Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 108762 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: OOC Chat
« Reply #480 on: August 27, 2010, 12:33:28 AM »
Updraft could be interesting for the Aeromancer, though not necessary.

I like the Geomancer list overall. Lots of utility and control spells, which I'd expect for an earth-caster. Inclusion of Fist of Stone is nice, as that's really thematic and an unofficially signature spell anyway.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: August 27, 2010, 01:30:27 AM »
At a glance all of the lists look a bit skimpy, maybe once we can see the other features it will flesh out a bit better. From my PoV as an Aeromancer i wonder why core spells like lightning bolt and chain lightning aren't on the list. Also the ball lightning spell as well could be different yet fit. When i have some time i'll look at the lists a bit closer and see if there are any spells that I feel can contribute to each list.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #482 on: August 27, 2010, 03:14:05 AM »
I actually like the lists. They're not really supposed to be well varied spellcasters; this kinda fits in with the warlock feel the classes have. It's like invocations, but more flavored. Overall, I like it.

And of course Venn loves the FoS addition. :P

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #483 on: August 27, 2010, 03:59:55 AM »
I actually like the lists. They're not really supposed to be well varied spellcasters; this kinda fits in with the warlock feel the classes have. It's like invocations, but more flavored. Overall, I like it.

What, of course I like the addition of a spell I was already using via a wand at the earliest possible moment? Nahhhh... :D
Honestly, it's actually a good spell to use from a wand, since there are absolutely no numeric variables, including duration. So it's the same effect regardless of whether a 1st level caster uses it or a 20th. Of course, this just begs for a scaling version, but I'm sure the point is made. At low levels, it makes a poor brawler into a good brawler. :)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #484 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »
Lightning bolt for air.
Earthbolt for earth.
I think there is some sort of flying fire spell...can't think of the name.
I avoided Lighting Bolt because I wanted to use Call Lighting instead.  I figured I'd focus more on sonic for the bulk of direct damage.  Although if the spell list is too small, I can still add it.  Where is Earthbolt?  I may have missed it.

I used Wind Walk for fire, but I may want to make up a spell.  If you guys can't think of one, I might create one, that heats up the air and deals fire damage to near-by creatures as well.

At a glance all of the lists look a bit skimpy, maybe once we can see the other features it will flesh out a bit better. From my PoV as an Aeromancer i wonder why core spells like lightning bolt and chain lightning aren't on the list. Also the ball lightning spell as well could be different yet fit. When i have some time i'll look at the lists a bit closer and see if there are any spells that I feel can contribute to each list.
That might be fine.  Again, I left off a lot of lightning spells in favor of Call Lightning (actually summoning lightning bolts from the sky), but if it seems too skimpy, I may add it in.  Also, I may just create some of my own spells, similar to what I started for the Pyromancer.

Honestly, it's actually a good spell to use from a wand, since there are absolutely no numeric variables, including duration.
I may grant it at will at some point as well.  I was thinking about doing that for all the casters.  For instance, I wanted the Pyromancer to have unlimited use of Produce Flame right at level 1.  That grants him 1d6+1 fire damage at 120' range (but you have to re-cast when the duration runs out).  The problem is you lose your duration every time you throw at 1st level, unless I also give them an unlimited duration.

I was thinking I could do something similar at 1st level for all the classes.  Fire makes sense to have a damaging spell.  Create Water would be handy for the Hydromancer, but I may want to give them something combat based.  I'm at a bit of a loss for the Aeromancer, too.

I can't make any promises for when I'll have the class features finished. 
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #485 on: August 27, 2010, 10:17:49 AM »
Well, I can't say anything for certain on the spells until I know the powers they have, but lets see
I may grant it at will at some point as well.  I was thinking about doing that for all the casters.  For instance, I wanted the Pyromancer to have unlimited use of Produce Flame right at level 1.  That grants him 1d6+1 fire damage at 120' range (but you have to re-cast when the duration runs out).  The problem is you lose your duration every time you throw at 1st level, unless I also give them an unlimited duration.
Produce Flame is easy, grant it as a swift action at will, so they always have a flame in hand if they want. Possibly allow the pyromancer to take Control Flames, Flame Whip or Burning Hands-like effects at the same level instead of Produce flame.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #486 on: August 27, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
That swift action idea is really quite nice.  I may try the same with the other three classes.  Any ideas on good 1st level spells for the other three classes?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #487 on: August 27, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »
Air- Orb of sound (lesser), Deafening Clang (SC) may be viable as well.
Earth - Fist of stone, also Hail of Stone may be a viable alternative.
Water - Cloudburst??

For all of them having animate X as an at will and reduced concentration requirements may be a decent choice as well.

maybe these lists aren't as skimpy as I thought:
Code: [Select]
class 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Beguiler 7 15 19 20 10 11 8 8 8 6
Dread Necro 0 12 12 8 13 15 9 7 4 5
Warmage 4 13 11 10 12 7 8 8 7 6
This is just counting what is on their list and not evaluating the power of each spell or expanding the list through feats/class abilities.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:42:24 AM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #488 on: August 27, 2010, 11:40:43 AM »
Aha! Fire Wings, thats the flight spell, and earthbolt is in complete arcane right with it. Wujen is cool about having spells already spaced out.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #489 on: August 27, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
You know, I didn't even think to look in CArc under Wu Jen, because I was thinking that all of those spells were in the SC.  Now I have another book to pour through.

