Author Topic: Best construct?  (Read 2028 times)

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Best construct?
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
I need to make a wizard for a single player campaign, for which I have found a PrC* that will allow me to lower the creation cost of one specific type of magic item, such as a wand of magic missile, rings of protection ect., by 30%, and I want to use this massive discount to craft myself an army of BSF constructs. But which ones? I need to choose one specific kind that will serve me well from 10th on, and scale well enough in power to continue to be able to tank near-epic opponents.

I like stone golems, but they become available a little late for my taste, so I need your help. What is the best construct you know of? All official WotC non-campaign specific books are allowed, as well as all books specific to the DragonLance setting. Bonus points will be scored if the construct in question can be constructed from level 6 and on, as that will allow me to have it from the beginning of the game.

* Spell Broker from Towers of High Sorcery
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:48:23 PM by E-mail »

Thaosyr23

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • aquaman, best superhero ever?
    • Email
Re: Best construct?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
Calzone golems, set them on fire, goto town.

brass are pretty cheap if i recall correctly, got to use the 3.5 update though.

There should be a mecronomicon around here somewhere, or over on wiz.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »
I'd start with reading this: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870786/Mechonomicon

The Scouring Stanchion (MM5) and it's brothers are VERY powerful, and nearly indestructible, given the right buffs (boost it's CHA). Being a War Weaver and buffing you little army would be a nice bonus. I'd make one/all an Elder Eidolon (LoM) somehow, if I knew how.

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
Also look at the Guardian Familiars from Complete Warrior.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
Don't know how doable this is at level 10 and on but Blackstone Gigants from Fiend Folio have long been a favorite of mine. 32HD, 4 slams, each delivering a SoD, perfect flight, intelligence... and animate objects at will!

But I think that's too high level. Check out here for a great list.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
Don't know how doable this is at level 10 and on but Blackstone Gigants from Fiend Folio have long been a favorite of mine. 32HD, 4 slams, each delivering a SoD, perfect flight, intelligence... and animate objects at will!

But I think that's too high level. Check out here for a great list.
Does anyone know if Snizor is still active? Throne Guardian would make a nice addition to that list, even if it is extremely expensive.

Back on topic, if you think that 30% off is a good discount you clearly haven't read our pricing handbook.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:09:26 PM »
I perosnally like the Dragonbone Golems since they cannot be brought down directly with magic (summons basically have to do it) from Draconomicon.  Better are the Drakesteel Golems for their ease of healing.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Helmed Horrors and Battle Horrors personally.  Relatively cheap to craft for their comparative power, flexible abilities, and quite solid tanks.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
Too bad you can't make an adamantine horror(MM2)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 05:53:36 PM »
A pity Dedicated Wrights are from ECS. Those would greatly speed up construction of said army.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 06:07:20 PM »
Honestly I do not see how this works.  creating one specific item with a 30% discount is a very weak class feature.  Its usefulness does not scale with character level.
Constructs are not very good.  A decent construct a level X is mostly useless at level x+2.  And they cost a huge amount of gold.  I have never seen a construct that you can make at level X and can tank at level X+3.

So I am a downer.  However, without seeing the PrC, perhaps nanobots might help.  Animate objects is available at 11th, Craft staff at 12th.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
Too bad you can't make astral constructs permanent.

Of course, if you were a shaper/constructor, you wouldn't have to.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]