Author Topic: Fiend of Possession Handbook  (Read 33925 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Fiend of Possession Handbook
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 02:16:27 PM »
You're probably better off forcing paladins to kill an innocent pregnant woman than you are just possessing people.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 02:59:08 PM »
the benefits are nice, but.... 5 la is just way too much to be worth it.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

TheMasaoL

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:39 PM »
so after taking a few levels in something to meet the skill and will requirements a Neraphim could go straight for this class with no other tricks?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »
so after taking a few levels in something to meet the skill and will requirements a Neraphim could go straight for this class with no other tricks?
Do neraphim have the [Evil] subtype?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »
I wonder if my next Black Hattm project should be a Beholder Mage FoP...purely mental actions you say?  While full power attacking with an epic weapon?  How's 10 spells sound!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 08:42:27 PM »
I wonder if my next Black Hattm project should be a Beholder Mage FoP...purely mental actions you say?  While full power attacking with an epic weapon?  How's 10 spells sound!
Sharn can do similar. And Phaerimms from LEoF. Not as strong as Beholder though.

But FUCK I just realized how strong a Dvati Beholder Mage is.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:46:39 PM by bearsarebrown »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »
I wonder if my next Black Hattm project should be a Beholder Mage FoP...purely mental actions you say?  While full power attacking with an epic weapon?  How's 10 spells sound!
Sharn can do similar. And Phaerimms from LEoF. Not as strong as Beholder though.

FoP Beholder Mage Dvati who summons and possesses two Chronotyryns :)  Quadratic action abuse, yay!  Throw in some psionics, watch the DM start winging books!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »

FoP Beholder Mage Dvati who summons and possesses two Chronotyryns :)  Quadratic action abuse, yay!  Throw in some psionics, watch the DM start winging books!
I think you just gave me a headache trying to figure out how many actions that means.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »

They are outsiders.  You have to use the entry tricks I listed to add the evil subtype.

As for summoning tricks, dragon magazine 302 has additional summoning rules.  You can pretty much summon any outsider and they allow you to add templates to make the creatures outsiders.  Summon up a Pleasure Devil from the fiendish codex 2, page 134.  They have the ability to temporarily take over a creature and take a full round of actions with that creature.  So you possess you meat of choice, summon in pleasure demons with a level 8 or 9 spell, then have the pleasure demons use their possession ability on your meat.  Your possessed target will get his own set of actions and up to 3 more if you summon 3 devils.  And that is only the first round, the following round you can cast a different spell while your meat takes 4 more actions.  I guess it gets worse if you compound it by possessing a Chronotyryns.

The additional summoning rules also make fiendform alot more fun.  I think you can pick devil, demon, or fiendish creature you could turn into with a summon monster level 4 spell.  Still only a CR of 3, but I am sure there is something of interest that could be done.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 01:18:39 AM »
have the pleasure demons use their possession ability on your meat
:lol
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Chilastra022

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
just out of curiosity, cant you gain the evil subtype if your native plane is an evil-aligned outer plane? For instance a human with the otherworldly feat being born into slavery in the abyss or what not? The way i read it is an outsider born on an evil-aligned outer plane inherits the "Evil" subtype due to its native plane being evil-aligned. I may be wrong, but it seems like you can just get the evil subtype with a little background story and gm approval of course.

Evil Subtype

A subtype usually applied only to outsiders native to the evil-aligned Outer Planes.

-Edit: then again if thats the case youd be able to be banished. Though theres ways around it ;3
-Edit2: in which case you could get into FoP by lvl4.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:29:19 AM by Chilastra022 »

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »
Fairly sure one has to be evil to have the [Evil] subtype, too.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
Fairly sure one has to be evil to have the [Evil] subtype, too.
There is no such rule at all. However, if you are not evil and have the [Evil] subtype, you are also counted as Evil for spells and effects it amtters for. So if you're LG and have the [Chaotic] and [Evil] subtypes, you'll light up on all Detect Alignment spells and be vulnerable to all Smite Alignment abilities.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
In the words of Wizards themselves:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a

Succubus Paladin

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »
In the words of Wizards themselves:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a

Succubus Paladin
that "fight club" made me want to vomit blood.  once again, wizards proves their ignorance of their own system.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
I rather like the succubus paladin idea, besides not every succubus has to be chaotic evil, just like 99.9999999% of them...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
The problem being that you always count as being Chaotic Evil in addition to your alignment, so a Succubus Paladin would fall hard enough to split the earth the second she takes a level of Paladin.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »
The problem being that you always count as being Chaotic Evil in addition to your alignment, so a Succubus Paladin would fall hard enough to split the earth the second she takes a level of Paladin.

True, it really just does not work by the rules. But that is more  a problem with the paladin code of conduct than anything.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »

True, it really just does not work by the rules. But that is more  a problem with the paladin code of conduct than anything.
Well, depending on your view of Paladins, it might make more sense than a lot of other stuff. I can definitely see a god or order barring creatures literally made of entropy and Evil with a capital E from becoming Paladins in a world where white and black is at least somewhat distinguishable.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.
Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

It doesn't actually say you cant be evil it just tells you that you have to be lawful good so potentially she wouldn't fall so long as she doesn't do anything evil and remains lawful good.

Any effect that depends on alignment affects a creature with this subtype as if the creature has an evil alignment, no matter what its alignment actually is. The creature also suffers effects according to its actual alignment. A creature with the evil subtype overcomes damage reduction as if its natural weapons and any weapons it wields were evil-aligned (see Damage Reduction, above).
It could also be argued that the paladins code isn't an effect.

So considering the succubus ends up as Chaotic Evil Lawful Good and unless paladin specifially rejected people who were either;
Not Lawful good
or
Evil, chaotic or neutral in any respect
she should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:55:00 AM by Littha »