Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 108763 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: OOC Chat
« Reply #400 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
And done, downgraded the armor enhancement back to masterwork and sold the stench stone off to get gloves of dex +2. This leaves AC more or less the same but everything else is nicer.
For at will and at minutes, I think anything short of outright closet troll(i.e. bar brawl) would be fair to have it always on.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
For at will and at minutes, I think anything short of outright closet troll(i.e. bar brawl) would be fair to have it always on.
That makes sense to me.

What do you guys think about Tempest?  Should that be one minute per level?  I guess it wouldn't break the game.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
Probably not, though a 50% miss chance is probably a bad idea in general, existing spells do about as bad.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #403 on: July 20, 2010, 12:55:06 PM »
Are you suggesting a flat 20% that applies against all types of attacks, and nix the natural armor bonus?

Although, unless I fluff the tempest as kicking up debris (thus obscuring vision), it makes little sense why it would block rays or large projectiles.  Should I just copy the Pyro/Hydro version, fluff it with debris and call it a day?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #404 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:31 PM »
Well, I'd personally have made it an AC bonus, but then it wouldn't be competitive with similar spells(which can and do grant such miss chances). 20% would be saner though, crippling, but not an entire waste of effort.
I think even the fog/smoke versions shouldn't apply to large projectiles though(assuming you mean siege weapon grade here, not thrown large weapons), as they target your whole square anyway.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #405 on: July 20, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
Good point.  I figure I should run this by archangel.arcanis, as it affects his character.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #406 on: July 20, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »
I'm fine with changing it from 50 to 20% miss chance. I don't see this coming into play often, but my previous DMs almost never used archers (everything was a melee brute and rarely did we deal with a good spellcaster). The alternative is to scale the % with level. Say 10% +2% per level. That would start off weaker than a flat 20% but grow into the 50% at lvl 20.

What is the bonus to AC going to be? Originally it was a deflection, now it is a nat armor or AC bonus. The bonus type is only important in determining what it will stack with and if it changes touch attacks or not. I see deflection as fine but the other 2 don'e make much sense IMO. The only other bonus types I could see it being would be circumstance or dodge (moving the target rather than ones self in this case).
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #407 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
Well, just for consistency purposes, I was thinking about making it a flat 20% miss chance for one minute per level.  No AC bonus or grapple bonus.  That would make it the same as the Hydro and Pyro abilities.  But maybe that's too boring.

The point is: if those two classes get 20% miss chance for a minute per level, then I either need to give the Aeromancer the same, or give him something better that's one round per level (so it might not last all combat, and will take an action to activate).  Which would you prefer?

Also, how about changing the Pyro and Hydro version to 24 hour duration?  Once it's one minute per level at will, it seems stupid to make you keep using it every four minutes.  It will seldom affect combat.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #408 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:59 AM »
I think you guys are ready.

Archangel, how does this sound for Tempest, at least for the time being:

20% concealment against ranged attacks (but not rays or large projectiles).

+1 natural AC boost, +1 every 6 levels (+4 at 18th)

CL boost against grapple checks when trying to escape/break/defend.

Duration: one minute pre level.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »
The only part of it I would question is why Natural armor? If it is because you don't want it applying to touch attacks then we can find something else but Natural Armor doesn't make any sense to me.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
I'd personally thought Deflection would make the most sense.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
It doesn't make any sense.  Deflection is a better fit.

Feel free to change any items if this matters.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #412 on: July 22, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »
No prob boss.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #413 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
Before I forget:

It was informally mentioned, but do we want to assume that unless you're in some social situation or sleeping, that the Hydro/Pyro/Aero all have up Cloak of Fog/Smoke Veil/Tempest at all times as they're at will and the duration is 4 minutes?

I'm fine with that, although it could also make sneaking more difficult.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »
Unless specified otherwise, you can assume that here.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #415 on: July 22, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »
Not late to the party at all! +1 str, updated my HD 4+con, got my BOSS ASS AT-WILL CONE BLASTY THINGY, and dealt with my bling, which is now fairly nice instead of janky as hell.

Reeeeally wish the exotic weapons in races of stone gave martial racial proficiency; I'd pick up a stone-headed dwarven warpike faster than hell. Reach, trip, 2d6, slash and piercing, x3 crit... it's like my waraxe, except gooder.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #416 on: July 22, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »
Not late to the party at all! +1 str, updated my HD 4+con, got my BOSS ASS AT-WILL CONE BLASTY THINGY, and dealt with my bling, which is now fairly nice instead of janky as hell.

Reeeeally wish the exotic weapons in races of stone gave martial racial proficiency; I'd pick up a stone-headed dwarven warpike faster than hell. Reach, trip, 2d6, slash and piercing, x3 crit... it's like my waraxe, except gooder.

"gooder" isn't a word. :P

Anyway, isn't there that feat that grants all racial-named weapons as martial proficiencies, or something? I'm AFB right now...

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2010, 07:49:31 PM »
Haha, actually a call out from a friends (intentionally) ironic graduating speech, mainly thanking the lit teacher he'd fought with incessantly. I like using it in the hopes that someday it will be accepted.  :P

And yeah, there may be; I know there's a dwarven armor proficiency feat...

Anyway, locked and loaded, and barely altered whatsoever! Yay, the life of a tank early game! So venn, wanna combo ourselves, whichever goes first (aka, always you  :p) spikes, I run up and lava, we get both our debuffs in the first round? Or the reverse, just throwing it out there.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2010, 12:28:48 AM »
Haha, actually a call out from a friends (intentionally) ironic graduating speech, mainly thanking the lit teacher he'd fought with incessantly. I like using it in the hopes that someday it will be accepted.  :P

And yeah, there may be; I know there's a dwarven armor proficiency feat...

Anyway, locked and loaded, and barely altered whatsoever! Yay, the life of a tank early game! So venn, wanna combo ourselves, whichever goes first (aka, always you  :p) spikes, I run up and lava, we get both our debuffs in the first round? Or the reverse, just throwing it out there.

It depends on the situation. Spikes may not always be that useful. If only halves their speed and prevents charging, so it's good against brutes. skirmishers and ranged folk are hampered, but usually have much higher reflex saves, so it's harder to catch them with it.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
I'm hoping spikes will still be useful enough to be used some of the time, and don't just waste space on the character sheet.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]