Author Topic: Pathfinder Archer revisited  (Read 2752 times)

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Pathfinder Archer revisited
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »

[spoiler]Ok im working on a archer build based on the Updated Pathfinder Arcane Archer. You can find it listed here...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/arcane-archer

Basicly they gain 7/10 casting and while casting isnt so much an issue it really makes the class nice. You add in the Imbue arrow and Enhanced Arrows and you have a pretty solid class. Now I want to break it in half!

We are using all of the Pathfinder rules exept for spells. They are staying 3.5

Here is the build I have so far.

Pathfinder Material
Ranger/Wizard Arcane Archer/Race - Elf

I plan on making the following Item... Persitant Polymorph 1/day = Command Word 1/day = (10 X 21 X 1800)/5 = 75,600 GP
Otherworldly Elf  Ranger 4/Wizard 2/Deepwood Sniper 4/Arcane Archer 10

Class breakdown:

(1) Ranger  1st Favored Enemy, Track, wild empathy
(2) Ranger  Combat style feat = Far shot
(3) Ranger  Endurance, 1st Favored Terrain
(4) Ranger  Hunter's Bond
(5) Wizard  Arcane bond, arcane school, cantrips, Scribe Scroll
(6) Wizard
(7) DS         Keen Arrows, Range increment bonus +10ft/lvl
(8) AA         Enhance arrows (magic)
(9) AA         Imbue arrow
(10) AA       Enhance arrows (elemental)
(11) AA       Seeker arrow
(12) AA       Enhance arrows (distance)
(13) AA       Phase arrow
(14) AA       Enhance arrows (elemental burst)
(15) AA       Hail of arrows
(16) AA       Enhance arrows (aligned)
(17) AA       Arrow of death
(18) DS       Concealment Red 10%, magic weapon, proj imp crit +1
(19) DS       Safe Poison use
(20) DS       Take aim +2

Class Feats ( In Pathfinder you gain a feat every other lvl)

(1) Ranger 1 Point Blank Shot, Otherworldly(flaw), Rapid Shot(flaw)
(2) Ranger 2 Farshot(class),
(3) Ranger 3 Weapon Focus (Longbow)
(4) Ranger 4 Precise Shot
(5) Wizard 1 Scribe Scroll(class)
(6) Wizard 2 ?
(7) DS 1
(8) AA 1         Manyshot
(9) AA 2
(10) AA 3       Improved Rapid shot
(11) AA 4
(12) AA 5       Improved Precise shot
(13) AA 6
(14) AA 7       Woodland Archer
(15) AA 8
(16) AA 9       ?
(17) AA 10     
(18) DS 2       ?
(19) DS 3   
(20) DS 4       ?

Ok so with that item I can use persistant polymorph to turn into a Arrow Demon. That gives me basicly 2 attacks for each one.
With base attack 4 attacks + Rapid Shot + Haste = 6 attacks.
While a Arrow Demon that makes 12 Attacks. If he is weilding 2 longbows with the splitting enchantment that gives us 24 attacks... all with lots of bonus dmg from the Arcane Archer Embue ability. If I can throw in Assassin Senses Im criting on a 17-20 for X5 dmg.

My math might be off some, but how can I improve on this build. Is there a better class to go other then Deepwood sniper. Any help is apreciated. Thanks in advance[/spoiler]

Ok so I posted the above build before asking for any hints. Originally we where going to use 3.5 spells but now the DM has decided to use Pathfinder rules for Spellcasting. OK not a huge issue, but they nerfed the crap out of all versions of Poly/Shapechange. 

I still need a way to use Arrow Demon... Anyone got any Ideas how I can still use that form and gain his Ex abilities. If its not been redone in Pathfinder we use the 3.5 version. This might be my loophole as long as its not too cheesy. Im stuck on the Arcane Archer part of my build but anything else is up for change. Thanks in advance.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Pathfinder Archer revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
Well, you could spend a feat to get EWP: Greatbow, which deals 1d10 damage rather than 1d8, and then take 1-2 levels of Exotic Weapon Master for close-quarters shot and ranged disarm.  4th level in Darkwood Sniper is pretty poor anyhow.

You might also consider a CL and BAB advancing prestige class like Abjurant Champion (Complete Mage?) or Dragonslayer (Draconomicon). 

Since Sniper gives you poison use, you should also be poisoning your arrows, using your wizard casting to fabricate or minor creation poisons for yourself.  I've got more suggestions on that in my handbook below. 

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
WOW ... PF Arcane Archer is Awesome .... try this:

Wood Elf or Star Elf

Ranger 6/ Bard 4/ Sublime Chord 2/ Arcane Archer 8

BAB +18
9th lvl Spells

:D

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
WOW ... PF Arcane Archer is Awesome .... try this:

Wood Elf or Star Elf

Ranger 6/ Bard 4/ Sublime Chord 2/ Arcane Archer 8

BAB +18
9th lvl Spells

Severe MAD, though... Dex, Con, (Wis), Cha....

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »
actually that build can do easily on a 14 Con, 11 Wis .... since they are not needed too much ...

the Main focus would be on Dex and Cha .... especially is you used Snowflake Wardance+ Slippers of Battledancing

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »
Actually unless Ive missed something that would only give me 8th lvl spells... Arcane Archer is a 7/10 casting class. You loose a caster level at 1st, 5th and 9th.

How would I start Sublime Chord with 4 lvls of bard. I took a look and it requires 3rd lvl spell casting. If there is a way let me know. That build would rock the socks off anything I had looked at... and it gets alot of bard goodies to boot.

I was thinking of asking the DM to lower the BAB requirement to +5 like most Gish type prestige classes... or see if he would allow the Alternate class Battle Sorcerer. O I forgot to mention that this will be a Savage Campain... all tribal and such. Not a low magic but possibly a low magic Item game. Which makes my Arrows being +10 weapons even better.

Ranger 3/Bard 4/Sublime Chord 3/Arcane Archer 10 would be a badass combo if it works... Im just not sure how you came about meeting the requirements of Sublime Chord.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
sorry about the 9th lvl spl part ... you are correct .. it only gets 8th lvl Spells

as to the question: How to get 3rd lvl Spells? .... like this:

Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell = use 2@ 2nd lvl Spells to cast a 3rd lvl Spell (Heightend 2nd lvl Spell ... since you dont Know any other 3rd lvl Spells yet)

Versatile Spellcaster
Type: General
Source: Races of the Dragon
You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher.
Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast spells.
Benefit: You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example, a sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows.

Heighten Spell
Type: Metamagic
Source: Player's Handbook v.3.5
You can cast a spell as if it were higher level than it actually is.
Benefit: A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a minor globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level. For example, a cleric could prepare hold person as a 4th-level spell (instead of a 2nd-level spell), and it would in all ways be treated as a 4th-level spell.

quick note:

with Sublime Chord the Hard part is the SKILL Reqs... cant get them before 10th lvl(13 ranks in two skills)