Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition  (Read 124795 times)

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition
« Reply #320 on: April 04, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
Q.65. Does the Unseelie Fey template's Summer Caress (Su) thwart Color Spray, i.e. mind-affecting effects?
Mind-affecting descriptor: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor
Unseelie Fey: http://img532.imageshack.us/g/dragoncompendium222unse.png/
A 65

Why should it? It's not affected by a regular Magic Circle/Protection, so it's not affected by Summer Caress. The Magic Circle and Protection lines do nothing to protect you from Mind-Affecting spells, they only thwart possession, which Color Spray didn't do last time I checked.

"...the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person)."

I call mind-affecting "exercising mental control over the creature", i.e. requiring a Will save. Possession is included.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:41:21 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #321 on: April 04, 2010, 07:44:01 PM »
Q.65. Does the Unseelie Fey template's Summer Caress (Su) thwart Color Spray, i.e. mind-affecting effects?
Mind-affecting descriptor: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor
A 65

Why should it? It's not affected by a regular Magic Circle/Protection, so it's not affected by Summer Caress. The Magic Circle and Protection lines do nothing to protect you from Mind-Affecting spells, they only thwart possession, which Color Spray didn't do last time I checked.

"...the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person)."

I call mind-affecting "exercising mental control over the creature", i.e. requiring a Will save. Possession is included.
I do not. Color Spray doesn't exert any control over anything any more than a punch in the face exerts control over anything; it just knocks people out.
On the RAI side, by your logic Protection from Evil protects from all mind-affecting effects. Effectively Mind Blank as a first level spell? Yeah, no.
EDIT: Also, illusions? Totally exercising mental control over me, since they're making me believe something that's not there is there, or vice versa. Bam, better True Seeing too, because you're such a good customer. All for the low, low price of a first-level spell.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:52:17 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #322 on: April 04, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
I do not. Color Spray doesn't exert any control over anything any more than a punch in the face exerts control over anything; it just knocks people out.
Had the same conversation with him. Made the same argument.

But the language is interesting.
to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person).
Implies that there are things other then enchantment affects (and possesions) that it blocks against.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
Bumping

Q 66
A64: No it is not, that was a WotC over sight in the Monstrous progressions. The "-1 AC & Attack" is a penalty all Large creatures get, and is cumlative with the -1 from having a lower DEX.
Okay so at lvl 5 in Savage Species when you go up in Ogre does it great down like this...?

Lvl 5 +1d8 +1 BAB +1 Fort 2+INT skills +1 CR Reach 10 ft, +2 STR, -2 DEX, Large size (+8 STR, -2 DEX*, +4 CON, -1 attack, -1 AC*, +2 nat armor)

*AC and DEX loss are the same minus

?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #324 on: April 04, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »
Please excuse the interruption. Pity my lack of self-control.
[spoiler]
A 65

On the RAI side, by your logic Protection from Evil protects from all mind-affecting effects. Effectively Mind Blank as a first level spell? Yeah, no.
EDIT: Also, illusions? Totally exercising mental control over me, since they're making me believe something that's not there is there, or vice versa. Bam, better True Seeing too, because you're such a good customer. All for the low, low price of a first-level spell.
I like this quote best:
"daggaz
06-07-2009, 11:26 PM
"Hey! Undead have immunity to mind-affecting effects, right? Isn't its sensory perception of me affecting its mind? It's immune to that right? So it can't see me?"

Yeah, I like this obvious logic to show the brokenness of the argument. Thanks."

re: reply below: that's the joke.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:23:47 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #325 on: April 04, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
Heck, if you're willing to get really silly (even sillier than saying Protection from X blocks all mind-affecting effects), a stinking normal attack like beating you with a stick can be argued to exercise control over your mind to a degree, since being attacked (and the resulting perception of danger) releases certain hormones in your brain, most notably adrenaline.

But the language is interesting.
to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person).
Implies that there are things other then enchantment affects (and possesions) that it blocks against.
I'm pretty sure there are, actually. There's one spell in Libris Mortis that uses a previously implanted tumor to control the target similar to Dominate Person. It's neither an Enchantment (it's Necromancy) nor possession, but it would still be blocked.

So basically, Protection is the new Iron Heart Surge/Freedom of Movement? :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:21:53 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: April 04, 2010, 08:23:37 PM »
Heck, if you're willing to get really silly (even sillier than saying Protection from X blocks all mind-affecting effects), a stinking normal attack like beating you with a stick can be argued to exercise control over your mind to a degree, since being attacked (and the resulting perception of danger) releases certain hormones in your brain, most notably adrenaline.
Or healling is mind effecting because it effects how much pain the mind is feeling.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
Bumping

Q 66
A64: No it is not, that was a WotC over sight in the Monstrous progressions. The "-1 AC & Attack" is a penalty all Large creatures get, and is cumlative with the -1 from having a lower DEX.
Okay so at lvl 5 in Savage Species when you go up in Ogre does it great down like this...?

Lvl 5 +1d8 +1 BAB +1 Fort 2+INT skills +1 CR Reach 10 ft, +2 STR, -2 DEX, Large size (+8 STR, -2 DEX*, +4 CON, -1 attack, -1 AC*, +2 nat armor)

?

No, you don't get the normal Size increasing bonus that is listed in the DMG. Sadly.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »
No, you don't get the normal Size increasing bonus that is listed in the DMG. Sadly.
So what happens? They just become large size and that's it? How exactly do you work this?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
Or healling is mind effecting because it effects how much pain the mind is feeling.
In fact, if you believe in the Theory of Causal Determinism, which essentially states that everything influences everything else, nothing ever can happen once Protection from X using this interpretation is cast because everything that happens would (eventually) influence the target's mind in one way or another, so the world pretty much just stops or ceases to exist. Good job breaking it.
I now kinda want to include a demiplane where this happened in a campaign setting, just for fun.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:43:00 PM by Agita »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #330 on: April 04, 2010, 08:52:18 PM »
Bumping

Q 66

All Large creatures have a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC.  This is regardless of Race.  Any Dex penalty is applied seperately
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
Bumping

Q 66

All Large creatures have a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC.  This is regardless of Race.  Any Dex penalty is applied seperately
So they get +1d8 HD +1 BAB +1 Fort 2+INT skills +1 CR Reach 10 ft, +2 STR, -2 DEX*, Large size (-1 attack, -1 AC*)?

So no additional STR, CON, and natural armor, or more lower DEX? That seems a little cheap.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #332 on: April 04, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
Bumping

Q 66

So they get +1d8 HD +1 BAB +1 Fort 2+INT skills +1 CR Reach 10 ft, +2 STR, -2 DEX*, Large size (-1 attack, -1 AC*)?

So no additional STR, CON, and natural armor, or more lower DEX? That seems a little cheap.
I believe they do get the additional changes from going up in size, since the Ogre race gets +10 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con.  Make of that what you will.  I was simply pointing out your error by assuming the -1 AC was from the Dex penalty.  It isn't.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:43 PM »
I believe they do get the additional changes from going up in size, since the Ogre race gets +10 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con.  Make of that what you will.  I was simply pointing out your error by assuming the -1 AC was from the Dex penalty.  It isn't.
How am I wrong? The Ogre gets those stats, and they are Large size. Large size gives you +8 STR, -2 DEX, +4 CON, -1 attack, and -1 AC. So they get -1 AC AND -2 DEX making it -2 AC?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »
How am I wrong? The Ogre gets those stats, and they are Large size. Large size gives you +8 STR, -2 DEX, +4 CON, -1 attack, and -1 AC. So they get -1 AC AND -2 DEX making it -2 AC?
Yes
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
The -1 Attack/AC is inherent in Large size as are the +4 bonus on Grapple checks and the -4 penalty on Hide checks.  Ability scores are completely seperate from this.  So yes, it would be -2 AC total.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »
Are there ways to increase the number of bardic music attempts a character has without taking more levels of bard or a bardic PrC?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »
The -1 Attack/AC is inherent in Large size as are the +4 bonus on Grapple checks and the -4 penalty on Hide checks.  Ability scores are completely seperate from this.  So yes, it would be -2 AC total.
So basically that level reads as if the ogre got a permanent Enlarge Person spell placed on them.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #338 on: April 04, 2010, 09:50:31 PM »
So basically that level reads as if the ogre got a permanent Enlarge Person spell placed on them.

Correct!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: April 04, 2010, 09:51:31 PM »
I believe they do get the additional changes from going up in size, since the Ogre race gets +10 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con.  Make of that what you will.  I was simply pointing out your error by assuming the -1 AC was from the Dex penalty.  It isn't.
The -1 Attack/AC is inherent in Large size as are the +4 bonus on Grapple checks and the -4 penalty on Hide checks.  Ability scores are completely seperate from this.  So yes, it would be -2 AC total.

Correct!
Okay. Then that I can handle.

67 I don't remember seeing it, but does Wildshape give the Druid the shapechanger subtype for the purpose of getting around Baleful Polymorph?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:53:28 PM by kevin_video »