Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition  (Read 124802 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition
« Reply #280 on: April 03, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
Q 56 If someone with 40 movement wears light armor, do they still have 40 movment? What about medium? Is it down 10 to 30, or a straight 20?
light armor doesn't impede movement unless the movement is granted by an ability that says light armor impedes movement.
What about the medium and heavy armor?
Medium drops you to 30 ft.  I think Heavy would be the same, but don't recall.  I think you can gain insight into this from Oriental Adventures.  The Nezumi rat people in that book have a racial base 40 ft speed, and I think some of the charts address it.

Again, all this presumes that you aren't relying on a class feature that turns off in Med/Heavy armor (such as a Barbarian).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: April 04, 2010, 03:03:33 AM »
Q58  Where can I find the Shadow Plane squirrel monsters?  I know I've seen them before.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: April 04, 2010, 03:17:49 AM »
Q 56 If someone with 40 movement wears light armor, do they still have 40 movment? What about medium? Is it down 10 to 30, or a straight 20?
light armor doesn't impede movement unless the movement is granted by an ability that says light armor impedes movement.
Medium drops you to 30 ft.  I think Heavy would be the same, but don't recall.  I think you can gain insight into this from Oriental Adventures.  The Nezumi rat people in that book have a racial base 40 ft speed, and I think some of the charts address it.

Again, all this presumes that you aren't relying on a class feature that turns off in Med/Heavy armor (such as a Barbarian).
Also, reference barding speed tables for base speeds of 40, 50, and 60. It's actually formula based.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: April 04, 2010, 03:18:32 AM »

Also, reference barding speed tables for base speeds of 40, 50, and 60. It's actually formula based.
Can't say I've seen those particular tables.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: April 04, 2010, 03:22:49 AM »

Can't say I've seen those particular tables.
Player's Handbook, items section, mounts and mount gear description stuff, where it talks about barding and costs.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #285 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:35 AM »
My Tashalatora PsiWar will likely soon be using Metamorphosis to turn into a
Will-O'-Wisp, so.....

Q59a Do I gain the +9 deflection bonus to AC?

Q59b Can I still make the 2d8 electric touch attack?

Q59c Natural Invisibility seems directly tied to the form as part of the "physical qualities" (paragraph five); any chance of that overriding the "no special qualities ever" (paragraph three)?

Q59d Any special interaction with Unarmed Strike, or does it just work as normal with the new size?  I'd love that electric damage to offset the size and strength, but I have a feeling that's not possible.

Q59e Are there any better high-AC forms of 12 HD or less to metamorph into?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:51 AM »
A 56: This is the closest I could find regarding higher base speeds and encumbrance...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm (scroll to the bottom)

I remember reading somewhere that this pretty much applied to your armor type as well, but I can't find the reference at the moment.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2010, 04:55:04 AM »
A 56: This is the closest I could find regarding higher base speeds and encumbrance...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm (scroll to the bottom)

I remember reading somewhere that this pretty much applied to your armor type as well, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

it just seems to be reduced by 1/3 and then rounded...

100/3 = 33.3 rounded to 30 so
100-30 = 70

so 40 ft reduces to 30 ft

On the note about armor I beleve the rule is you just apply the worse of encumberence or armor

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
A 59: see http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3479.0
a) I think deflection bonuses are typically Su, so you don't gain it
b) I would say yes
c) the natural invisibility is Ex, but metamorphosis only gives you attack related Ex
d) not sure
e) http://www.imarvintpa.com/DnDLive/FindMonster.php, enter max hd 12, and whatever you want your minimum AC to be
Here's a few for HD<12, AC>25
Beholder, Dragon Turtle, Legendary Eagle, Golden Protector (Lammasu)
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »
Q58  Where can I find the Shadow Plane squirrel monsters?  I know I've seen them before.
A58: Squirrid, MM4

The 5th-ish level adventure "The Standing Stone" also had squirrel-like monsters called Hobbiyas.

You could also apply the Shadow Creature template to the Ratatosk monstrous humanoids from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits  :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:46:23 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
Q60A: Is there any feat that allows for mounted casting? If not, is there any game mechanic that allows it?

Q60b: Is there any way for a Deep Dwarf to negate dazzle from daylight? Be it by spell, item or otherwise.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
Q60A: Is there any feat that allows for mounted casting? If not, is there any game mechanic that allows it?
you just have to make a concentration check; look under concentration in the PHB.
Q60b: Is there any way for a Deep Dwarf to negate dazzle from daylight? Be it by spell, item or otherwise.
sundark goggles from races of the dragon; basically, shades.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »
you just have to make a concentration check; look under concentration in the PHB.
sundark goggles from races of the dragon; basically, shades.

Cool man, thanks :P
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2010, 01:10:27 PM »
Feat: Daylight Adaptation from Underdark, and Races of Eberron. You can take that early and then retrain it later if you want (after you get the shades).

Q 61 Where can I find rules on drinking alcohol, and taking stat damage for failing throws?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:25:19 PM by kevin_video »

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
Feat: Daylight Adaptation from Underdark, and Races of Eberron. You can take that early and then retrain it later if you want (after you get the shades).

Q 61 Where can I find rules on drinking alcohol, and taking stat damage for failing throws?
The local bar.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

malaspina

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Braaaaaains
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Q 62: Is there a Dragon-themed prestige class that grants full arcane spellcasting progression (and doesn't make you pay for that by sucking in some other way)?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: April 04, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »

The local bar.
I'm laughing on the inside. :eh

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #297 on: April 04, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »

The local bar.

I was laughing on the outside  :D

A61:  Arms and Equipment guide has a couple of entries for alcohol, including ones listed in that book.  There's a subheading on pg 32 that probably has what you are looking for.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #298 on: April 04, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »

The local bar.

A61:  Arms and Equipment guide has a couple of entries for alcohol, including ones listed in that book.  There's a subheading on pg 32 that probably has what you are looking for.
I think that there might also be something in BoVD in the poisons section (but don't hold me to it)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #299 on: April 04, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

The local bar.

Indeed.  Each type of alcohol has a certain Fort save DC ranging from 10-15.  When you fail the save you take 1d2 points of Dex and 1d2 points of Wis damage.  A second drink in an hour imposes a -1 penalty on the save for your second drink.  A third drink in an hour imposes a -2 for that save; a fourth gets a -4, and it keeps doubling thereafter.

If you reach 0 Wisdom, you fall unconscious; if you reach 0 Dex, you collapse in a semi-conscious heap.  If you reach both 0 Dex and 0 Wis, then you suffer alcohol poisoning, and must make a Fort or Con save/check every 10 minutes (I forget which) or take Con damage.  Without treatment, you will eventually die when you reach 0 Constitution.