Author Topic: Aristocrat as a PC class  (Read 2507 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Aristocrat as a PC class
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
Can't remember if I've done this before. The basic idea is: Leadership is pretty broken, right? And the aristocrat class is Tier 6. So maybe if they're combined, and given some extra features you'll get something playable. (Naturally, the standard Leadership feat is banned if this class is allowed)

Maybe the ability to gain multiple cohorts, to use Bardic Music, or to gain any magic item.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Aristocrat as a PC class
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:15:26 AM »
(Work in progress)

Lv        Class Features
1Reputation
2-
3Cohort
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-

Followers: An aristocrat has a number of NPC followers. Most of these followers are non-combatants and are required for the maintenance of the aristocrat's holdings - thus they will not accompany the aristocrat on adventures. However, as he gains levels

Attain item:

Skill focus (Diplomacy):

Request skill check:

Inspiration:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:25:15 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:22:52 PM »
There is also a Noble class in the DragonLance campaign book pg 50-51. You might want to look at it as well for ideas. In particular the ability to call in favors is kinda nice at times, helps as a catch all to get info or supplies kinda like bardic knowledge does for knowledge checks.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
Minor spell casting would not be to out of line would it? Like level 3 or 4 spells nothing higher and only minor blasting, heavy on deception, okay protection, charisma based of course.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:16:26 PM »
Minor spell casting would not be to out of line would it? Like level 3 or 4 spells nothing higher and only minor blasting, heavy on deception, okay protection, charisma based of course.
Well, maybe some way to avoid having your mind read...

See Kubota from OotS, though he had levels in a PrC with "aristocrat-friendly prereqs".
My work

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:36:03 AM »
I'm not sure Aristocrats should get spellcasting, even if limited. Maybe other types of Supernatural abilities that reproduce the effects of certain spells, but you'd have to select them fairly carefully. Focus on influencing others, through deception, diplomacy, inspiration, etc.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:21:10 AM »
Well, you could probably fold in some of the warlord's aura-type stuff if hes going to rely on his retinue to do the butt kicking. Sort of a 'Great Leader' sort.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »
Hmm.  Look in my signature at Sam.

Some example class features:
  • bonus feat every 4 or 5 levels, which must be chosen from:

Leadership, Improved Cohort, Undead Leadership, Mercantile (can be taken after 1st), Landlord, etc.  (There is some feat that lets you get items as if the size of a city is 1 larger, ...)
  • Level 1 - gets a +1 level bump in "effective" level ... for things related to class feats ... (feats gained through this class - not "normal" feats).  Example (Sam the Aristocrat 12) has an effective level of 13 for the purposes of leadership, landlord, etc.
  • UMD, Diplomacy, Intimidate as class skills

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »
There needs to be a class feature called "Screw the Rules, I've got Money". I have no idea what it would do, but it would fit the theme perfectly.

Alright, now for a serious one.
Diminish Costs (X/2)% and Greater Returns X%
X starts at 10 (DC at level 3, and GR at level four), and goes up 10 every 2 levels.

DC lessens the costs of buying stuff by whatever percent the feature comes out with, ending up at 50% costs
GR raises the selling price of anything you are trying to sell (and/or gain through landlord, for example) by that percent, up to a 100% increase.

Nifty, huh?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing