Author Topic: Rules  (Read 2302 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Rules
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:35:13 PM »
I figure I might as well post the rules here, since the PbP general thread is likely to get locked soon.

Rules:

Reference
For reference, here is the link to the four classes.
Here are the four new classes.

Available materials
I'll say you can use all 3.5 books, but no Dragon Magazines.  I'll still want all builds run by me first.

Ability scores
32 point point-buy.

Races
Core races (PHB and MM) and UA-variants only.  Any other races may be allowed by request.  No Level Adjustment, as I want to test the classes themselves.

Classes
Once you pick one of these four classes, you have to stick with it with no multiclassing.  Again, I'm testing the classes. ;)

Starting Gold
Everyone starts with 125gp (I know, I forgot to include starting gold in the classes :p).

Traits/Flaws
You can take up to two of each from the normal Unearthed Arcana list.

XP/Leveling
I'm not going to hand out XP as normal.  After a few fights at a given level, I'll tell you guys to level.  Use 1/2 your Hit Die when gaining a level (the "average" variant in the DMG).

Die rolling
I'm going to trust everyone here not to cheat.  You can just roll your own dice and type in the result.  I'm not going to make you use invisible castle or anything.  Although it would be good to include modifiers when listing the result, to help keep things clear.  So, a d20 roll might look like "d20 + 12 = 24", listing the 12 modifier and the total result of 24.  Make sense/seem fair?

Passive Die rolls
Each player will roll dice for all things they do, such as attacks, active skill checks, and the like.  The DM will roll any passive rolls for the players, such as saving throws, passive skill checks (Spot and Listen at the onset of the encounter), and similar rolls.  This is to save time.  Thanks, Veekie, for the suggestion.

Let me know if you think I'm missing anything.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:37:21 PM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »
I was thinking of using something as simple as this for representing you characters on the battle map. I used colors to represent each class, and the initial for each of your PC's names.  Archangel, I think you were the only one not to name your PC, so I just used the letter A.  I'm fine if you don't name your PC, but if you do, I can switch the letter.

Anyway, is this easy enough for everyone to see?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:50 AM »
Looks a little small, but it is easy enough to read.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:04 AM »
I'm hoping it isn't too small.  I made the grid squares 20 pixels, so I could fit 40x40 squares in an 820x820 gif (counting space for labels).

A am thinking I'll just host these pictures on photobucket or something so I can spoiler them so they take less space.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
Good idea, that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 01:09:04 AM »
A link to the classes in the rules would probably be a good idea, even though we know where it is.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 01:21:52 AM »
Good idea.  I added a link toward the top.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »
Here are the new changes to test as of 6/6/11:

Modified spell list and spells:

Aeromancer

Level 0:
Sonic Blast

Level 1:
Call Lightning*, Lightning Bolt

Level 2:
Arc of Lightning, Cacophonic Burst, Call Lightning Storm*, Chain Lightning, Resonating Bolt, Shatterfloor

Level 3:
Defenestrating Sphere, Orb of Sound

Level 5:
Lightning Ring

Call Lightning/Call Lightning Storm
Firing additional bolts beyond the first is a swift action.  You can only fire one bolt per round.  Bolts do 1d6 damage per caster level, capped at 3d6 for Call Lightning and 5d6 for Call Lightning Storm (or d10s in the proper conditions).

Geomancer

Level 0:
Hail of Stone

Level 2:
Shatterfloor

Hydromancer

Level 0:
Ice Dagger

Level 1:
Ice Knife*

Level 3:
Icelance*, Orb of Acid

Ice Knife
Medium range, 1d8 damage per odd CL (capped at 5d8), Dex penalty and not damage.

Icelance
Increase damage to 1d6 per caster level, cap 15d6.

Pyromancer

Level 0:
Burning Hands

Level 1:
Fireball, Fireburst

Level 2:
Blast of Flame, Flaming Sphere*

Level 3:
Delayed Blast Fireball, Firebrand, Greater Firebusrt, Orb of Fire, Wall of Fire

Level 4:
Flame Whips*

Level 6:
Fire Spiders*

Level 8:
Meteor Swarm

Fire Spiders
Increase damage to 6d6.  Redirecting spiders is a swift action instead of a move action.

Flame Whips
Increase damage to 1d6 per caster level, capped at 15d6.

Flaming Sphere
Increase damage to half caster level, round up, capped at 5d6.  Redirect sphere is a swift action instead of a move action.

Modified Geomancer

The Geomancer   Hit Die: d10
Level   Base        Fort  Ref   Will  Special
        Attack      Save  Save  Save
        Bonus
____________________________________________________________________________________
1       +0          +0    +0    +2    Armored mage, close to earth, stonecraft
2       +1          +0    +0    +3    Damage reduction 2/adamantine
3       +2          +1    +1    +3    Stone Enhancement
4       +3          +1    +1    +4    Advanced learning   
5       +3          +1    +1    +4    Familiar, elemental body
6       +4          +2    +2    +5    Damage reduction 4/adamantine
7       +5          +2    +2    +5    Burrow (earth, 10ft)
8       +6/+1       +2    +2    +6    Advanced learning   
9       +6/+1       +3    +3    +6    Adaptive mineral
10      +7/+2       +3    +3    +7    Damage reduction 6/adamantine, elemental body
11      +8/+3       +3    +3    +7    Sudden Stalagmite
12      +9/+4       +4    +4    +8    Advanced learning   
13      +9/+4       +4    +4    +8    Burrow (stone, full speed)
14      +10/+5      +4    +4    +9    Damage reduction 8/adamantine
15      +11/+6/+1   +5    +5    +9    Elemental body
16      +12/+7/+2   +5    +5    +10   Advanced learning   
17      +12/+7/+2   +5    +5    +10   Earth glide
18      +13/+8/+3   +6    +6    +11   Damage reduction 10/adamantine
19      +14/+9/+4   +6    +6    +11  
20      +15/+10/+5  +6    +6    +12   Advanced learning

Spells per Day:

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Climb, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Profession, Search, Spellcraft.

