Author Topic: Dragon Snack Games - an update  (Read 1723 times)

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
Dragon Snack Games - an update
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:16:30 AM »
So yeah, I totally missed this, since I'm kind of busy running a game store.  I figured why bump an old thread to revive an off topic conversation (and others may want to know as well)...

Oh, how's the store going by the way? I honestly don't remember you saying much about it except for when you opened it up.
It's going decent, but it's tough.  November and December, supposedly the panacea of retail, stunk up the joint - bad enough that I almost closed the store (there were days - note the plural - that I only had $20 in sales - not profit, sales).  Then January and February were my 2 best months ever - when a new Magic set releases, I have a good month.  Worldwake pre-release was the last weekend of January, then released the first weekend of February.  Even if the set ends up selling crappy (*looks at WorldWake*), the release is usually pretty good (Zendikar was a little shaky, even though it sold like hotcakes everywhere else).  Everyone wants the new shiny...

4E only sells at 20% off (even then it's sales are nothing to write home about) and board games also rarely sell.  The used DVDs and Video Games I have sell in waves, but things have gotten better since one of the 2 video game stores a couple of towns over went out of business (apparently they had quite the price war).  Nobody around here wants to paint metal minis and as soon as I got traction on DDM and SWM, WotC killed the lines (although DDM is coming back in yet another format).  So yeah, riding the Magic wave when I can and trying my best to build up other lines.

The average game store lasts 18 months, I'm at 13/14 months and counting (my soft open was the last week of January, Grand Open on February 16th).  Barring a complete meltdown, I won't lower the curve.  While I'm not hemorrhaging money now, I'm still not at the "making money" stage yet.  The only ones making money on my store are WotC, Alliance, and the tax man - I'm basically working for free...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Dragon Snack Games - an update
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
Damn.  Let me get my shit together again and recover from being fired and Ill order some stuff ^_^

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »
DragonSnack your ebay store shows up empty. If you can get some sort of online catalog i would likely be willing to send some $$ your way. At the very least you would get the first look for anything you carry i may want.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
Bhu, don't worry, I totally understand your situation.  Well, as much as I can understand coworkers trying to poison you and then forcing you to physically defend yourself...

My eBay store has been pretty empty for a while.  The original plan was to sell a lot on eBay, but between eBay's fees and the cut-throat nature of the internet I found it was better to focus more on the actual storefront.  As bhu can attest, just email me what you're looking for and I'll try to find it if I don't already have it.

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:43:03 AM »
Yup.  He has been mighty resourceful ^_^

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
If you were in my part of Maryland I'd be there almost everyday. Also why is yugioh so popular here? Anyway, best of luck.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
Any chance you can get teh Squirrel Attack games?

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
I'll try, it seems to be out at ACD and not even showing up at Alliance...

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 03:25:43 AM »
An update - June limped over the finish line to set another Best Month In Business (just edging out February)!

However, I'm nowhere near where my Business Plan expected me to be, which means I'm sitting here a year and a half later and I would still be better off working for someone else...

And since my last BMIB was February, the last few months have been rather sparse - and they included a Magic release.

But at least I'm not hemorrhaging money, I even made almost $3/hour this month!  :eh

Still looking for Squirrel Attack...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:49:59 PM »
Ouch...sorry man.  I'd love to order more but I'm still hunting money myself.

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:24:55 AM »
I'm happy to say that July blew away June as my BMIB.  However, keep in mind a Magic pre-release/release and 5 weekends helped juice the numbers.  Can't complain that much, but I also had a lot of extra bills (insurance, new AC unit) hit last month and suck up some of the "extra" money I should have had...

This month has been a lot slower, but yesterday came out of nowhere to boost my numbers halfway through the month.  We're almost getting back to the point that Friday (and Friday Night Magic) is making up half of my sales, which worries me more than the drop in sales in a non-Magic release month (it's not that the rest of the week is dead, it's that people use the play space without buying stuff).

STILL looking for Squirrel Attack...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:15:46 AM »
Thanks DS.  Once I get paid I'll be trying to order some Arkham Horror expansions off you