Author Topic: [SAGA] *snap* *gurgle* drop. Clawdite Assassin  (Read 4525 times)

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
[SAGA] *snap* *gurgle* drop. Clawdite Assassin
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:37 AM »
Been a while since we had a Star Wars optimization...

So, I was working on a backup character for my regular Star Wars  game . I liked a lot of the concepts I  came up with for my Clawdite Sith, and the idea of traveling the galaxy  as anyone I want to be. My party has become very force-user heavy though so I'm putting that idea on hold, and instead I hit upon the idea  of a two-shot assassin. Essentially the trick works like this.

Standard  Action #1: Hit the target (preferably with melee) and drop them the  entire way down the condition track
Standard Action #2: Coup de  Grace (thanks to Fatal Hit).

Basically this character uses his  stealth/disguise abilities to get close to a target, throat punches them, and  then snaps their neck. My party whole-heartedly agrees with this idea  (we are some mean bastards). So I came up with a build, but there are a  few problems with it.

First problem is fitting the two tricks of  the build (uber-shapeshift, and two-shot kill) in as quickly as  possible without gimping the character. I managed to do it in 12 levels  but I'm wondering if it could be done more quickly.
Second problem is  what to do with the levels after I get my tricks done. I opted for more  Assassin/Martial Arts Master levels, but I don't know if thats my best  option. I'm looking for whatever options other people want to suggest.

The  Build: Feats in Bold
Clawdite  Scoundrel 4/Soldier 6/Assassin 6/Martial Arts Master 4
1. Scoundrel  1 - Martial Arts I, Dastardly  Strike
2. Soldier 1 - Devastating Attack (Simple)
3. Soldier 2 - Impersonate, Skill Focus (Deception)
4. Soldier 3  - Melee Smash
5. Soldier 4 - Point  Blank Shot
6. Soldier 5 - Teras-Kasi  Training, Stunning Strike
7. Scoundrel 2 - Melee Defense
8. Scoundrel 3 -  Stymie *I put this here as an  anti-jedi tactic, but I feel like there could be a better use for this  slot
9. Scoundrel 4 - Martial  Arts II, Precise Shot
10.  Soldier 6 - Sniper
11.  Assassin 1 - Ruthless
12. Martial Arts Master 1 - Fatal Hit, Tae-Jitsu Expertise *Come to think of it, Fatal Hit needs to be  as early as I can get it
13. Martial Arts Master 2 -
14.  Martial Arts Master 3 - Teras-Kasi Basics
15. Martial Arts Master 4 -  Master of Disguise *Another +5 deception to disguise myself,  could stand to be earlier
16. Assassin 2 -
17. Assassin 3 -  Shift
18. Assassin 4 - Martial Arts  III
19. Assassin 5 - Advantageous Positioning
20. Assassin  6 -

For those wondering the condition track penalties I'm using  are as follows (if there are any that I could get earlier than the ones  Ive listed don't be afraid to list them).

Stun Damage from  Shockboxing gloves or other -2 Condition Track if my damage beats Damage  threshold
Dastardly Strike                                            -1 Condition if Target flat-footed
Stunning Strike                                             -1 Condition Track if my damage beats Damage  threshold
Tae-Jitsu Expertise                                        -1 Condition Track if my attack roll beats damage threshold

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
Re: [SAGA] *snap* *gurgle* drop. Clawdite Assassin
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:12:46 AM »
Small note, but doesn't Scoundrel give you PBS?  That should clear up one of your feats.

Edit: Actually, that could do a good bit.

Assuming that step 1 is more important then step two, I'd say delay Assassin back.  You can hit MAM 1 at level 8, which will give you all you need to drop your opponent down to 0, which means that, at level 8, you can at least do the sneak up, disguise, throat punch.  You'll just have to wait a round to do the actual kill ;).

