Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 108764 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: OOC Chat
« Reply #560 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:55 AM »
Ah, I gotcha. So v.1 is like revivify, while v.2 is resurrection.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #561 on: September 14, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »
Both with fiery mantles of death.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #562 on: September 14, 2010, 04:14:54 AM »
Gotta have fiery mantles of death.  :lmao

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:14 AM »
Gotta have fiery mantles of death.  :lmao
Never leave the house without 'em. Or my towel.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: September 14, 2010, 05:38:17 AM »
I find it kind of funny that I've spent more time trying to develop spells/abilities for the pyromancer, when I've been playtesting the geomancer this whole time. :P

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #565 on: September 14, 2010, 05:40:24 AM »
I've been badly trying to avoid pyro activity; it's in my nature, but I figured I should avoid it since I'm playtesting a geo.  :rollseyes

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #566 on: September 14, 2010, 06:55:24 AM »
I think it might be a good idea to have the effect be /week initially and restore the pyro to 1hp after 3 rounds.
Around 13th level you can upgrade it to be /day, and reduce the time, the pyro explodes instantly and is restored in 2 rounds.
Around 16th, you improve it to half hp, and twice per day.
At 20th, you, you gain unlimited use and you are fully restored one round later. But each time you explode you gain a negative level. Those fade at the rate of 1/day, but you die for real if you are brought to level 0.

No 'pre activation' needed, it's an automatic ability with a usage limit.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #567 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »
I do like the idea of the pyro having the ability built in innately, because of the Phoenix.  I'm not sure I want to build in auto-resurrect abilities for the other three.

As for the hydro, I was thinking about giving them Resurrection and True Resurrection.  I'm not worried about the power, but do you feel it violates the flavor of the class?  All of the other healing stuff I gave them was either Vigor (healing over time) or Restoration (removing status ailments).  I'd otherwise left off the Cure spells and Heal.

What kinds of class features do you think a hydro should have?  I'd thought of a few minor things (both at level 2 at this point) to let them walk on water if they keep moving and to let them never catch on fire (they still take instantaneous fire damage).

I'm still at a loss for higher level aeromancer powers.  I don't want to just fill the levels with teleports.  The problem is, it's the levels 11+ that are dead, and you need good stuff in those levels.  Would a one-round duration, immediate action Gaseous Form be cool?  It'd allow you to dodge a lot of attacks, and mobility and not-getting hit is what this class is supposed to excel at.  I suppose I could throw in stuff like Evasion for shiggles.

Also, I'm toying with adding in intermediate saves via Grace and Combat Fortitude (or is it Battle Fortitude?).  I figured Reflex would go to the aero and pyro, and Fort would go to the hydro and geo.  It's really more for flavor than anything else.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #568 on: September 14, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
^^
Maybe for Water you can give it regeneration instead of auto-rez, so only Fire actually autorez, while Air merely has an 'automatic escape' clause and Earth uses gargoyle style recovery.

The Hydromancer could do well with transforming to ooze form, a [urhttp://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm]Control Body[/url] effect on any creature that's mostly composed of water(i.e. most living critters), redirection of magical effects,  or the ability to reflexively alter the shape of area effects(think water flow and redirection). Other abilities could include transformation and shapechanging abilities, or teleporting via water(requiring large water sources initially, but upgrading to function on anything mostly aqueous(like a less restricted version of the Blood Mage's Bloodwalk).

Aeromancer wise,they definitely could use a discorporation ability(whether as a immediate reaction or as a more long duration thing), and grow more at home in an immaterial shape at higher levels, eventually remaining in a gaseous shape permanently(with the ability to switch back). High speed weather control is one possibility, instant, combat speed weather, including weather of unnatural magnitude(razor sharp winds for example). Forced movement effects fit well, as does disintegration.

