Author Topic: No System: The Zombie Apocalypse  (Read 2426 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
No System: The Zombie Apocalypse
« on: March 08, 2010, 02:30:06 AM »
Our gaming group recently decided to do a zombie apocalypse game.  Everyone plays as themselves, we have what we have, we live where we live, go.  There's no actual system... we just say what happens and decide from there.  So far we've used our conduit (we have a ton) to cover the windows, along with chip board.  We've created 55 8' spears (made from conduit and dowels) and we're organizing the neighborhood to hold our town and clear it out.  We're training them in using pike hedge tactics and using drums to lure the zombies into our formations.  Also, we've got our chickens and farm going for food (the chickens are kept on the upstairs deck)... and since one of our neighbors has solar power, we're using it to treat water.

Does anyone else have any particularly good ideas we might not have thought of?

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: No System: The Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:59:16 AM »
Yeah.  Rainbarrels.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »
Oh, we've got water handled.  Bathtubs already full, and we've got a guy with solar power down the block who we're using for water treatment.

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
I hope you've got a killing ground cleared, and shallow trenches dug to slow down the zombies.
What kind of weapons you using against em? Traps? Emergency Kill It With Fire system?

If guns, you might want to look into something with ammo you can craft yourself(slings might not be quite as devastating as guns, but if you are down to the metal, they're better than throwing rocks).
If melee, you could use some range.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »
We're using spears made from conduit and dowels and fighting in ranked formation.  We don't use guns against zombies... misses could cause collateral damage and we can't fabricate more bullets.  Besides, spears get the job done really well.  We save our rifles for dealing with survivors that get aggressive.

JaronK

Grollub

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 02:31:06 AM »
What bout using gasoline/ alcohol to make molitov cocktails??

Propane tank to make a makeshift flamethrower??  :D

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 02:41:33 AM »

Not gauranteed to work, and a waste of fuel.

I'd suggest you check out the 1632 tech website - lots of ways of putting together tech using limited resources.
Planetouched Handbook

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:36:31 AM »

Absolutely not.  That could light our town on fire and the fire department is not functional right now.  That would be a terrible idea that would do more damage than most zombies could dream of doing.  And why bother?  A few spear thrusts could do the same thing without all the risk.

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 06:02:59 AM »
Spear staked, deep trenches?
Unless the zombies know how to make bridges or jump, those would make excellent time buyers, especially if you layer multiple wide trenches.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »
Perhaps look to Leiningen versu the Ants for inspiration?
http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lvta.html
Planetouched Handbook

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:51:07 AM »
Spear staked, deep trenches?
Unless the zombies know how to make bridges or jump, those would make excellent time buyers, especially if you layer multiple wide trenches.

We're still in town though, so there's cement roads everywhere and materials are a bit limited.  We are thinking of spiked baracades though, hoping to cause some damage that way.

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »
Well, erect walls and then fill the bits between the walls with spiky stuff.
If you can round up some building materials to make walls they can't just push over anyway.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Eepop

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Eep...Eepop...Eepop Ananamus
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
Sounds like you are safe from the zombies and have basic needs filled. The next concern is protection from other people. Sooner or later you are going to encounter a truck full of mad-max retards that are going to try to take your stuff. You need a good plan for how to handle that and nip it in the bud.

After that, the next thing to really keep in mind is how to recover to a "normal" state. There are two vital points in this:
1) You need to establish some methods for keeping sanity. The "players" are probably fine here as they have their gaming materials. But you need a plan to keep their neighbors sane as well, who are much more likely reliant on TV for entertainment in their "past life".
2) You need to secure a repository of knowledge and safeguard it at all costs. Any apocalypse holds the promise of causing a dark age. If enough knowledge is lost, recovery will be much more difficult. And "we know a guy that knows that" is not enough, it needs to be recorded, lest that person be bitten and that knowledge lost. Knowledge is Power!

All that said, your post was like a month ago, so this probably isn't useful anymore...but just in case someone else does something similar, or you know, we have an actual zombie apocalypse.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »
Also, start securing alternate escape routes. Metro stations work wonders, and so does ports.

Get patrols working and send them out look for survivors that can help you. You'll need to be able to reinforce yours ranks. Also, doctors could prove vital in case of a disease problem.

Next issue would be to get working on a cure, or working on killing all the zombies, you wanna re-establish a state, not just "live" because that probably wont last unless you go to counter the zombies.

Also, make sure you do all the things you need to do without stirring too many zombies, a spear formation might work against 20-40 zombies, but if they come from all sides, I suppose you a screwed if just one of the guys start to leg it.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Also, start securing alternate escape routes. Metro stations work wonders, and so does ports.
Giant Hang Glider!
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]