Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 109008 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: OOC Chat
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2010, 12:24:18 AM »
sorry if you guys were waiting on me. I had a judo tournament all day today. While i was frustrated in my performance our kids took first place for the team trophy.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »
Glad to hear some good came out of it!
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
Doing fairly well, it seems, though I see we're enjoying an ungodly level of luck with fort saves and stuff.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:25 PM »
Yeah, I have to admit I was a bit nervous during the surprise round.

As for the Fort saves, I think only three have been rolled so far (maybe 4), and statistically, I'd expect all but one of those to have succeeded.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »
Man, how do I keep getting at or near the bottom of initiative? I've got a pretty good Dex, so obviously it's the dice. The dice hate me.  :bigeye
 :lol

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
At least they hated the zombies worse. :p
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »
Yeah, I knew undead would be a good change of pace to see how it hurts the non-lethal damage-dealers, but I forgot about the DR zombies have.  I'll have to look into the slashing and bludgeoning options for the aeromancer and hydromancer for dealing with zombies and skeletons.  It looks like all of their unique weapons are piercing, but at least both are proficient in simple weapons, which opens up the mace/morningstar and sickle.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:55 AM »
Actually....looking at my stuff, I can't hurt the zombies at all.
Oh crap.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 01:58:37 AM »
Can you trip them, or anything?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 02:06:02 AM »
You wanna see a heavy str penalty halfling try tripping? :P
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2010, 02:13:43 AM »
I dunno. I'm just trying to think of something. :)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 05:50:36 AM »
No worries, I got this.  :D I hope... or I'm about to get zombie-rapped...

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
i'm in the same boat as Veekie the only thing i have is my heavy crossbow and i have to roll 6+ on a d8 if i hit to deal anything. flank and aid another here we go.  :(
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
I think level 2 will be better in this regard.  Veekie will be able to heal at least, and Archangel will get access to Wind Push, which will be situationally useful.

One thing I thought of when reading Wind Push: it's basically a ranged bull rush that uses Cha instead of Str.  I noticed I didn't mention anything on size.  Should I steal an idea from Kelpstrand and have it use your Caster Level instead of size for the modifier, or would that make it too good?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
i'll re-read it to make sure i'm clear on how it functions, but off the top of my head i would say no size modifier. The character size probably shouldn't have any effect on how efficient the wind is at moving creatures. This of course give an advantage to smaller character and takes away from larger ones though. I think CL as a bonus might end up being too high, but then again without something the larger creatures will never loose vs it.

a quick run down of level appropriate monsters and reviewing bullrush rules a bonus of some kind is needed to be able to have any effect on monsters larger than Med. They get double bonuses as they typically have high str and the size bonus. At a glance using monsters from the SRD that were med. size i found that it should be pretty much a toss up with the str bonus being about on par with what i would expect an aero's cha bonus to be. Perhaps a sliding rule where you gain a bonus vs larger creatures using the larger surface area as justification.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:44:06 PM by archangel.arcanis »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »
Maybe instead of giving a constantly scaling bonus, like CL, you could instead give an occasionally scaling bonus, like +2 at some level, +4 later on, etc. etc.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »
I think tossing CL+Cha into bullrushing should make it competitive against monsters as a virtual size bonus(since CL roughly increases at the same rate as size and ludicrous monster str), though it'd be flinging humanoids around unless they're bullrush specced.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2010, 02:19:57 PM »
I think tossing CL+Cha into bullrushing should make it competitive against monsters as a virtual size bonus(since CL roughly increases at the same rate as size and ludicrous monster str), though it'd be flinging humanoids around unless they're bullrush specced.

that is why i suggested a sliding size bonus. Anything that is med. size stands no chance if the bonus was always on. It would be easy enough to cause a lot of damage rushing people off of cliffs or into the ground once i fly (though I don't see the rules for damaging creatures with it how i thought you could).

Also one caveat in the bull rush rules. You can't attempt vs an enemy more than 1 size larger than you. So my character could on try against M or smaller. So the sliding bonus wouldn't even be needed unless we explicitly removed that from the wind push ability. Same goes for trips.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »
True, bit of a pity not to be able to blow monsters around though.
Hmmm, how about applying a virtual size category to the bull rush effect every 4CL?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »
True, bit of a pity not to be able to blow monsters around though.
Hmmm, how about applying a virtual size category to the bull rush effect every 4CL?
Isn't that pretty much the same thing?  The only difference I can see is that you'd otherwise be behind on levels not divisible by four.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]