In other words, levels 5-8 would change to this:

5. Soldier 4 - Teras-Kasi Training
6. Soldier 5 - Melee Defense, Stunning Strike
7. Scoundrel 2 - Martial Arts II
8. Martial Arts Master - Tae-Jitsu Expertise

If you want to get Fatal Hit in earlier and don't mind a little delay:

5. Soldier 4 - Fatal Hit
6. Soldier 5 - Teras-Kasi Training, Stunning Strike
7. Scoundrel 2 - Melee Defense
8. Soldier - Martial Arts II
9. Martial Arts Master - Tae-Jitsu Expertise
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:30:36 AM by ProfessorCirno »
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
ahh I love starwars rpg. Unfortunately I havent really tried to optimize anything...
seems to me that the force users have such a advantage already there isnt much need.
unless you were to play a non-force user i guess.... but I usually get stuck DMing anyways  :D
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
Not really.  Force users are extremely powerful at level one if they take skill focus right off the bat (mind you've, I've seen GMs that disalllow that), but the more they level, the weaker they (albeit slowly) get due to how the skill scales compared to saves.

Jedi have two advantages: they can target all three saves, and they're full BAB.  That said, their skills are terrible, there isn't a Force solution to everything, and they're limited on what powers they have.

Force wizards can be very powerful, but they're most powerful when they're flexible.  Take a wide variety of powers, and take ones that can do stuff in and out of combat (Blind, for example, is really good).  But they aren't super awesome godly.  They can give nobles more stuff to do though, and nobles will typically have high charisma to begin with, so most of my force wizards do double time as the party leader and face.
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »
Not really.  Force users are extremely powerful at level one if they take skill focus right off the bat (mind you've, I've seen GMs that disalllow that), but the more they level, the weaker they (albeit slowly) get due to how the skill scales compared to saves.

Being a dathomir witch can help you deal with the rate of Defense increase -- the rerolls are quite useful.

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:08:32 AM »
I had to face-palm. I totally forgot that Point Blank Shot was a Scoundrel starting feat. Someone on another forum recommended the Infiltrator prestige class and I'm looking at it now. Will try to update again soon.

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 05:18:24 AM »
I had to face-palm. I totally forgot that Point Blank Shot was a Scoundrel starting feat. Someone on another forum recommended the Infiltrator prestige class and I'm looking at it now. Will try to update again soon.

Infiltrator is annoying - you have to either take a PrC that allows for scout trees, or three levels of scout itself to get in.  A class that seems built for scoundrels, and they can't get in :banghead

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »
Lets try this:

Trained Skills: Perception, Stealth, Deception
Weapon: Shockboxing Gloves (or other melee stun)

Clawdite Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Soldier 5/Martial Arts Master 3/Infiltrator 8
1.  Scoundrel 1 - Dastardly Strike, Martial Arts I
2.  Scout 1 - Improved Stealth, Shake it Off
3.  Scout 2 - Skill Focus (Deception), Impersonate
4.  Scout 3 - Hidden Movement
5.  Soldier 1 - Devastating Attack (Simple), Armor Proficiency (Light)
6.  Soldier 2 - Martial Arts II, Teras-Kasi Training
7.  Soldier 3 - Melee Smash
8.  Soldier 4 - Melee Defense
9.  Soldier 5 - Stunning Attack, Fatal Hit
10. Martial Arts Master 1 - Tae-Jitsu Expertise
11. Martial Arts Master 2 -
12. Martial Arts Master 3 - Teras-Kasi Basics, Skill Focus (Stealth)
13. Infiltrator 1 - Creeping Approach
14. Infiltrator 2 -
15. Infiltrator 3 - Master of Disguise, Silent Takedown
16. Infiltrator 4 -
17. Infiltrator 5 - Concealed Weapon Expert**Ghost Assailant
18. Infiltrator 6 - Martial Arts III
19. Infiltrator 7 - Total Concealment
20. Infiltrator 8 -

**not sure which to take
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:53:20 AM by Adam500 »