Author Topic: Flavor Optimization?  (Read 2198 times)

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Flavor Optimization?
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:22:49 AM »
I'm currently playing in a Gestalt-from-level-1 game that'll be going through some pre-published modules (including RHoD - please, no spoilers), and am working up some lists of stuff to present to the DM as I make my leveling choices. Currently, I'm a Spellscale Spellsinger (Kingdoms of Kalamar variant class)//Bard, with:

Str 9
Dex 18
Con 12
Int 17
Wis 13
Cha 20

No flaws or traits, so I was stuck with a single feat - for which I picked up Extra Music, which may or may not be retrained later.

Now, flavor-wise, I want to select spells that go with the whole theme I have going with this character - basically, power in song, though with Spellsinger's class feature (no somatic components ever, but shut down hard by a silence effect as all spells now have a Verbal component whether they originally needed one or not), pretty much every spell qualifies as that - but I'd like to pick up feats and spells that are musical in nature.

So far, I've considered Versatile Performer (CAdv), Lyric Spell (CAdv), Dragonfire Inspiration (RotD) and Melodic Casting (CMage), but as I've never really played a Bard, much less a character flavored in this way, I'm at a loss for what spells and feats are out there that'll support the concept while remaining strong mechanically. I'd really like to focus on both Battlefield Control and Boosting my allies, but don't know if that'll work too well.

Any book is open pretty much, so long as it's 3.5 material.

Builds being considered:
Spellsinger 20//Bard 7/Battle Dancer 1/Marshal 2/Sublime Chord 10
Spellsinger 20//Bard 10/Sublime Chord 10
And... others, just none that are beyond considerations or worked out into so much as stubs at this point.

Variants in Effect:
Partial BAB & Saves
Spellsinger Class
Gestalt

So... suggestions for feats/spells/build tips for this character?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:11:21 AM by RelentlessImp »
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Flavor Optimization?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:52:37 AM »
Feats you could go for is Words of Creation from Book of Exalted deeds. Doubles the strength of your base Inspire Courage score. Requires you to be exalted though. You can also pick up the spell Inspirational Boost from Complete Adventurer. As a swift action add +1 to your Inspire Courage. Alternatively you could grab the Badge of Valor from the Magic Item Compendium which does the same thing, but both use a swift action to activate so you'll have to work around that.

You could also grab the Metamagic Song feat that is much like Divine Metamagic except you use Bardic Music to power it.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »
Feats you could go for is Words of Creation from Book of Exalted deeds. Doubles the strength of your base Inspire Courage score. Requires you to be exalted though. You can also pick up the spell Inspirational Boost from Complete Adventurer. As a swift action add +1 to your Inspire Courage. Alternatively you could grab the Badge of Valor from the Magic Item Compendium which does the same thing, but both use a swift action to activate so you'll have to work around that.

You could also grab the Metamagic Song feat that is much like Divine Metamagic except you use Bardic Music to power it.

Words of Creation isn't an option; forgot to mention the character is Chaotic Neutral. So unless he shapes up personality-wise in a manner I didn't foresee, Exalted feats are out. Inspirational Boost and Badge of Valor are good ideas, especially if I pick up Dragonfire Inspiration - the party's a little melee-heavy (Paladin//Cloistered Cleric, Barbarian//Ranger, Psion//Rogue) so anything to boost them harder, better, faster and longer would probably be a good idea. (Also, pretty sure, the way it reads, Badge of Valor can be activated after Bardic Music starts... will need to discuss with DM.)

I kept meaning to find Metamagic Song but it kept slipping my mind; thanks for reminding me of it, it's now on the list, along with the rest.

Any optimal build tips, such as how to divide the levels/what to dip/etc to increase my booster role? I think I've got a fairly decent handle on how to take care of the BFC role (though grease was useless on a swarm, apparently -.-), but aside from Bardic Music/Inspire Courage boosting for Dragonfire Inspiration, not sure where to go.
Solo on Essentials

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »
Could you tell us what class features the Spellsinger has, and what is it's spell-list? Is it spontaneous or prepared? What is it's BAB?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »
Could you tell us what class features the Spellsinger has, and what is it's spell-list? Is it spontaneous or prepared? What is it's BAB?