As for the intermediate saves, I think it's a fine idea, though I dare say throwing in Evasion or Mettle as appropriate wouldn't go amiss, provided it's not easily dippable.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: September 14, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »
Dimensional Jaunt type ability?? Though i'm liking what Veekie suggested about better weather control and the more insubstantial form. The problem is that it would hurt the character to be insubstantial most of the time as it eliminates their ability to use magical items. Another item that you may already have in there would be for the Aero to be immune to wind effects so they could take up archery in a tornado. That reminds me are the tornado spells on the list as those would probably work really thematically.

I think for each of the classes we need to be able to answer a few basic questions:
How do the contribute in a fight? How do they survive a fight? How to they contribute outside of a fight?
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #570 on: September 14, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »
I did throw in a move-action jaunt up to a distance equal to their movement, with line of effect.  I figured it'd be good to get through a crowded area and avoid AoOs.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to give them the equivalent of Abrupt Jaunt, but that was before I considered giving these guys reflexive abilities.

I think for each of the classes we need to be able to answer a few basic questions:
How do the contribute in a fight? How do they survive a fight? How to they contribute outside of a fight?
Good point:

Aero
How do the contribute in a fight? Some crowd control (some AoE, some push/trip abilities), electric and sonic damage.  Summon elementals.
How do they survive a fight? Mobility.  Avoid being hit and confound the enemy.
How to they contribute outside of a fight? Get to hard-to-reach places.  Teleport.  Summon elemental to do tasks.  Detect/Dispel Magic.

Geo
How do the contribute in a fight? Smash stuff, buff self and others, some crowd control.  Summon elementals.
How do they survive a fight? Take hits and be tough.  Set up walls and such to funnel enemies and divide and conquer.
How to they contribute outside of a fight? Stone Shape and similar spells to alter dungeons and structures.  Burrow. Summon elemental to do tasks.  Detect/Dispel Magic.

Hydro
How do the contribute in a fight? Ice and acid damage.  Some crowd control.  Healing.  Summon elementals.
How do they survive a fight? Not sure yet.  Avoid/mitigate damage?
How to they contribute outside of a fight? Heal.  Do stuff underwater.  Summon elemental to do tasks.  Detect/Dispel Magic.

Pyro
How do the contribute in a fight? Burninate, use smoke and walls of fire for minor crowd control or debuffing.  Summon elementals.
How do they survive a fight? The best defense is a good offense.  Fire resistance/immunity.  Reflexive retributive fire damage.
How to they contribute outside of a fight? Burn obstacles.  Get to hard to reach areas.  Summon elemental to do tasks.  Detect/Dispel Magic.

Also, all of these classes are Cha-based casters, so they have the potential to be the party face, at least at low levels, when the Cha mod is as important as ranks.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #571 on: September 14, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I think it might be a good idea to have the effect be /week initially and restore the pyro to 1hp after 3 rounds.
Around 13th level you can upgrade it to be /day, and reduce the time, the pyro explodes instantly and is restored in 2 rounds.
At 20th, you, you gain unlimited use and you are fully restored one round later. But each time you explode you gain a negative level. Those fade at the rate of 1/day, but you die for real if you are brought to level 0.

Eh, I really don't like the idea of punishing the player for getting killed, more than the actual act of being killed. I'd rather not toy with the type of uses, really, either. Self-resurrection is a high-level ability, any way you look at it, and shouldn't be accessible all that often. Either 1/day total, or 1 or 2 /week. Discourages the player from dying since they can't constantly just rely on their ability to simply come back to life, but still helps them out a lot.

If you're really set on giving them unlimited uses at high level, which I still disagree with unless it's a capstone ability, then make it so the base ability restores them to 1/2 or 1/4 hp, and each successive use of the ability in a given day reduces the amount of hp restored initially, like -10 for each use, or each use gains only half of the previous use's total, or something like that.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #572 on: September 14, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »
For hydro survival perhaps granting them temp HP for common tasks they would perform so they can absorb the damage. They "move like water" to bend but not break. Where as i see Geo as having DR to just laugh as the blows bounce off, don't bend or break mentality.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: September 14, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »

Eh, I really don't like the idea of punishing the player for getting killed, more than the actual act of being killed. I'd rather not toy with the type of uses, really, either. Self-resurrection is a high-level ability, any way you look at it, and shouldn't be accessible all that often. Either 1/day total, or 1 or 2 /week. Discourages the player from dying since they can't constantly just rely on their ability to simply come back to life, but still helps them out a lot.

