Author Topic: Need help with Monk Build  (Read 1206 times)

Aemon

• Monkey bussiness
Need help with Monk Build
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
So I need some help coming up with a good build for my monk to follow.
I'm currently a level 4 monk, race: Catfolk (not exactly, but close enough)
Str 13
Dex 19
Con 12
Int 8
Wis 20
Cha 11

Fort/Ref/Will: 5/8/9
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Intuitive Strike, Ability Focus: Stunning Fist, Pain Touch, and Throw Anything ('cause my DM's letting me literally throw anything).
I'm also not limited to exalted feats for my Vow of Poverty bonus feats.
The game is a low magic setting, very house-ruled and no Psionics are allowed, we're also very likely going up to only level 14-15 before the campaign ends.

I just leveled up and I'm trying to decide if I should stay with the monk or splash another class(es) or go for a PrC (or both).
Pretty much anything is open, I just have to ask my DM first and hope he approves it.
I've been looking into the Enlightened Fist or Sacred Fist PrCs I like the ideas of giving my guy some magic to help augment his capabilities (he's not all that hot in combat as is) and Using something like wraithstrike, or buffs seems like a good idea, I'm leaning more towards Sacred Fist since my Int and Cha are rather bad, though in a few levels I'll be getting VoP ability bonuses so I can fix that if need be.
any other PrCs that you can recommend are good too (or specific builds)
I'd like to stay within the realm of monk-like classes (i.e. no druid or something) because otherwise it wouldn't fit RP-wise and my DM would not go for it (and I'd like to make it fit with my character and not just straight up minmax only) spellcasters are okay, as I can make 'em fit with my character fluff-wise, so are probably most prestige classes.

Essentially my character is a human fighter (feat wise) with less BAB, and HD but with monk abilities and saves so I'm looking to the internets to help me augment him I have pretty much any book out there so don't hold back (well please keep it to 3.5 maybe 3.0 if need be) I don't have any Dragon Mags but if you tell me enough about it I can still try and see if my DM'd go for it.

Combat-wise I'm trying to go for a more mobile fighting type of character, I can get Pounce feats (but the only one I know of offhand requires my opponents to be caught flatfooted, is there a way to make me more able to do that?)
I'd appreciate any advice for what to take for 5th level classes and later as well as feats as trying to sort through the mass of information out there on my own is starting to become overwhelming.

Basically what I'm looking for here is any good ideas for class builds and feats.
and any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Need help with Monk Build
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »
I would recommend switching to swordsage (ToB) levels as soon a you can. Using the unarmed variant you should get the same damage progression for your unarmed strikes and you would get a wide range of additional abilities that will help you be viable in combat and keep you alive. It also has a very monk friendly flavor and nice wisdom synergy. You would end up with wis twice to AC as well. You should check out this guide for additional advice.