Author Topic: DM help?  (Read 2839 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
DM help?
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:09 PM »
I'm currently DMing a game where the PCs will gain sole control of a flying magical city and I need help making sure it will be usefull as a transport and siege weapon but wont totally annihilate everything they come across. I thought I might as well ask here as you guys can break just about anything lol.

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: DM help?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
Need more specifics.  What sort of stats does this flying city have?  How much can it transport?  How much can the PCs sell it for? etc.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »
give it a medium speed, like about the average speed of a horse-drawn wagon.  for armaments, give it ballistae and catapults. make sure to use the seige weapon rules for aiming; namely, profession(siege engineer).

as long as they are starting above level 3-4, it shouldn't be overpowered.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »
Need more specifics.  What sort of stats does this flying city have?  How much can it transport?  How much can the PCs sell it for? etc.

Being a city it is several miles across, its protected by a magic wall around it and a giant force shield (probabl somthing like mage armor in description) it attacks by channeling elemental energy through crystals on the walls as beams. No actual stats yet though. I dont know who would buy a floating city either...

It was made by a cilisation with advanced magical and tech combinations (guns that shoot elemental energy etc) the rest of the world is core D&D tech

hope that helps

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:25 PM »
magic ballista, 5d6 recharge 1 minute. In  Heroes of Battle.

Check the carrying capacity of colossal animated objects, then check what 24H flight goes for, these days. 12x5x800gp, or 48000GP, it seems use-activated 2/day 12h flight effect.

64200lbs heavy load per colossal creature, presuming they're also equipped with a 36000gp +6 STR item, and are quadrupeds. (how this works I dunnoo.....) Just have multiple of those linked up to get an any-size flying fortress.

You could also check out the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, but basically it's cost of building + cost of permanent animate object, + cost of 24 H of flight, + cost of +6 STR item, per... about 50ft by 50ft, actually, considering the 30ft face and 20ft reach. A moderately sized house, then.
3000XP for the permanency...
A Galley is 30 000 GP, and is 130ft long, 20ft wide. So, a flying ship base would be 112000GP.

The basic trick is, an animated object is a creature, and thus valid target to various boosts.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
Having it as an unintelligent creature is an interesting idea. I was going to have it as an artefact but it might be easier that way.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:17:08 AM »
I'm currently DMing a game where the PCs will gain sole control of a flying magical city and I need help making sure it will be usefull as a transport and siege weapon but wont totally annihilate everything they come across. I thought I might as well ask here as you guys can break just about anything lol.

Honestly, if you want it useful as a siege weapon don't put any weapons onto it.

Just give it the fly speed and let the PCs drop rocks off the edges.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:30:11 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »

Honestly, if you want it useful as a siege weapon don't put any weapons onto it.

Just give it the fly speed and let the PCs drop rocks off the edges.
gonna hafta second this.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 02:44:05 AM »
Third it.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 02:47:56 AM »

I'll address this issue as mechanically you can do that in a lot of ways but an even easier way is through the story. If they should start attacking cities/enemies with the flying magical city than that will naturally bring about attention to them and their kick ass flying magical city.

Enter pirates.

No One Wants This Guy Attacking Them!

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 03:59:11 AM »

I'll address this issue as mechanically you can do that in a lot of ways but an even easier way is through the story. If they should start attacking cities/enemies with the flying magical city than that will naturally bring about attention to them and their kick ass flying magical city.
The obvious thing to me is that you should make sure they can't land it on anything.  That would be my way of dealing w/ anything that offended me sufficiently if I had a floating city ...

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »

The obvious thing to me is that you should make sure they can't land it on anything.  That would be my way of dealing w/ anything that offended me sufficiently if I had a floating city ...
it would deal 20d6+(1d6 per 200 lbs. of weight) if you drop it on them. that's a lot
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
That would be an aweful lot of damage... saying it cant land should solve that then. Characters will be level 15/16 at this point though so i know they will be able to dish out the damage as is