Author Topic: Soulbows and combining ranged feats  (Read 6261 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Soulbows and combining ranged feats
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
If you use the +1 equivalent enhancement bonus on the Lucky ability, does that let you reroll every missed attack with a mind arrow once? Each one gets one use per day, but you use a new mind arrow for each attack. It could be quite useful.
That is the case, which is why every single Soulbow I build gets that as alomst a permanant property on their mind arrows.
that's dumb but awesome.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 11:41:19 PM »
If you use the +1 equivalent enhancement bonus on the Lucky ability, does that let you reroll every missed attack with a mind arrow once? Each one gets one use per day, but you use a new mind arrow for each attack. It could be quite useful.
That is the case, which is why every single Soulbow I build gets that as alomst a permanant property on their mind arrows.
that's dumb but awesome.
It makes Soulbows a lot more accurate than people realize.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 02:46:42 AM »
There is no actual bow that manifests just an arrow that gets shot at a target. you can actualy wield things in your off hand there for the size of the bow doesn't matter.

i do happen to be perfectly aware of that point, however...

size does matter, size always matters. in this case, if one reads the fine print, it says that the arrow is manifested as if shot from a long bow. if one was able to use the shape mind blade ability to change the size of the virtual bow, then ones damage should increase or decrease. alternately, if it only changed the size of the arrow (perhaps a more valid interpretation if one was even inclined to allow it) it may not make much of any difference, except visual... which might be made to matter if one is clever.

darn it... now i'll have to reread the lucky mod too. i think my dm would start throwing things at me if i tried it, but oh well. =D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:48:32 AM by nijineko »
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 05:06:19 AM »
O.O  You have got to be joking!  That can't be correct!  But upon checking the rules for mind arrow enhancements it seems to be accurate.  I totally dismissed it as a viable enhancement.  Now it's #1 on my priority.  I had originally planned human bane or a energy enhancement.

Double thanks!!

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 03:00:48 AM »
question... lucky seems to only be listed as a melee enhancement... i can see where this could work once-per-day-per-new-manifestation of a thrown mind blade... or maybe i'm just too lazy to go back and reread the thread to see, but how can this be made to apply to mind arrows again?
Never game alone again!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
question... lucky seems to only be listed as a melee enhancement... i can see where this could work once-per-day-per-new-manifestation of a thrown mind blade... or maybe i'm just too lazy to go back and reread the thread to see, but how can this be made to apply to mind arrows again?
Well, there are a couple of reasons.

1. Lucky is not limited in the text to being melee-only.
2. Lucky is on the list of weapon qualities Soulbows can use.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 04:00:18 AM »
ahah, found it. in the psionics handbook, it is limited to only melee weapons (at least according to the tables, for what that's worth...) but in the soulbow descriptives, it is explicitly listed as available. thanks!
Never game alone again!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
ahah, found it. in the psionics handbook, it is limited to only melee weapons (at least according to the tables, for what that's worth...) but in the soulbow descriptives, it is explicitly listed as available. thanks!
Text trumps table and the text has no limiting language.  Lucky ranged weapons have always been legal, they're just not on the random treasure tables.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 02:55:12 AM »
so it does... =D thanks again. i'll remember to point that out to the dm if it becomes an issue. my one dm said, "well, it may technically be legal, but there's no way i'd allow that into most of my campaigns..." i haven't put it up to the other one yet... but i already know what he'd say... "sure, go right ahead and do that... (evil grin)" he's of the school of giving players enough rope to hang themselves with.
Never game alone again!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
One way or another, Soulbows are pretty clearly able to use it.

Now, does anyone have a clue why Returning is on the list?  It's 100% useless for a Soulbow.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »

Now, does anyone have a clue why Returning is on the list?  It's 100% useless for a Soulbow.

WotC has fish sticks for brains.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »
Is it just me or would bloodstorm blade work really well for a soulknife?

Soulknife/bloodstorm blade with Item Familiar (Mind Blade) could be rather nasty. If you could work soulbow into gestalt, that'd be even better/worse.

WotC has fish sticks for brains.
Recycled fish sticks, you mean.

And yes, that is what I mean.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »
Is the mind blade you shape the same one everytime? If not then Item Familiar would be awkward.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »
Is it just me or would bloodstorm blade work really well for a soulknife?

Soulknife/bloodstorm blade with Item Familiar (Mind Blade) could be rather nasty. If you could work soulbow into gestalt, that'd be even better/worse.
You would need Item Familiar (Mau-Jehe).  Item Familiar requires a market value of at least 2,000 gp, which your typical mind blade doesn't have.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
Is the mind blade you shape the same one everytime? If not then Item Familiar would be awkward.
And if it is, then Lucky abuse doesn't work.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »
And if it is, then Lucky abuse doesn't work.
Lucky abuse does work on the Soulbow, though, as it explicitly states that it is a new arrow for each attack.  I've never bothered with it on a Mind Blade because I always assumed it was the same one every time.  It may not be, but it's a gray area that I just don't care about.

And as I pointed out, you can't have Item Familiar (Mind Blade) because a Mind Blade has no market value, so it's all a moot point.  Mau-Jehe is a weapon of legacy that fits the criteria, however, and can become your mind blade.  In this case it's pretty clear that it's the same weapon each time you manifest it unless you choose otherwise.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]