Author Topic: That one thing you want to play.  (Read 22679 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: That one thing you want to play.
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2010, 04:16:49 AM »
Honestly, being a warshaper and just having really awesome fists is probably your best bet.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2010, 08:16:08 PM »
This.

A character visible from space*.

(I'd assume, anyway, he's ten times taller and 25 times wider than the great wall of china)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2010, 11:03:34 PM »
This.

(I'd assume, anyway, he's ten times taller and 25 times wider than the great wall of china)
Quote from: Aktariel
Colossal+++++ : wielding my own Colossal+ sized dick as a natural weapon.
Quote from: Prak_Anima
It's time to talk about the feat 11 Testicles and wielding your own adamantine colossal+ cock.
And then when you die, your already indestructible adamantine cock can be your monument. It's 128' tall, for fuck's sake.
:lol :lmao :lol :lmao :lol :lmao :lol Dude, this has won the thread.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2010, 11:17:41 PM »
This.

It's time to talk about the feat 11 Testicles and wielding your own adamantine colossal+ cock.
And then when you die, your already indestructible adamantine cock can be your monument. It's 128' tall, for fuck's sake.

jesus, come to think of it, the character's dick might be visible from space...

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2010, 11:29:30 PM »
This.

jesus, come to think of it, the character's dick might be visible from space...
Can we call the build Bill?  :P

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »
I've already dubbed it Big McFuckton

oh god... I just thought of something... you argue for your cohort to be your dick, and use the same type of build, just only up to Colossal+
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:03:18 AM by Prak, the Mad »

generaltwig

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2010, 05:14:58 AM »
Our group recently changed from 2nd ed to v3.5 and I really wanted to play a Blade (the bard kit with focus on sword-work rather than music which I've been playing in 2nd ed). Unfortunately 3.5 doesnt offer an exact alternative and I hoped you more seasoned 3.5 players could offer some insight!

The route i'm considering is to aim for the Dervish prestige class to enjoy twin scimitar dervish dancing. But on the way i'm not sure what's the optimal path.

My current/starting build is a 3rd level swashbuckler fighting with two shortswords. (STR 17, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 10, CHA 16) Now where should I go with this?
Options as I see it are:

a) take Fighter levels for the next 2 levels (to get the extra bonus feats) and take the Daring Warrior feat (complete Scoundral p76) would still need to get at least level 5 Swashbuckler to enjoy the dodge bonus though. before going Dervish..

b) Stick with straight swashbuckler and then take Dervish. (But i'd be too low on feats until Swashbuckler level 8 when i got my 2nd character level feat, is that right?)

c) but why bother with swashbuckler at all? His two seemingly cool early features are Insightful strike (+ Int modifier to damage) and Weapon Finese (+ dex modifier to hit roll instead of Str). But isnt it better to just keep pumping Strength as you level which adds to both? Or are the extra skills from Int and the extra AC from Dex worth splitting focus to those 2 Attributes?

I'm new to 3.5 and dont know how things pan out as you go...

d) Then I came across the Scout class and started thinking: should I aim to get some Scout levels in there to use the skirmish ability for extra Damage? (Though how effective would this be seeing I really really want to keep using two swords so wouldnt be able to make full round attacks with them and also fulfill the 10 foot movement requirement to use skirmish each round?)

So the overall question i guess is for ideas on how to optimize a character to fight fast and deadly with two swords.

Also open to the idea of a perhaps simpler build of Swashbuckler crossed with some form of spellcaster which can cast lots of combat effective buffs and which would both use Int modifier (for Insightful strike and spells). Maybe a Swashbuckler-Warmage?

I'd be very grateful for any ideas on builds as i'm drowning in the amount of options/classes/feats available in the wealth of v3.5 rulebooks!

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2010, 05:24:20 AM »
A + B) Don'tbother with the fighter + Daring warrior combo; I know people love it, but I just don't think it justifies crappy skills and one extra feat (technically two frin fighter 2, but then one has to go into daring warrior...). I'd go Swashbuckler / Rogue with daring outlaw to get some sneak attack dice, make that TWFing worthwhile. That'll get you nicer skills, some sweet abilities, all that jazz. Maybe 3 / 3, go into the Dervish. Remember, TWFing without a source of extra damage (like sneak attack) really isn't so sweet.

C) Dex and Int are easier to apply things to, apply to more of your skills, and are simply more mixable. Plus, str goes to attack/damage, a few skills, and nothing more; int and dex are much more useful, and I'd drop str to a 10 or so, knock cha down to 14, and pump up your int score. That's just my bias, thoughl if you want to play a stronger fighter, and not the quick and calculated, light fighter, that's your choice and a fine one to build on. As is, I'd go with the above, but it's really about what you want to play; you can make almost any idea work for you in the end.

