Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Have At Thee!  (Read 117331 times)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Have At Thee!
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2010, 07:48:22 PM »
He meant Were-Dire Tiger, as in Lycanthrope, I believe.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
Ware Dire Tiger
......eh?
It's a really, really big tiger where you store crates and stuff.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
Like Weretiger only Dire. Not the most optimal race but the game I'm going to play in has odd rules...

Yea spelling fail on my part though

Edit: Actually I think ill probably just make a thread about optimizing the thing...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:00:56 PM by Littha »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »
If you want to buy off your LAs, but only three of them, you can buy them off at 9, 15, and 18. If you're going for all four, then you start at lvl 12, and no sooner. Are are you talking about taking the LAs, and not buying them off at all? Because you could do that as you've got written if you wanted to.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
Q25 Does bloodstorm blade advance initiator level, I know it doesn't grant knew manuvers but, it just seems so out of place.

Only at 1 IL per two levels, just like levels of Fighter or Wizard or Half-Elf Paragon.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Q25 Does bloodstorm blade advance initiator level, I know it doesn't grant knew manuvers but, it just seems so out of place.
Only at 1 IL per two levels, just like levels of Fighter or Wizard or Half-Elf Paragon.
I'm afb, but I'm pretty sure BSB advances at full I'LL, like the other ToB prcs...

Edit: failpoasting from phone for formatfail :(
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:12:19 PM by McPoyo »
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
i was aiming for buying them all off but because I gain them one at a time i thought:

1   1 LA
 2   1 LA
 3   0 LA (Buyoff at 3)
 4   0 LA
 5   1 LA
 6   1 LA
 7   0 LA (Buyoff 2 levels after I acquire it as it 1 LA)
 8   0 LA
 9   0 LA
10  1 LA
11  1 LA
12  0 LA (Buyoff 2 levels after I acquire it as it 1 LA)
13  0 LA
14  0 LA
15  1 LA
16  1 LA
17  0 LA (Buyoff 2 levels after I acquire it as it 1 LA)
18  0 LA
19  0 LA
20  0 LA

Edit: Point is sort of mute now as my DM said yes anyway but im still interested in an answer

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
Edit: Point is sort of mute now as my DM said yes anyway but im still interested in an answer
That kind of buy off would be when you take the bloodline levels, but the actual buy off is here http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
Q 25 Why does a creature, such as the Goatfolk, have a +1 LA when it says right on there that it has 3 HD? If it has 3 HD, does that not mean it's LA +3?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
Q 25 Why does a creature, such as the Goatfolk, have a +1 LA when it says right on there that it has 3 HD? If it has 3 HD, does that not mean it's LA +3?
Because a HD is not the same as ECL. 3 HD and 1 LA means ECL 4.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
Which makes no sense to me whatsoever. The Goatfolk creature alone has racial HD 3d8, a CR of 2, and for PCs being one is LA +1. A Sand Giant has 15 HD, a CR of 10, and LA of +4.

From my understanding of how LAs work, a +1 would mean that I could have someone be a catfolk fighter at  1st level, take a -1 penalty to BAB, skills, saves, etc, and next level he or she could buy off that +1. That makes that person even. Now another player does the exact same thing here for the goatfolk. That makes no sense to me.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »
Which makes no sense to me whatsoever. The Goatfolk creature alone has racial HD 3d8, a CR of 2, and for PCs being one is LA +1. A Sand Giant has 15 HD, a CR of 10, and LA of +4.

From my understanding of how LAs work, a +1 would mean that I could have someone be a catfolk fighter at  1st level, take a -1 penalty to BAB, skills, saves, etc, and next level he or she could buy off that +1. That makes that person even. Now another player does the exact same thing here for the goatfolk. That makes no sense to me.

That isn't the way it works unfortunately. Catfolk fighter cant be played till level 2.
CR is to be ignored for player characters.

Goatfolk are ECL 4, Sand Giant is ECL 19
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:00:10 PM by Littha »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »
That isn't the way it works unfortunately. Catfolk fighter cant be played till level 2.
Oh sure you can. There's rules for that. For every LA you've got, you can take a penalty equal to your LA, which you can buy off. Or, you can go the Savage Species route, figure out what the base race for +0 would be, and take the +1 later as an actual level.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »

From my understanding of how LAs work, a +1 would mean that I could have someone be a catfolk fighter at  1st level, take a -1 penalty to BAB, skills, saves, etc, and next level he or she could buy off that +1. That makes that person even. Now another player does the exact same thing here for the goatfolk. That makes no sense to me.

CR is to be ignored for player characters.

