Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Have At Thee!  (Read 117048 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Have At Thee!
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »
Q42: Does an Ur priest lose anything by voluntarily converting to a god?
bump lol.
his "PC" status?  :shrug
He wouldn't lose anything, really.  Turns out, Ur-Priests have no mechanical limitations against worshipping a god at all, they just can't cast divine spells other than what the PrC grants.
my bad -- I read that totally wrong.  I thought he meant the Ur-priest becoming a god.  oops.

Q 61: If a creature has LA +4 (cohort), does that mean that creature can only be a PC's cohort?
A61
AFAIK, this just indicates that the creature would indeed be suitable as a cohort.

Q62
is there any feat that allows you to use your spell-like abilities more times per day?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:27:21 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2010, 06:28:51 PM »
Q 61: If a creature has LA +4 (cohort), does that mean that creature can only be a PC's cohort?
A61: That is correct. You can always ask your DM to let you ignore it, though. It probably won't break the game in half.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »
bump lol.
He wouldn't lose anything, really.  Turns out, Ur-Priests have no mechanical limitations against worshipping a god at all, they just can't cast divine spells other than what the PrC grants.
my bad -- I read that totally wrong.  I thought he meant the Ur-priest becoming a god.  oops.

A61
AFAIK, this just indicates that the creature would indeed be suitable as a cohort.

Q62
is there any feat that allows you to use your spell-like abilities more times per day?

magic blooded, FRCS(i think). 1/day becomes 3/day. this can potentially be awesome-sauce.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
bump lol.

A61

Q62

magic blooded, FRCS(i think). 1/day becomes 3/day. this can potentially be awesome-sauce.

This only works for racial SLAs, though, and your DM may need to make a call on what 'racial' is. Namely, whether or not inherited templates count.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
bump lol.

A61

Q62

This only works for racial SLAs, though, and your DM may need to make a call on what 'racial' is. Namely, whether or not inherited templates count.
:witsend
thanks.
I was hoping for something for class-granted spell-like abilities.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
Q60 Dealing damage ends a Calm Emotions spell.  However, what if dealing damage delivers the Calm Emotions spell?  Like, say, a living Calm Emotions slams someone.  Would the damage from the slam attack negate the Calm Emotion effect as it comes into play?
Theoretically, since the spell is resolved last, it should probably be treated as having come after the effect, and not before. Therefore, the slam delivering the spell doesn't end it.
Gracias.  And now, another living spell question.  I've got a lot of these.

Q61 Are living spells based on location-targeting spells like Grease and Spike Growth valid?  Would being hit by a living Spike Growth turn the square you're standing on spiky, or would it ruin your day by making you eat the Spike Growth effect everywhere you walk for hours?  ...  Or would it make you spiky and damage anyone who walks on you?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
Q60 Dealing damage ends a Calm Emotions spell.  However, what if dealing damage delivers the Calm Emotions spell?  Like, say, a living Calm Emotions slams someone.  Would the damage from the slam attack negate the Calm Emotion effect as it comes into play?
Theoretically, since the spell is resolved last, it should probably be treated as having come after the effect, and not before. Therefore, the slam delivering the spell doesn't end it.
Gracias.  And now, another living spell question.  I've got a lot of these.

Q61 Are living spells based on location-targeting spells like Grease and Spike Growth valid?  Would being hit by a living Spike Growth turn the square you're standing on spiky, or would it ruin your day by making you eat the Spike Growth effect everywhere you walk for hours?  ...  Or would it make you spiky and damage anyone who walks on you?

A61: The way I understand it, you're affected as though you were inside the area of the spell when you are hit. For example, if you're hit by a Living Grease, you react as though someone had cast Grease underneath you, much like you're affected by a living Cloudkill as though you were inside of a Cloudkill spell. That's my interpretation, anyway.

reganok

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #267 on: March 10, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Q15  When using a Soul Crystal (from the power of the same name) can you add metapsionic feats to the power that was put into it? if so would it be added when the crystal is created by the creator or would it have to be added by the person using the crystal (meaning they would have to have psionic focus, relevant metapsionic feat blah blah etc etc)?

Soul Crystal is in Magic of Incarnum p 107-108

Once more, with feeling!

really, any one have any ideas or have come to some conclusion about this?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #268 on: March 10, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
Q 62
If I combine mistling fey (Forge of War, Eberron) and Magic blooded (see above), What happens If I use the Conjure living spell (sp) ability on the Conjure living spell (sp) ability, Do I get a Living Spell Living Spell, a living living spell, or would something stop this?
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #269 on: March 10, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »
Q 62
If I combine mistling fey (Forge of War, Eberron) and Magic blooded (see above), What happens If I use the Conjure living spell (sp) ability on the Conjure living spell (sp) ability, Do I get a Living Spell Living Spell, a living living spell, or would something stop this?
You can't, since it creates a creature, and living spells can't do that.