D) Scout is nice, but if you wanted to max that out, go with some ranger levels and make a skirmishing dervish build. Like sneak attack, but as if it were meant for the want-to-move dervish; most thematic and mechanically pleasant option, not hard to pull off either. Check out the ranger or scout handbooks for more info on the ranger/scout combo.

And yes, an intelligence based swashbuckler or warblade with wizard (or an int based caster) thrown on is a friggin amazing gish. Remember to not take too much of the melee, cause if you're gonna go spells, make them rock.

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Rape is never funny...unless your raping a clown.
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2010, 07:34:35 PM »
I would like to play as a Rogue/Disciple of Baalzebul, take feats to bolster my ability to bluff, and convince every NPC (and PC) I come into contact with that I have "the singular and unique ability to negate the existance of the universe; through a great feat of my own will and energy I am able to blink out all that is, was, and will be... but i can only use this ability once."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
Probably ought to be a magic user for that.  Get Glibness onto your spell list for the +30 Bluff boost, demonstrate the Locate City nuke to make it seem plausible, then tell your lie.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »
Probably ought to be a magic user for that.  Get Glibness onto your spell list for the +30 Bluff boost, demonstrate the Locate City nuke to make it seem plausible, then tell your lie.

Good call on Glib; prob wouldn't do the locate nuke though.  I really want the character to pose no real threat to anyone (Bard's are perfect at that) and have the only real form of influence/threat/control that the character can exert over others be centered entirely around the lie.

...once you convince the local people you can destroy the universe...they tend to do what you want.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2010, 11:50:28 PM »
Oh, you wanted to be all bark and no bite?  I figured you just wanted to scare the hell out of people that are immune to fear and therefore intimidate checks.

Bard can do that, although they don't have to be lacking in fangs if you don't want them to be.  Beguiler's another good choice, they're more about screwing with people than actually hurting them.  Either one can cast Glibness without needing to import it to their spell list from elsewhere.  Illusions to make it seem like you've created some fairly massive (but puny in comparison to destroying the universe) property damage can help out a lot with your plausibility, and cut down on the NPCs' Sense Motive bonus for completely unbelievable lies.

An item familiar could boost your bluff bonus by a lot, and bard and beguiler both get enough skill points that investing in it shouldn't be a hardship.  You might also want to look into marshal and draconic auras for further boosting.  Skill Focus and Persuasive are both terrible feats to invest in, but if you can get custom magic items built that grant them to the possessor, those could also provide some help.

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2010, 12:02:30 AM »
Unfortunately skill focus is going to have to work (in conjunction w/ Glibness) because im hoping to do this at a relatively low level.  And yes; all bark no bite is the best way to put it.  This is entirely for roleplaying funnsies; if he can actually help the party out in combat or other situations is not too much of a concern.
Item Familiar seems really useful; but it might be something that isn't going to be impactfull until later levels.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2010, 12:07:24 AM »
Well yeah, an additional +6 at level 3 isn't too impressive, it's the additional +13 at level 10, or +23 at level 20, which is impressive.  Still, it's a very useful resource for anyone that depends heavily on a skill check to function, especially because of its ability to grow up with you (compared to, say, a flat +5 at level 1 that never gets any better).

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »
you could also dip a level of warlock and pick up an invocation that gives +6 to bluff, diplomacy and intimidate.

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
My list of future things to play (how could you just have one???)

• Beholder Mage:  The ultimate spellcaster.  Learn spells like a wizard.  Cast them as a Sorcerer.  Oh, by 10th level, cast 10 of them per round.  Yes, please.
  • Dark Feral Wererat Feat Rogue / Swashbuckler /  Sneak Attack Fighter // Swordsage:  What are we going to do tonight, Brain?  We're going to do what we do every night, Pinky.  We're going to Rule the World.
  • Swordsage // Warblade:  Very simplistic build, but lots of fun to play.  Take mostly boosts with swordsage and strikes with Warblade.  Yumm.
  • Clay Half-Golem Half-Giant Psychic Warrior:  Just seems fun to me to wade through a mage's spells and then rip them to shreds.

If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
Mine lean more towards systems:
nWoD Mage
nWoD Changeling
Pathfinder(just to feel how the changes went)
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2010, 03:30:12 AM »
A gestalt Beguiler 1/Shadowcaster(Developer's fix)3//Noctumancer 10/Mystic Theurge//Warlock. Decent anti-caster, and possibly gish-like.
The shadowscaster gets little love, there isn't even a handbook on it here, and we have a handbook on deleted threads.

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:04 PM »
Besides the idea I posted before; A Sorceror/Swiftblade would be a lot of fun.  I've played one at lower levels but didn't get a chance to experience the cool abilities you get later on.  I did NPC one as an encounter in a campaign, the 'Perpetual Options' ability is just crazy fun.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »
A warlock with Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike.

...who is also a fiend of possession inhabiting a swordsage/totemist with Superior Unarmed Strike and greater mighty wallop.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:49:24 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]