Goatfolk are ECL 4, Sand Giant is ECL 19

A Catfolk Fighter 1 would be identical to a Human Fighter 1 (except with Catfolk racial traits), except that he would count as a level 2 character for the purposes of XP and the like. When he became a Catfolk Fighter 3, he could 'buy off' that LA, going from a level 4 character with 3 hit dice to a level 3 character with three hit dice. (You can buy off LA after a number of levels equal to the LA times three. 2 LA takes six levels to buy off one, and then three levels to buy off the other LA). A Goatfolk is basically a character with the racial traits of a Goatfolk, three 'levels' in his racial class (I assume Monstrous Humanoid), and one level adjustment. A Goatfolk with one level in Fighter would have 4 hit dice and count as a level 5 character.

Oh sure you can. There's rules for that. For every LA you've got, you can take a penalty equal to your LA, which you can buy off. Or, you can go the Savage Species route, figure out what the base race for +0 would be, and take the +1 later as an actual level.

Right, right, but them's variants.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:23:04 PM by Negative Zero »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »

Right, right, but that's a variant those are variants.
Corrected. I had more than one example there.

I mentioned it because that's the only way I know how to play with LAs. I've yet to meet a DM who actually has a template with the full +5 to make a character ECL 6, and allow a buyoff. It's always been the way I've mentioned. I understand the concept though, and this is why my confusion exists. Expecially when you look at Savage Species and you see 14 levels for something that's supposed to be LA +5. It just blows my mind to the point of inducing a migraine.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:43 PM »
Savage progressions are LA + HD, hence succubus has 13 levels despite having nowhere near that much LA.

You can only buy off 1 level of LA 5 every 15 levels... so you would need to be level 75 before you could do it, its no wonder you haven't seen it.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »

Right, right, but that's a variant those are variants.
Corrected. I had more than one example there.

I mentioned it because that's the only way I know how to play with LAs. I've yet to meet a DM who actually has a template with the full +5 to make a character ECL 6, and allow a buyoff. It's always been the way I've mentioned. I understand the concept though, and this is why my confusion exists. Expecially when you look at Savage Species and you see 14 levels for something that's supposed to be LA +5. It just blows my mind to the point of inducing a migraine.

Well, the other 9 are racial hit dice. Level adjustment are 'empty' levels in addition to the hit dice. In Savage Species, they didn't really make progressions for races that have LA and no hit dice, because "leveling up" without gaining hit dice sucks.

Savage progressions are LA + HD, hence succubus has 13 levels despite having nowhere near that much LA.

You can only buy off 1 level of LA 5 every 15 levels... so you would need to be level 75 before you could do it, its no wonder you haven't seen it.

Sort of. You can buy the first one off at level (5*3)=15, the second one at level (15+4*3)=27, the third at (27+3*3)=36, the fourth at (36+2*3)=42, and the final at level (42+1*3)=45.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »

Kind of explains the Medusa and Harpy too. But also not. I actually thought that all creatures were the same. But that makes sense too. I guess that means a Harssaf is going to be 10 levels too for the 6 HD and LA +4. Damn. Same as the Medusa.

As for the +5, that was just an example. But that doesn't mean it's unheard of in the group I'm in. It's what I'm going to be dealing with next campaign. I think the average person in our group has around 10-20 LAs that they can take.

Well, the other 9 are racial hit dice. Level adjustment are 'empty' levels in addition to the hit dice. In Savage Species, they didn't really make progressions for races that have LA and no hit dice, because "leveling up" without gaining hit dice sucks.
Just noticed that while going through it.

Glutton

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
Q27

Is a multi-martial adept character with prestige classes who chooses the optimal recovery method hurt by picking it for IL purposes?

Example a Swordsage 6 / Warblade 1 / Master of Nine 5 who pick their maneuvers to be recovered by their warblade mechanic. Would their IL be 11 or 9? And if they continued leveling after as a swordsage would their IL be 10 or 12 at swordsage 7?

drako_beoulve

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »
On Soulknives:

Q 28:Since Mind Arrow (Soulbow) is treated as Mind Blade for Feats that affect the last, would the following feats favors both mind weapons?:

Melee Weapon Mastering - Slashing
Melee Weapon Mastering - Piercing (For throwing mind blade / shot mind arrow)
Ranged Weapon Mastery - Piercing (For throwing mind blade / shot mind arrow)

Q 29:Is the Psionic Handbook Overrided by Expanded Psionic Handbook?, meaning PrC SoulKnife has been updated to a regular class and I cannot use SoulKnife X / PrC Soulknife Y builds.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:56:52 PM by drako_beoulve »