EDIT: Wow, that... made very little sense.
Class Features:
Summon Familiar - As Wiz/Sorc.
Spellsing - Ignores non-costly material components, no somatic components on spells, all spells now have a requisite Verbal component that can't be bypassed.
BAB: Low (1/2)
Saves: Good Will, Port For & Ref
Spellcasting: Spontaneous, Spells per Day as Wizards, Spell Progression as Sorcerer with caveat - gains access to new spell levels on odd levels (3, 5, 7) as a Wizard but only if it has a high enough Charisma to have bonus spells of that spell level, otherwise gains access to new spell levels on even levels. Goes up to 9th level spells. Casts "the same spells as Sorcerers" (Sor/Wiz with Sorcerer-only spells).

Also, there doesn't seem to be anything against it, and NiteCyper posts links all the time, so...

Spellsinger Page 1
Spellsinger Page 2
In case I didn't clear it up enough.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:09:13 AM by RelentlessImp »
Solo on Essentials

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »
That would help, yes. From what you say it doesn't sound very worthwhile, though. How is it better than a Kobold Sorcerer with +1 Spellcasting from the Rite? Well, at least it can cast in a Grapple...

If you could somehow get auto-silent on all it's spells, that would be a very nice Stealthy caster. Could also cast while in Gaseous Form and similar effects.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »
That would help, yes. From what you say it doesn't sound very worthwhile, though. How is it better than a Kobold Sorcerer with +1 Spellcasting from the Rite? Well, at least it can cast in a Grapple...

If you could somehow get auto-silent on all it's spells, that would be a very nice Stealthy caster. Could also cast while in Gaseous Form and similar effects.

It's not. However, I can't roleplay kobolds. Every time I try it just winds up being a really bad, bad experience for all involved - so I can't take advantage of kobold shenanigans in any games with more than small amounts of emphasis on roleplay. I can, however, roleplay a Spellscale. I thought it made for an interesting character - mixing a primary spellcasting class and a support class that both rely on music to do their jobs. Not to mention the character came to me the moment I laid eyes on the class. >.> <.<

I tend to self-nerf; hence why I'm seeking a little help making this a little more effective than it would be otherwise.
Solo on Essentials

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »
The Power Word spells from Races of the Dragon sound right up your alley.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »
I've found a use for this class, and a flavourful one, to boot! I'm really hoping for you your DM lets you use Board Based Classes...

May I present: The Gemini Dancer!

It's "Home-brew", sure, but not only is balanced, it won the old WotC board's "Best Homebrew" award out of thousands in existence, it's balanced (and was made so by some of the finest Rules-Savvy people of the time, including the CO Boards of 339!).

Why you'd like it?
1 - It's CHA focused to an extreme, and fills your "combat" hole.
2 - It's "Gemini Dance" ability is VERY good, but doesn't allow you to cast spells with Somatic Components - it's as though those 2 classes were made for each other!

I'd go for Gemini Dancer 20 // Spellsinger 20, unless of course you'll want a PrC, in which case, I might go for:
Gemini Dancer 16 / Spellsinger 4 // Spellsinger 10 / Swiftblade 10
OR even
Gemini Dancer 13 / Spellsinger 7 // Spellsinger 7 / Arcane Duelist 3 / Swiftblade 10.

Seriously, it's a PERFECT fit, and very fun to play!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
You're using kingdoms of kalamar material?

Pick up turning, the positive energy channeling feat, and the ability to give your cha bonus to a 20' circle of allies for SAVE AND SKILLS for 10 minutes
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:46:09 PM »
You're using kingdoms of kalamar material?

Pick up turning, the positive energy channeling feat, and the ability to give your cha bonus to a 20' circle of allies for SAVE AND SKILLS for 10 minutes

Not quite Kingdoms of Kalamar material, just the Spellsinger class.

On Gemini Dancer; the character's already made and in play, so replacing Bard with Gemini Dancer isn't quite going to work at this point.

On Power Word spells; Those work, thank you for reminding me of them.
Solo on Essentials