There's an argument that the restrictions only apply to spells, not SLAs - in that case the most logical action would be for it to create a living spell out of whatever was possessed by the creature it attacked.  Since living spells have abilities as (su), you don't get runaway replication - sixteen hours later they'll all be gone
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:18:30 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
Bump to next page

Q 56 Anyone come up with a way to make Unholy Toughness an actual feat yet, or is it still just a SA for undead?

Secondary question:
Q 63 What is the adventure path that involves warforged, and what magazines is it in? It mentions the Lord of Blades, there's warforged being ripped apart by a "mentally handicapped" one, etc.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2010, 11:20:35 PM »
Bump to next page

Q 56 Anyone come up with a way to make Unholy Toughness an actual feat yet, or is it still just a SA for undead?

Secondary question:
Q 63 What is the adventure path that involves warforged, and what magazines is it in? It mentions the Lord of Blades, there's warforged being ripped apart by a "mentally handicapped" one, etc.
A56: No official feat, just a special quality for certian undead.

A63: Forge of War, perhaps?  I'm a little short on the Eberron books.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
A56: No official feat, just a special quality for certian undead.

A63: Forge of War, perhaps?  I'm a little short on the Eberron books.
No way yet for all undead to gain it yet, huh?

I'm wondering if I didn't just randomly find it in Dungeon 115. I was actually hoping to find that it was a 1st level campaign, not a 6th. Kind of abolishes that idea.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »
I believe forge of war is actually set during the last war, though I may be mistaken
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
I believe forge of war is actually set during the last war, though I may be mistaken
I wouldn't know.  My only Eberron books are ECS, Races of Eberron, Player's Guide to Eberron, Magic of Eberron, Five Nations, and Explorer's handbook.  Forge of War is just my best guess.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
It is Dungeon 115. Just random luck that I found it. Probably helped that the cover had a picture of a warforged on it.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
Forge of War isn't actually an adventure, just a (mostly) fluff book with ideas for Last War campaigns. The Forgotten Forge is an adventure in the ECS and ties into a series of modules in separate books, so maybe that's what you were thinking of, snakeman.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
Q 43:
by RAW, you can't do that, so that means we get to stretch interpretations anyhow.

first, assume that the item was made by a druid with said feat. second, take the creature you wish to summon, and compare it's challenge rating to the summon nature's ally table.

pick the higher level one.

then, base cost off of a one-use item of that spell.  add greenbound summoning to item pre-req.
or you could do what the creator of that feat intended and add +2 to the spell level :shrug (for the purpose of price simplification, of course)
Even though RAW you can't actually do this, it seems, I think the best option for pricing something like this is probably to base it on Lesser Planar Ally.  You could theoretically get a Half-Fiend Troll, for example, with that spell, so that's probably the best analog to getting a normally non-summonable creature with the Greenbound template.

Sorry to dredge the question back up; this just struck me this morning.

You all think that would be the best option for creating an item like this?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
Q64: If i have a penalty to caster level but nothing else can i still cast my highest level spells even if my new CL is effectively below the minimum class level i would need to be to cast them? Looking at a spellthief with the Mageslayer feat and want to know if that will prevent me from using my own spell slots or if I should take practiced spellcaster to offset it.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
Q 43:
by RAW, you can't do that, so that means we get to stretch interpretations anyhow.

first, assume that the item was made by a druid with said feat. second, take the creature you wish to summon, and compare it's challenge rating to the summon nature's ally table.

pick the higher level one.

then, base cost off of a one-use item of that spell.  add greenbound summoning to item pre-req.
or you could do what the creator of that feat intended and add +2 to the spell level :shrug (for the purpose of price simplification, of course)
Even though RAW you can't actually do this (...)
what's that -- put a metamagic'ed spell in/on an item?
or do you mean use the designer-stated RAI?
hm  :plot ....  :shrug

Q64: If i have a penalty to caster level but nothing else can i still cast my highest level spells even if my new CL is effectively below the minimum class level i would need to be to cast them? Looking at a spellthief with the Mageslayer feat and want to know if that will prevent me from using my own spell slots or if I should take practiced spellcaster to offset it.
A64
AFAIK, I don't think so.  I believe that effective caster level determines what level spell you have access to (unless the effect explicitly states otherwise -- i.e., practiced spellcaster, etc.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:39:32 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt