Author Topic: Spontaneous Druid Spell Selection  (Read 1938 times)

henweigh

• Monkey bussiness
Spontaneous Druid Spell Selection
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
I've been a long-time lurker and now is the time to be more obtrusive.  I'm playing in game with a new DM--a good guy.  He's both a fan of optimizing and also has a lot of house rules to prevent excessive cheese.  From what I can tell he's using a lot of Phadrus' house rules with a lot of others thrown in.  He's done away with prepared casting . . . completely.  All casters are spontaneous and wizards essentially don't exist.  All casters use the sorcerer's spells known table--though all casters may substitute up to 3 spells upon reaching a new level from their spells known--so long as they have access to those spells (presumed access to all core spells).   Druids have Summon Nature's Ally in addition to their lists and Clerics get their domains and can spontaneously cast cure spells.  I think this is enough detail for my question.  All WoTC products are up for grabs and even some 3rd party materials. And everything, of course, is subject to DM fiat.

Anyway, my plan is to play a Human, Druid 20 with 2 flaws (Divine Gesture (Drag 326), Individualist (Drag 329)) and a wolf AC replaced by a Fleshraker at fifth level.

Feats
[spoiler]1) Spell Focus (conj), Augment Summoning, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Nymph's Kiss;
2) Gift of Discernment;
3) Greenbound Summoning;
4) Intuitive Attack;
6) Natural Spell, Touch of Golden Ice;
8) Exalted Wild Shape;
9) Initiate of Nature;
10) Sanctify Natural Attack;
12) Dragon Wild Shape, Consecrate Spell;
14) Animal Friend;
15) Rashemi Elemental Summoning;
16) Gift of Faith;
18) Ocular Spell, Nimbus of Light;
20) Holy Radiance[/spoiler]

At 20th level I get the following number of spells known
0:9;  1:5;  2:5;  3:4;  4:4;  5:4;  6:3;  7:3;  8:3;  9:3

Here's what I've picked at level 20, though I know I'll have to do some different spells along the way.   I'll eventually try to list the spells at each level, but for now here's where I think I'm ending up (assuming I can get the non-core spells).

0: Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Dawn, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Mending, Read Magic, Resistance
1: Aspect of the Wolf, Entangle, Healthful Rest, Impending Stones, Twilight Luck
2: Blinding Spittle, Bone Talisman, Splinterbolt, Kelpstrand, Snake's Swiftness--Mass
3: Energy Vortex, Poison, Spiritjaws, Venomfire
4: Enhance Wild Shape, Greater Luminous Armor, Murderous Mist, Sheltered Vitality
5: Animal Growth, Control Winds, Owl's Insight, Plant Body
6: Bite of the Werebear, Greater Dispel Magic, Superior Resistance
7: Heal, Master Earth, True Seeing.
8: Frostfell, Leonal's Roar, Sunburst
9: Nature's Avatar, Shapechange, Undermaster.

Is this reasonable?  Do you have suggestions for how to change this along the way? (Like, for a while I'll have Shillelagh, Produce Flame, Call Lightning, Gust of Wind, Wind at Back, and Rejuvenation Cocoon or Panacea, among others.)  What other spells should I be considering at each spell level or along the way?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:52:03 PM by henweigh »

ShriekingDrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The Forest Has Eyes
Re: Spontaneous Druid Spell Selection
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
OK.  I like your list a lot.  I made a few suggestions.  I don't know that mine are better.  I've struckout what I'd take off and replaced it in purple

0: Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Dawn, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Mending, Read Magic, Resistance
1: Aspect of the Wolf, Entangle, Healthful Rest, Impending Stones, Obscuring Mist, Omen of Peril Twilight Luck
2: Blinding Spittle, Bone Talisman, Splinterbolt, Kelpstrand, Snake's Swiftness--Mass
3: Energy Vortex, Poison, Spiritjaws, Venomfire
4: Enhance Wild Shape, Greater Luminous Armor, Murderous Mist, Sheltered Vitality
5: Animal Growth, Baleful Polymorph, Control Winds, Owl's Insight, Plant Body
6: Bite of the Werebear, Greater Dispel Magic, Superior Resistance
7: Heal, Master Earth, True Seeing.
8: Frostfell, Leonal's Roar, Red Tide Sunburst
9: Nature's Avatar, Shapechange, Undermaster.

ps. I'm a big fan of gift of discernment as an exalted feat.  :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:17:42 PM by ShriekingDrake »

henweigh

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »
Thanks, man.  These are good suggestions.  

I'm struggling with how many offensive spells to have.  I'm going with lots of defense, buffs, and utility with just a few AoE spells and a few targeting spells.  What's nice is that spells like Kelpstrand and Venomfire continue to be good spells against many creatures--though, of course, Freedom of Movement and immunity to poison will thwart them, respectively.   I see myself buffing my beast (that didn't come out right: improving my animal companion) quite a bit.

I got the gift of discernment idea from you on a previous post.  :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:36:55 PM by henweigh »

ShriekingDrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The Forest Has Eyes
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
You, sir, have the gift of discernment yourself. 

Another orison I use when its allowed is Groundsmoke for Dragon Magazine.  It keeps campfire smoke from being seen at a distance.  --ShriekingDrake