If you're really set on giving them unlimited uses at high level, which I still disagree with unless it's a capstone ability, then make it so the base ability restores them to 1/2 or 1/4 hp, and each successive use of the ability in a given day reduces the amount of hp restored initially, like -10 for each use, or each use gains only half of the previous use's total, or something like that.

This post made me think about how self resurrection could be an issue, especially if it doesn't have a cost to it. These guys are allowed to be evil, or could be minions of an evil character. Now they could sacrifice them for power and they will pop back up in less than a day.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: September 14, 2010, 12:47:45 PM »
That's a good reason why I wanted to keep it at 1/day or 1/week or something like that (despite hating weekly abilities, it might be more appropriate).

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #575 on: September 14, 2010, 03:21:23 PM »
The problem is that it would hurt the character to be insubstantial most of the time as it eliminates their ability to use magical items.
Well, I had assumed it'd be part and parcel of such an ability for your equipment to go with you...

As for the respawn thing, the only negative level penalty was alloted for 20th level capstone, and the idea was mainly to give a way to kill a phoenix by repeatedly killing it.
An alternative is to simply increase the time needed to respawn per death, so the first time you die, you come back in a few rounds after a flamesplosion, the second time you come back in a few minutes, the third, in hours, the fourth in days, the 5th weeks, and so on, and requiring your ashes to be mostly intact to revive.
The diminishing health per return is a rather nice solution to it though, with full health restore on your first restoration, half on second, quarter on third, and 1hp on fourth. Counting per week?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #576 on: September 14, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
I keep having trouble finding more than 15-minute chunks of time to work on this, and then I post confusing snippits here.  Would you guys be okay if I simply attached the most recent version of the file as-is so you can see where I'm at?  Is a .doc format okay?  That's by far the fastest for me in that I don't need to change the format to post it.

Alternatively, if I use google docs, can I copy-paste the Word version, tables and all, or do I have to redo them manually?  I've never tried it before.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #577 on: September 14, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
The problem is that it would hurt the character to be insubstantial most of the time as it eliminates their ability to use magical items.
Well, I had assumed it'd be part and parcel of such an ability for your equipment to go with you...
Yes but they are all turned off at that point. So if you spend most of your time as a cloud why should you bother with a cloak of charisma? It just eliminates one of the big aspects of the game as we all know the characters with less access to magic and magic items are at a severe disadvantage.
I keep having trouble finding more than 15-minute chunks of time to work on this, and then I post confusing snippits here.  Would you guys be okay if I simply attached the most recent version of the file as-is so you can see where I'm at?  Is a .doc format okay?  That's by far the fastest for me in that I don't need to change the format to post it.

Alternatively, if I use google docs, can I copy-paste the Word version, tables and all, or do I have to redo them manually?  I've never tried it before.
Yes google docs should work to import it all without much if any issue. You could also upload it strait to google docs and share from there with it still as a doc as well.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #578 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »
Yes but they are all turned off at that point. So if you spend most of your time as a cloud why should you bother with a cloak of charisma? It just eliminates one of the big aspects of the game as we all know the characters with less access to magic and magic items are at a severe disadvantage.
I was thinking something more like a humanoid cloud, wearing equipment that have also been transformed into fully functional pieces of cloud(but revert when dropped or fired of course).

Sorta like being a gaseous ghost.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: September 14, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »
ok that makes sense it just didn't fit with the previous MO that game has used for transformations, especially to cloud like creatures.