Now that I think about it, isn't there a picture of a guy wearing yellow and green punching the ground casting Earthbolt?  It sounds familiar.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #490 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
Yeah, I didn't do a direct comparison to the existing three classes, but I was aiming for roughly 10-15 spells per level at the lower levels, and less at the higher levels.  I still feel these guys are lacking at about 7th level and up.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #491 on: August 27, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
Yeah, I didn't do a direct comparison to the existing three classes, but I was aiming for roughly 10-15 spells per level at the lower levels, and less at the higher levels.  I still feel these guys are lacking at about 7th level and up.
I agree with you here. I think it should aim for closer to 15 at low levels and about 10 for the upper levels.

I'm not sure why Air has dispel magic, personally it feels more like water to me, but it is one of those that all of them should probably have IMO. It is a generic remove magic spell that all full casters should have some form of doing.

Since it looks like we are going the DN route (no cantrips) perhaps we should make many of those at wills or Stat mod/day abilities just to give them some extra kick.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #492 on: August 27, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
You know, I didn't even think to look in CArc under Wu Jen, because I was thinking that all of those spells were in the SC.  Now I have another book to pour through.

Now that I think about it, isn't there a picture of a guy wearing yellow and green punching the ground casting Earthbolt?  It sounds familiar.
That was the Wu Jen yes.

I agree with you here. I think it should aim for closer to 15 at low levels and about 10 for the upper levels.

I'm not sure why Air has dispel magic, personally it feels more like water to me, but it is one of those that all of them should probably have IMO. It is a generic remove magic spell that all full casters should have some form of doing.
RE: Dispelling
Fire: Slashing Dispel variant, burn the magic up
Air: Classic Dispel, scatter the magic
Water: Reaving Dispel, move the magic from one place to another
Earth: Dispelling Screen, create a barrier that the magic cannot pass.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #493 on: August 27, 2010, 12:38:21 PM »
I wanted detecting and dispelling magic to be something all casters can do.

I debated on the cantrips, but there were just too few to justify making a separate list.  I can see making Detect Magic at will, either at 1st level, or at least by 3rd.  Alternately, I could create a really small cantrip list, which wouldn't be bad, but it might look funny only having five or so spells when you get 10-15 first level spells.

Perhaps everyone could get Detect Magic, Detect <element>, Read Magic (?), and Prestidigitation, and then each caster would get:

Pyromancer
Light, Dancing Lights, Daze

Hydromancer
Create Water, Purify Food and Drink, Acid Splash

Geomancer
Resistance, Mending, Virtue

Aeromancer
Mage Hand, Guidance, Ghost Sound
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #494 on: August 27, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »
either as a spell of Spl i would love to see fire get fire shuriken. But I just think they are too cool to be left on just Wu Jen and Assassin lists.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #495 on: August 27, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »
I'll agree that all of them should be able to detect and dispel magic, but theres no reason why they'd have to do it all the same way though, hence the suggestions above.
Think the Pyromancer could do with Flare and a fire subbed Acid Splash in place of Light and Daze though they may be less useful.

Something about Detects though, what about making a variation of them were you are not limited to a strict range, but instead give bonuses to spotting the detected substance depending on the intensity?
Functionally, it's not very different, but it provides leeway for concealing magic items on your person and it allows you to use Detect Evil on the giant avatar of Demogorgon a mile away and see "Warning: Most Evil Thing Ever"
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #496 on: August 27, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »
Flare does make more sense than Daze.  I'm not really worried about a fire-subbed Acid Splash/Ray of Frost, because he'll get Produce Flame at will for over double the damage and about five times the range.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #497 on: August 27, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
Point.
Speaking of Flare, one possible alternative for Produce Flame could be basically a light based version of Glitterdust?

Lightbringer You can generate a long sword-like flame from your fingertips as a swift action. This flame can be used as a melee weapon that deals 1d6+CL fire damage on a touch attack and casts bright illumination out to 60ft and shadowy illumination out to 120ft. You do not get your strength bonus to damage with this flame.
As a standard action, you can cause the light to suddenly flare, blinding creatures within 30ft on a failed Reflex save(DC 10+1/2 level + Cha) for 1 round and dazzling all creatures within that radius for 1d4 rounds.
You are immune to the blinding and dazzling effect of your own flare and gain a +4 bonus to saves against [Light] effects.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #498 on: August 27, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
Point.
Speaking of Flare, one possible alternative for Produce Flame could be basically a light based version of Glitterdust?

Lightbringer You can generate a long sword-like flame from your fingertips as a swift action. This flame can be used as a melee weapon that deals 1d6+CL fire damage on a touch attack and casts bright illumination out to 60ft and shadowy illumination out to 120ft. You do not get your strength bonus to damage with this flame.
As a standard action, you can cause the light to suddenly flare, blinding creatures within 30ft on a failed Reflex save(DC 10+1/2 level + Cha) for 1 round and dazzling all creatures within that radius for 1d4 rounds.
You are immune to the blinding and dazzling effect of your own flare and gain a +4 bonus to saves against [Light] effects.
Nerfing it is definitely a good idea.  The thought had occurred to me to put Glitterdust on the pyro list (and it is my favorite spell), but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  No one would ever cast Scorching Ray!

Of course, balancing Glitterdust would go a long way, too.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #499 on: August 27, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »
I meant sorta as a shopping cart, you could pick up Produce Flame(which was Ranged and Melee and Light Source), Lightbringer(as melee weapon and a flare in a radius and a light), modified Control Flame(which did neither, but allowed for making use of existing fire sources and causing napalm-like fires) or a cone blast of flame at first level.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]