Author Topic: Getting Permanent 'Pets' and Allies  (Read 10291 times)

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Re: Getting Permanent 'Pets' and Allies
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »
I'm sure taking over a Cannith creation forge would work. But it is setting specific.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
Pale Master (level 10) Deathless Master's Touch.  Creates zombies up to one size category larger than you.  Does not count towards your HD total for controlling undead.

Hirelings.   Paid NPCs are only as permanent as their paycheck is steady.

The title is permanents 'pets' and allies. i have a question:

what is the difference?
  If you were my ally, would you be offended if I kept calling you "My pet".   ;)

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I am getting into some fun stuff with pets here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8088.40

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »
For characters following the exalted way:
Valiant steed: pegasus or unicorn for 1 year
Cry of Ysgard: 4 bariaur lvl 6 rangers for one year
Call faithful servants: 2HD's of lantern archons, coure eladrins or musteval guardinals per caster lvl for one year - at lvl 20, have 40 incorporal lantern archon's with each 2 touch attacks that overcome every damage reduction.

(all are spells from BoED)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
There are also all the affiliations, that grant "allies" and sometimes even give you people to follow you and help a bit.

Oh, and if you want Slaves, it's hard to beat having an adventuring party of your own.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
The Master's Voice feat allow one to gain control of mindless constructs and undead using repeated UMD checks.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »
The Master's Voice feat allow one to gain control of mindless constructs and undead using repeated UMD checks.

The issue with this is that you would need to be able to constantly make a DC 10+HD check for the construct or undead which requires you have a means of containing your minions when you sleep or you do not need to sleep, like if you are a warforged. It would work well if you have some means of taking 10 on UMD checks.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »
Havok4: Alternatively, use custom items of UMD or guidance of the avatar to ensure you auto-pass.  A natural 1 isn't an auto-failure.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 01:02:51 AM »
I know that, and guidance of the avatar would not really work as you need to make a check each round. Not having a means of taking 10 or similar limits you to your UMD modifier -9 HD creatures. But there is no limit to how many of these you can have.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »
I know that, and guidance of the avatar would not really work as you need to make a check each round. Not having a means of taking 10 or similar limits you to your UMD modifier -9 HD creatures. But there is no limit to how many of these you can have.
That's why he said custom items of UMD as the other option. After all +30 UMD goes a long way. Also the simple way to take 10 on UMD checks is be an artificer. :D

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
That's why he said custom items of UMD as the other option. After all +30 UMD goes a long way. Also the simple way to take 10 on UMD checks is be an artificer. :D
Or warlock, this might actually make a warlock a more viable character at around level 6.

oni5115

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 01:44:12 AM »

* casts level 1 Thread Necromancy *

What source is this from?  Searching the WotC Feat index turns up nothing.  Searching these forums didn't find anything.  Not even GOOGLE!  ???

But it sounds so awesome for a warlock.  :D

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 02:06:03 AM »

* casts level 1 Thread Necromancy *

What source is this from?  Searching the WotC Feat index turns up nothing.  Searching these forums didn't find anything.  Not even GOOGLE!  ???

But it sounds so awesome for a warlock.  :D

Dragon magazine... 354, IIRC. The one with wedded to history at any rate
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
Surreal came so soooo close to calling himself a "pimp"

... that I suppose I should due (not do) him the honors.

:D

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »
Off hand, I have no access to the original NanoBots thread ...

but iirc LoP had quite a few ways of getting the giant pile of little helpers going.

Anybody have that thread or location ?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »

but iirc LoP had quite a few ways of getting the giant pile of little helpers going.

is this what you're looking for?

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

oni5115

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 10:54:09 AM »
Thanks Mad Linguist, and wow... if I ever play an artificer... nanobots go!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »

is this what you're looking for?

Yes exactly ... and oops.

It's not like I couldn't have found it, rather it's that I didn't find it.
nanobots + conquer = memory tag

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
Mistling fey: create living spells that last 8 hours.

Gotta bump this since I had the same idea. Sure having a pet wings of flurry is awsome but are there any lower level spells to abuse through free heightens and caster level loops? I'd also like to turn the bloodwar gauntlets into a living spell but that is certainly a dm call.

AtomicKitKat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Wasn't the Effigy Master able to make all sorts of pets without worrying about HD limits? I'm going to make a bunch of Zombie Effigies, and laugh as the Cleric crumples into a heap screaming "WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME, O LORD?" when his Turn Undead fails.

Ahh yes, the Necrotic Tumour line of spells. One of the Evil Overlord's necessary tools. Infinite range destruction of anyone who steps out of line.