Author Topic: Looking for Balanced Class  (Read 7516 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Looking for Balanced Class
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
Update: Dragon and LA allowed
Stats rolled 11, 13, 14, 14, 14, 18

Would I be better off just making a gish if I want to melee, perhaps an ardent/slayer?
WHAT. THE. FUCK. ToB is banned but he's allowing Dragon Magazine?
Seconded.

Play a Magic-Blooded (free +2 cha) umm... You know I forgot. It's the race whose rules don't allow players to use it but the table entry lists LA and grants your cha bonus as a penalty to anyone saves against you. Go ice caster, that is dragon blooded sorcerer with snowcasting, draconic aura, cold focus, etc. and worship an elder evil. Nothing like an effective save DC of 40ish with a dominate spell.

Also, go Anima Mage just to geass his prized BBEG shortly before burning his notes and walking out.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »

Play a Magic-Blooded (free +2 cha) umm... You know I forgot. It's the race whose rules don't allow players to use it but the table entry lists LA and grants your cha bonus as a penalty to anyone saves against you.
Unseelie Fey.

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
I'm having trouble choosing the right feats for my Incarnate:

1.?????
1.<Azurin Bonus>?????
3.??????
6.Bonus Essentia
9.Double Chakra(???)(not sure if there's anything worth having double of for LN)

Bonus Essentia is obvious, double chakra arms maybe, not sure what to do with the first 3 feats, maybe grab ones that grant a point of essentia like Cobalt Power?

Since Binding soulmelds takes up slots for magic items I was thinking of grabbing a Belt of Magnificence to save space.  Good Idea?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:57:42 PM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
 Expanded Soulmeld capacity is worth it most of the time. What exactly do you want your character to be able to do as an incarnate. What feats you pick depends very heavily on this.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
Wild Talent and Psycarnum Infusion.  Trust me, you want these.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »
Wild Talent and Psycarnum Infusion.  Trust me, you want these.

Very good point there. You could even get infinite healing very easily with the addition of healing soul. Which given the mentioned lethality of the campaign would be very useful.

xeno121

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 02:26:33 AM »
I want my Incarnate to hit things with a sword and make them die.  I think power attack may be useful, but I'm not entirely sure where most of my damage is supposed to come from, the only damaging soulmelds that effect my attack as far as I have seen was Lightning Gauntlets.
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 02:52:17 AM »
Power attack may not be the best choice given the low BAB of the incarnate class but it is one of your better options unfortunately. You could probably do well by taking 3 levels of cleric and then going into sapphire hierarch because the various buffing spells will greatly enhance your character melee abilities. The requirements are easy to meet as well. But from a pure incarnate point of view there are a few soulmelds that add to melee damage. Incarnate avatar adds to your to hit, bluesteel bracers and lucky dice adds to damage, vitality belt will be essential if you are going to fight in melee, soulspark familiar is good at giving your characters a friend to assist your throughout the day which will up your effective damage, mantle of flame helps dissuade enemies from hitting you, Astral vambraces will give you good low level survivability and will be good against animals and similar creatures without magic weapons (and power attack if you bind it to your arms), fellmist robes provide nice miss chance, airstep sandals provide unparalleled low level maneuverability, dissolving spittle is a very good attack option due to high damage and being a touch attack. You will have an amazing to hit as a lawful neutral incarnate but adding to melee damage you are going to have issues, you would be much better off with a totemist or an evil incarnate for pure melee. Incarnates tend to be better at survival (they make very nice tanks), skill use, and mobility.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:56:57 AM by Havok4 »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2010, 02:55:49 AM »
Sorry, double post.

xeno121

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »
well.........crap, then what's good melee, I'm in a party with a Frenzied Berserker and seeing as after reading on the Incarnate more and wasting time building one it's not what I think I want.  

What's the next best melee solution without Tome of Battle?

Or should I just be a wizard and abuse polymorph and alter self to melee?

Perhaps Druid?

I want to be a melee class that destroys the Tome of Battle damage potential to illustrate that it's not OP.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:27:54 AM by xeno121 »

ShneekeyTheLost

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »
grapple wizard??

octopus familiar from stormwrack i believe, imp. grapple, and eventually polymorph and the greater versions of it. Now you can out grapple even the biggest and strongest of monsters by being bigger and stronger, plus you get spells too  :bigeye
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »
Destroy the damage potential of ToB?

Ubercharger barbarian.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
Totemists are very good at melee and they use incarnum as well. They also multiclass well with barbarian due to totem rager. Really, look up the handbooks on this site for the class.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
Thing with the barbarian is it's capable of insane damage, is core, and doesn't take much optimization to pull out enemy-ending charging (pouncing or no).

If he thinks 8d6 + 21 damage is too much, wait until he sees the 1d12+586 you can pull out with your charges.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]