high.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #808 on: April 15, 2010, 02:26:50 AM »
You're better off being a Sorcerer to spam Magic Missile, since you get easy access to those juicy action abusers, and you don't need many spells known anyway. Also, Reserves of Strength to break the missile cap, and a bunch of CL increases to get your missile count high.
That's from Dragonlance, right? You're going to be losing a couple of CL due to the PrC being a bugger in itself, and not giving you straight caster levels, but Practiced Spellcaster will do that too. Without draining you.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #809 on: April 15, 2010, 02:32:38 AM »
Q174: Spellfire and the Spellfire Wielder feat have come up from time to time. Where are they from and what do they do? The only thing I can find is this.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #810 on: April 15, 2010, 02:33:49 AM »
Q174: Spellfire and the Spellfire Wielder feat have come up from time to time. Where are they from and what do they do? The only thing I can find is this.
As far as I can recall, it's actually in the 3.0 book Magic of Faerun, and no there isn't a 3.5 update.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #811 on: April 15, 2010, 02:52:47 AM »
q175 Super simple question that I can't believe I'm asking. With enough cross-class ranks in UMD I can still activate wands/staffs and stuff, right?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #812 on: April 15, 2010, 02:54:12 AM »
q175 Super simple question that I can't believe I'm asking. With enough cross-class ranks in UMD I can still activate wands/staffs and stuff, right?
A175 Shouldn't be a problem there.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #813 on: April 15, 2010, 03:22:10 AM »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #814 on: April 15, 2010, 03:52:49 AM »
q177 I have Displacement (50%), in a mist (20%) and have partial cover from my mount (20%).

What needs rolled to hit me?

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #815 on: April 15, 2010, 04:11:42 AM »
Which incarnation? Evil Human Diplomancer, Vampire, or Time-Stopping God-Monk?

Grim Sage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #816 on: April 15, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »
q177 I have Displacement (50%), in a mist (20%) and have partial cover from my mount (20%).

a177 Assuming you're playing 3.5, cover doesn't grant a miss chance, just +4 AC and +2 reflex saves.
The concealment (from Displacement and the fog) doesn't stack with eachother* (you can't see someone even less than 'not at all' after all), so you'd end up with 50% miss chance, +4 AC and +2 reflex saves.

* While the concealment doesn't stack, the mist might eventually grant you full concealment depending on the type/spell used and distance from the target - making opponents unable to target you and making them guess the square you're in, something Displacement doesn't grant you.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #817 on: April 15, 2010, 07:39:19 AM »

a177 Assuming you're playing 3.5, cover doesn't grant a miss chance, just +4 AC and +2 reflex saves.
The concealment (from Displacement and the fog) doesn't stack with eachother* (you can't see someone even less than 'not at all' after all), so you'd end up with 50% miss chance, +4 AC and +2 reflex saves.

* While the concealment doesn't stack, the mist might eventually grant you full concealment depending on the type/spell used and distance from the target - making opponents unable to target you and making them guess the square you're in, something Displacement doesn't grant you.
I'm pretty sure Displacement doesn't actually grant you full concealment. The opponent can still see you, and the spell itself notes it's different from full concealment.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Grim Sage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #818 on: April 15, 2010, 07:41:28 AM »
Hence the comment that actually getting full concealment from the fog would be better than (and supercede the effects from) Displacement.
Sorry if it's unclear - I have a tendency to ramble  :P

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #819 on: April 15, 2010, 07:52:50 AM »
Hence the comment that actually getting full concealment from the fog would be better than (and supercede the effects from) Displacement.
Sorry if it's unclear - I have a tendency to ramble  :P
No, that was pretty clear. My point was that I think a case could be made for it not counting as concealment and therefore stacking with the actual concealment.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation