Author Topic: Sode #10- Who Do You Owe?  (Read 9165 times)

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
Re: Episode 10- Who Do You Owe?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 04:11:58 PM »
Note that not all local stores are run the same though, so it can be hit or miss (as I said, even with 6 stores around me they all fall short in one way or another).

The big LGS around me does have people there to demo games.  Unfortunately it's up to someone who loves a game to take the initiative 90% of the time (employees rarely demo games) and in return for doing a demo there, they give you a 20% discount (which not only doesn't compete with internet discounts, it doesn't even compete with another local stores 30% cash discount).

No stores around here seal their books either.

I wouldn't shed a tear for most of the game stores I've been in (not just stores local to me) if they closed up shop.  But like I said above, I think that the more game stores there are, the better it is for the area.  So while local stores may not fit your specific needs, they help keep the local game scene active.
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

benbalestra

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 12:23:02 AM »
So... I shouldn't bother to convert my Eberron game to 4e?

Convert?  Probably not.  Wait 'till 4e comes out and then remake it, keeping plot elements and the such, but imo, it'll be extremely hard to convert between editions. 

I'll play 4e-- will probably buy it too.  But mostly just to have more informed opinions about it.  I can't imagine loving it, even to the extent I love 3.5. 

I have already pre-ordered the 4th edition books (the three pack as well as the adventure they are releasing two weeks before), mostly because I wanted to see it, it will have a major impact on the hobby (good or bad it yet to be seen), and becase I got an extremely good price from a On-Line store.  My FLAG (of which we have only two, and perhapes only one soon, in my town) has stated that he will not be carrying 4th edition, becase WOTC cut a deal with an on line store so sell the books as a price lower then the distributers sell to the game stores at.

Over all from what I have been seeing of 4th edition it does not look like something I want to play.  They have dumded the system way way down.  The Monster stats that they have given preview of look more like the cards from the mini game then from D&D the RPG.  The system is designed to try to simular a MMORPG way too much, the entire point of table top today is that it can do so much more then MMORPG's, so making it more like it destroyes the point of table top.

As per who I owe, I feel I have given a great deal back to the hobby (that is why I got into Podcasting) so I don't own any one in a positive sense.  Palladium Books on the other had I owe in a very negative sense, but that is not a subject I can talk about here.  Yet, atleast.

Ben
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:26:39 AM by benbalestra »
-------------------------------------
Host of Games You May Never Have Heard Of
Part of the All Games Considered Podcast

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 01:54:04 AM »
I will reserve judgment until the books come out. 

I find that it is easy to get the wrong impression from pre-release information.

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »
I actually thought this podcast was going to be about something different...I was thinking I really owe my ex. He introduced me to gaming (though with such a convoluted homebrew that my DH [Darling Husband] and most often used GM is still dealing with some ingrained issues over 10 years later).

I guess I also owe him for his absolute lack of interest in DnD 3ed, which meant that I had to take to the internet for my fix, first to ENWorld and from there to the WotC. Despite the decline in the current WotC boards, I will always look back fondly on them since I met my DH there and other great people there, including the incomparable Meghan.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Tazendra

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »
I owe the friends that I met in college who helped me overcome my initial attitude of disbelief and ridicule towards gamers in general (I never even heard of RPGs until I got to college) and who  convinced me that first edition D&D and Rolemaster weren't silly wastes of time.

I owe my first DM, who built such a wonderful and fully developed world that I'm still drawing from it in my own games 26 years later.

I owe Phantom of the Attic, the local gaming store in Pittsburgh, where I went to college. There was another game shop in Squirrel Hill at the time that I actually went to first, but its name escapes me and I don't think they still are an RPG store. Both of them were nice enough to let me browse through their stuff. I eventually bought a goot bit, but not for the first couple of years.

I owe my parents. I was totally broke in college, and had no money for social activities. D&D didn't cost me anything, the other players had the books (we only had the players Guide and the DMG), so it was a cheap way to pass the time. If this was also describing who I owe for being successful in my life, I could thank my parents, for the same reasons. I drank my way through high school, and being broke in college kept me out of a heck of a lot of potential trouble.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:47:41 PM by Tazendra »

Tazendra

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
I will reserve judgment until the books come out. 

I find that it is easy to get the wrong impression from pre-release information.

I agree. Its too easy to get upset because you don't have the whole picture. I haven't even paid that much attention to 4E yet. I'll wait until it comes out to get an opinion on it.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »
Do you owe your wonderful flgs anything if you worked for them for three months, trying to find ways to bring in more business with things like tournaments for floundering systems, and they fired you during a time of shitty economy?