Class Features
Your class features focus on advancing your connection to the element of earth.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Geomancers are proficient with all simple weapons plus the light and heavy pick, and with all martial bludgeoning weapons.  Geomancers are proficient with light, medium, and heavy armor, as well as shields (except tower shields).

Spells: A geomancer casts arcane spells which are drawn from the spell list below. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time.  To cast a spell of a given level, the geomancer must have a Constitution score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a geomancer's spell is 10 + the spell level + the geomancer's Constitution modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a geomancer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the Spells per Day table, above. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Constitution score.

Armored Mage (Ex): A geomancer can cast arcane spells in any armor or shield with which he is proficient without risking arcane spell failure.  This only applies to spells granted by the geomancer class.

Close to Earth (Ex): The geomancer is attuned to the earth, and he heals faster when in contact with it.  When standing on solid earth or stone, the geomancer gains fast healing 1.  His fast healing improves by one point per round at 5th level and every five levels thereafter.

A multiclassed geomancer loses this ability unless he has at least four geomancer class levels.  If a multiclassed geomancer later increases his class level to four or higher, he regains this ability.

Stonecraft (Ex): The geomancer gains a +4 competence bonus on all Appraise and Craft checks involving stone (including precious stones) and metal.  In addition, he is treated as having the Trapfinding ability or a rogue for purposes of finding traps made of stone, or set inside of stone (including stone doors, chests, floors, and other such objects).  He may use Knowledge(dungeoneering) in place of Disable Device to remove such traps.

Damage Reduction (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, the geomancer gains damage reduction overcome by adamantine weapons.  At first level, he gains DR 2/adamantine.  This damage reduction improves by two points each four levels thereafter, to a maximum of DR 10/adamantine at 18th level.

Stone Enhancement (Su): Starting at 3rd level, the geomancer can use his magical power to enhance his combat ability.  He may expend a spell slot as a swift action to increase the damage dealt by any melee or ranged weapon made of stone he wields by 1d6 points per spell level of the slot spent.  This damage ignores all damage reduction and any hardness below 20.  These attacks gain a competence bonus to hit equal to the level of the spell slot spent.

These effects last for one minute per spell level of the slot spent.

Advanced Learning (Ex): at 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, a geomancer can learn a new spell, adding it permanently to his spell list.  The spell must be from a 9-level spell list with either the [acid] or [earth] descriptor and it must be of a level the geomancer can currently cast.  Once this spell is picked, it cannot be changed.  This spell is treated as an arcane spell, regardless of the list is is normally found on.

Alternately, the geomancer can pick any reserve feat or fighter feat for which he meets the prerequisites.

Familiar (Ex): At 5th level, the geomancer can get a small earth elemental as a familiar.  The earth elemental behaves as a familiar, as described under the sorcerer and wizard classes, except that it does not require gold to summon and the geomancer loses no experience if the familiar dies or is dismissed.  A new familiar can be summoned within 24 hours.

Elemental Body (Ex):Burrow (Ex): At 7th level, the geomancer can burrow through soft earth at a speed of ten feet per round.  At 13th level, the geomancer can burrow at his base land speed, and he can burrow though stone, as well.

Adaptive Mineral (Ex): At 9th level, a geomancer may treat any weapon primarily made of stone that he wields as silver, cold iron, and adamantine for purposes of overcoming damage reduction or regeneration.

Sudden Stalagmite (Sp): At 11th level, the geomancer can cast Sudden Stalagmite (See the Spell Compendium) as a spell-like ability, at will.

Earth Glide (Ex): At 17th level, the geomancer can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. His burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A Move Earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing geomancer flings him back 30 feet, stunning him for 1 round unless he succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Geomancer Spell List

Level 0: Detect Earth *, Detect Magic, Hail of Stone SC *, Mending, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resistance, Virtue

Level 1: Fist of Stone SC, Foundation of Stone SC, Ironguts SC, Magic Stone, Sandblast SC, Shield

Level 2:SC, Earthfast SC, Earthen Grace SC, Earthen Grasp SC, Earth Lock SC, Heat Metal, Protection from Arrows, Soften Earth and Stone

Level 3: Avoid Planar Effects SC, E, Bands of Steel SC, Dispel Magic, Earthbolt CA, Eradicate Earth SCSC, Meld into Stone, Shatterfloor SC, Spike Growth, Stone Shape, Summon Monster III E, Tremorsense SC

Level 4: Metal Melt SC, Stoneskin, Stone Sphere SC, Sudden Stalagmite SC, Summon Monster IV E, Wall of Sand SC

Level 5: Earth Reaver SC, Indomitablity SC, Lesser Ironguard SC, Passwall, Planar Tolerance SC,E, Plane Shift E, Summon Monster V E, Transmute Mud to Rock, Transmute Rock to Mud, Wall of Stone, Xorn Movement SC

Level 6: Flesh to Stone, Genjump SC, Greater Dispel Magic, Move Earth, Stone Body SC, Stone Tell, Stone to Flesh, Summon Monster VI E, Tunnel Swallow SC, Wall of Gears SC, Wall of Iron

New Geomancer Spells

Detect Earth:
Level 1
As Detect Animals and Plants, except you detect stone, metals, and minerals in the area, mundane or magical.

1st round
Presence or absence of unworked stone, metal, and minerals.

2nd round
Number of deposits or objects detected in the area.

3rd roundHail of Stone:
Level 0
Increase damage to 1d6 per caster level.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]